ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Needed From Some PC/Network Guru's

CTR--VX220D
I shouldnt be asking this as I work in this sector!

I have 2 x laptops one for work, and one I have just bought [both Dells]

I was trying to network the both machines over a LAN created [still awaiting my wireless router - although Im on a 8MB pipe]

Stupidly I changed the domain on my works laptop was on to workgroups in the properties of My Computer. [had a few beers last night] That completely deleted the Domian I was on!!!

I then restarted the laptop and now I cannot even log onto it. The Domian has been deleted from the drop down list on my logon window - and my username and password is not recognised for the local computer.

Its ultra urgent that I have my laptop in working order as I am always using it to dial into sites for problems!!!

Ive tried dialling my helpdesk but they are in Canada and cannot get hold of an agent.

I can select 'Log on using a dial up connection' when I do this the connection is verified and accepted by my works servers but wont allow my laptops NT logon to be varified as my Domian is not present.

Is this a rebuild? - or can my IT guys help me out remotely?

I hope its not a rebuild as I have some pretty important stuff on there that I havent backed up in the last week.

Thanks guys!

Chris

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
you saying you can't log on locally?

Try logging on in safe mode as administrator - create a local account for your self as a administrator privs.

Then restart - log on locally then go to system properties - computer name and re-add your domain. On you re-boot you should have you drop down box available?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yaah man, you need to do what that guy above said, so a system restore to a previous point. if you can't log on you can still do a system restore, by booting from an xp disc, as if you are going to do a new install. and i think it should allow you to select a restore point, else have you tried doing the F5 key just before windows boots and select safe mode or something ?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
the it guys should be able to help, just say your girlfriend was using it, and she had an arguement with you and she messed it up.

CTR--VX220D
Yep done safe mode..... Im on win2k on that laptop due to compatibility issue with some of the equipment I connect to on XP.

My work hasnt given me any sw disks - probably due to not allowing us to change anything.

Looks like a 300mile round trip to Wales to get it fixed.

CTR--VX220D
the it guys should be able to help, just say your girlfriend was using it, and she had an arguement with you and she messed it up.

^^^Good idea! I should know better in my job role!!!^^^

Ive been thinking about dunking it in a bucket of water for a few hours to wreck the HD.... ;)

But needs some files in there.

Bumder With A Buffer
ok rather than "administrator" how about logging on as "admin" without a password??? I did that on my laptop and managed to get in and reset everything and i know jack about networking etc!

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i would take the hd out and connect it to your other computer, using like a usb power thing connector, copy your files from it, then bang the HDD on the table a few time and put it back in the laptop and say it just won't boot up :) may get a new laptop then :)

CTR--VX220D
^^^Thanks for the offer matey - I am in the midlands - never mind!^^^

Going to try 'admin' in safe mode.

If I connect the hardrive via USB to my new laptop will it see it as another drive without antering any security details?

Also does the HD get its power from the USB conncetion or would I need to power it elsewhere?

If you have any sort of usage policy on that laptop, You need to just contact your IT department and explain it.. Heh.
They'll have to rejoin it to the domain.

RB 182
Can they not create a temporary account on Active Directory for you to connect to the domain and then delete the account when your back on?

Sound like hes taken the machine out of the domain. The only way on now would be to login as local Administrator. Obviously the IT department would know the password but they ain't going to be giving it out over the phone as most companies use the same one across all installations.

RB 182
Sound like hes taken the machine out of the domain. The only way on now would be to login as local Administrator. Obviously the IT department would know the password but they ain't going to be giving it out over the phone as most companies use the same one across all installations.
Ah yes I get so used to having an account that can add to the domain you start forgetting it. The only thing which is going to be quick and work is the link a few posts back which is a tool you can use when the computer boots up so you don't need Windows to authenticate it, allowing you to change the administrator password.

Boxster S
I would goto this website and download EBCD bootdisk:
http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/ebcd-0.6.1-lite-sfx.exe

Do you have another machine that you can make and burn an ISO on? You can then boot off the cd and choose option 5 which will load up the option to edit the local admin password (this will also show you what the name of the account is).

I've used it loads of times when removing a pc from the domain without realising the admin password isn't our usual default.

Once you're into the machine as local admin you can connect it to the VPN and they can remotely control it to rejoin it to the domain.

Neil

CTR--VX220D
All fixed now!!!!!!

My IT Helpdesk gave me a call this morning - and actually gave me the Administrator password over the phone.... and that wasnt in safe mode ;)

I then connected to my VPN - then added my laptop to the domain.

Rebooted and logged in with my username!

Job done!

Thanks for the help though guys - im going to be more careful now!

Revels Mum & Sister
I would also look to download a copy of ERD commander

VERY handy boot disk, will let you reset passwords etc etc. View all Data on Hard drive WELL worth adding to your disks!