ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help please - rattle when clutch pedal is engaged

Volvo S40
Hi all,

Noticed when I parked up today that there was a rattle coming from somewhere in the engine bay but only when the clutch pedal was pressed while the car was in neutral at idle. The car seems to be driving fine, no signs of any clutch slip etc. The pedal is incredibly hard to press and I get juddering if I don't pull away with enough revs but have always considered both of these things to be normal.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be or if it's anything worth worrying about?

I would take a video but the noise won't be audible over the sound of my exhaust.

Many Thanks.

Volvo S40
first guess thrust bearing.
Thanks, looks like a clutch change may be on the cards soon then.
As far as I know the car is still on the original and it has 102k on the clock so I had imagined it would fail at some point during my ownership.
@Dan@SJM - what's your price for a clutch change please mate?

dan's cast offs.
they can last a hell of a lot longer. changed the wife the other month on 168,000 miles. bearing fell to bits but there was still life left on the plate!!

Volvo S40
Is there an estimated timeframe between a rattle and full on failure or is it a case of how long's a piece of string?

dan's cast offs.
if you pull the boot up where the arm goes in through the bell housing you can get a scope in and see how it looks.