ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help reading 182 OBD data

Can anyone help me diagnose this OBD2 data? The car has been getting lower than normal MPG and just sounds a little off to me (louder). I had it in the garage today to check for an exhaust leak but they said it is fine. Something has sounded different to the startup sound and general running sound since it had its gearbox replaced recently.

The software is showing the cat and oxygen sensor as being the issue. Is that the lambda sensor nearest the engine or nearest the cat? I've included the data for the sensors too, I don't really know what I'm looking at tbh. It was all taken at idle. Any help appreciated :)

Screenshot_20200717-145127.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-150653.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-145226.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-145259.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-145330.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-145353.jpg

Well it's actually easier to access than I thought. Problem is I don't have a spanner that fits and it isn't budging at all with grips. Even if I had the right spanner I really don't like putting that much force on a car held up on jack stands.

Might have to book it in to the garage again

Spray it up with plusgas or wd40 and try again tomorrow. Sure its an open ended 17 maybe 19mm spanner, or just go to Halfords for an adjustable. Little tap with a hammer on the end should loosen it. f**k going the garage to change them.

I tried a 17 and 19, which were too small. I've got a shifter at work I can bring home on monday but I'm working 12hour nights so won't have any spare time till next weekend

So I remembered that my old rotten cat has a lambda in it! I've been trying to get it out with grips and an oil filter gripping tool but it is solid! I was going to try swapping them if I can get the lambda off the clio, but both are putting up a good fight.

I'll nip to halfords first thing tomorrow for a 22mm spanner. If I can't get it off with that it will have to be a garage job

Thanks for the replies

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
So I remembered that my old rotten cat has a lambda in it! I've been trying to get it out with grips and an oil filter gripping tool but it is solid! I was going to try swapping them if I can get the lambda off the clio, but both are putting up a good fight.

I'll nip to halfords first thing tomorrow for a 22mm spanner. If I can't get it off with that it will have to be a garage job

Thanks for the replies

Give the lambda plug a good push through the ring spanner. It will fit!

Yeah I was looking at them on halfords site too. It's so far away from the bit you are trying to turn though. I feel like it would slip off easily with all that leverage

Well the spanner and hammer worked perfectly! Both came off very easily 👌
The hardest part was plugging the connector back in

Went for a drive and the mpg hadn't really changed. So I reset all fault codes and the mpg shot up to ~42mpg. That got my hopes up, thinking it was fixed. But as I drove it just kept dropping and dropping. Eventually going back to low 30s :(

So this lambda could also be knackered as it has been sitting for over a year, or there could be something else causing this.

I could still buy a new lambda tomorrow, or I could try swapping the rear and front lambda sensors. I'm not sure if either will fix it. It is still showing the oxygen sensor as not passed.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you really need to do a good 50-100 miles to get an accurate reading of your MPG once reset as every time you lift off it will read 99.9 and when your on the throttle going up hill it will drop into the teens

I've been testing it at 70mph with cruise control on a flat dual carriageway as a bench mark. Usually when I reset the counter at that speed it starts at ~42mpg and then adjusts slowly from there.

Just now it is starting at ~34mpg and sometimes as low as 29mpg. It's also still showing the emissions fault on the OBD2 reader. So something is still wrong.

I've ordered a new lambda which I'll try to fit tomorrow before work, which is about 50 miles each way. So I'll have a good idea by then if the new sensor has fixed it or not. Fingers crossed 🤞

Also had a little bit of a win today by finding why my coolant level has kept dropping recently. The expansion bottle is leaking, but only when the car is up to temperature. So I've ordered a new one from @renaultpartsdirect. It costs the same as the lambda sensor 😂

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I've been testing it at 70mph with cruise control on a flat dual carriageway as a bench mark. Usually when I reset the counter at that speed it starts at ~42mpg and then adjusts slowly from there.

Just now it is starting at ~34mpg and sometimes as low as 29mpg. It's also still showing the emissions fault on the OBD2 reader. So something is still wrong.

I've ordered a new lambda which I'll try to fit tomorrow before work, which is about 50 miles each way. So I'll have a good idea by then if the new sensor has fixed it or not. Fingers crossed 🤞

Also had a little bit of a win today by finding why my coolant level has kept dropping recently. The expansion bottle is leaking, but only when the car is up to temperature. So I've ordered a new one from @renaultpartsdirect. It costs the same as the lambda sensor 😂

Mental! The £15 ones are just as good!