ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help transferring WindowsImageBackup to MBP

1998 BMW e46 323i
Ok, I'm an apple noob.

Before I bought the Mac I manually backed up (no probs there) and used Windows backup on my old Win 7 laptop.

Now I've sold the laptop, and I have a MBP and loads of stuff I can't access because it's all saved as an image or whatever.

What do I do?

I've got the wife's vista laptop if that's any use.

So you backed up manually, then used the Windows backup?

What are the file extensions? Or is it just all lumped together?

1998 BMW e46 323i
Yeah mate, before July last year I was manually backing up, which isn't a prob. From then on I let Windows do it's thing...

The files are: vhd and xml

Is there a lot there? More than the Vista laptop can handle?

Not sure how it will cope going from 7 to Vista, but there's one way to find out.

Plug it into the Vista machine and see if it will unarchive it all. Then just copy it back to the drive manually, then onto the Mac.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I'm with you so far,..

There's 80gb, but I only want my Wedding Photos (from October - D'oh!) and I'm not sure how to unarchive?

VHD is Windows bundling all your folders etc together.

If you plug that into the Vista machine and double click it, it should spark into life and open it all up for you. Then that should give you access to all your files etc.

Cupra
You can open the VHD with 7Zip or Winrar and browse through what you need or I believe you can also mount the HD image (VHD) with MS virtual pc (free).

1998 BMW e46 323i
Hey Andy, I'll give 7ZIP a go.

I've just tried a guide and a program on the Windows machine, to no avail.