ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help tyres are rubbing!

Black 1.2 Extreme
So I got some 16" alloys fitted yesterday and also got the car lowered 40mm on apex springs, the back tyres were rubbing on the plastic inner lining on the wheel arch so I just took the wheels back off and removed the plastic linings

But now the front wheels are doing the same, should I just take them out aswell?

Im wanting to get some spacers to stop the running in the long run but I afraid I might get them spaced too much and then end up catching the tyres on the bodyword when i go over a bump/pot hole

Any suggestions?

What profile are the tyres? I thought 16''s on a 40mm drop would be fine. I don't have my front liners in, but wouldn't recommend it.

a low one
i dont get how it manages to rub? ive got the same wheels as you and when i was on 60mm they dont rub and my rears are now on 90mm and dont rub? do they rub on normal driving or just when turning?

Black 1.2 Extreme
normal driving
Its not rubbing on the actual arch
its just the inside of the tyre running on the plastic wheel arch cover, if i had spacers on it would be fine, im just concerned about how much to space it by

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
So your new wheels are the wrong offset them?

What offset are they, then people may be able to help on the spacer front

a low one
do you mean the inside of the liners where it has a big bump on it? and 15mm hubcentric spacers. make sure its not rubbing on the actual strut as mine did this on my coilovers and shredded the tyre wall

So it's not really because it's low, it's more that the high offset of the wheels means the tyre is fouling on the inside of the archliner? I'm a bit confused lol.

a low one
So it's not really because it's low, it's more that the high offset of the wheels means the tyre is fouling on the inside of the archliner? I'm a bit confused lol.

me too. ive got the same wheels as him and are over twice as low? my cousin even had the same model as his with the same wheels and was lowered 70mm on the back with no rubbing?

Black 1.2 Extreme
It is not the hight of the wheel + alloys or the lowering of that car that is the problem
The inside of the tyre wall is rubbing against the archlines as will.clio said

So will some spacers just sort the problem without having to remove the wheel arch liners?

a low one
it cant be just the " inner wall " as it would scrub on your front suspension strut before the arch liner? have you checked its actually the arch liners or are you just assuming?

The front wheels can't rub on the inside as they'll hit the strut before they touch the arch liner.

What wheels are they?

Black 1.2 Extreme
I have checked the arch liners are touching the inner wall of the tyre, surely if i just fit some spacers it should solve the problem and it is not actually rubbing on the arch, only the liners on the inside

Black 1.2 Extreme
I know i do not have much knowledge of cars
But the inner arch liner is definatly rubbing against and touching the tyre

a low one
it will be hitting the top of the tyre then, it is not able to touch the inner wall of the tyre unless it is rubbing on your strut.

Jack your car up with the wheel bolts out, pull the wheel slightly away from the hub but still on the spiggot ring and spin it. if it spins freely then all you need is spacers. if not then youll need bigger hubcentric spacers

LOL thanks.

Anyway, I've no idea how 172 alloys are managing to rub on 40mm springs when mine didn't on 60mm. If it turns out they are however then the biggest spacer you can pretty much fit are 15mm each side, they won't rub off the bodywork on 40mm springs.

a low one
thats what i thought, ive got 90mm custom springs in mine and get no rubbing? im running 15mm spacers on the front and its at the max you could go without fouling body work!

a low one
QUOTE=Fred@BTM;7503667]they can when you turn the steering wheel ;)[/QUOTE]

He said it was when normal driving and not turning. :rasp:

Black 1.2 Extreme
As I have said, it has got nothing to do with the 40mm drop of the 16"alloys
The tyres are just catching on the plactic wheel arch liner, im going to buy some spacers today and im sure that will solve the problem

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've just realised my 205.45.16s are rubbing the inner arches on standard 172 alloys. Is it easy to sort? It looks like arch liner has sagged/bowed a bit with s**t collecting behind.