ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!

Clio sport 172
Hello, I hope this is the right place to leave this post, I'm fairly new to this site, but am at a loss to know what exactly is the best option.
Long story, I have a black Clio 172 2002 reg sa02ssz, previous car to someone on this forum I think.
Used to run perfect, recently the exhaust sounded louder and blowy, now there's a ticking sound coming from the engine, also very sluggish, and pauses(feels like the handbrake is applied momentarily when accelerating, also makes a slight grinding sound when easing off the accelerator, a quote from a joe-bloggs garage stated it could be the cam belt and w-pump, they apparently looked and said both were okay, and it must be the cam belt timing sensor?, quoted me £1020, I politely declined, and sank into a state of confusion, a family friend has a neighbour who works as a mechanic and by all accounts is a no messing straight up guy who knows his stuff and works out of hours from home, upon limping to his house he lifted the bonnet, asked me to start the car, put his hand on the engine and said he could feel vibration, and it was engine related(shocker), he noted the previous garage hadn't even loosened the nuts and probably didn't want to touch it, he told me it was probably the VVT sensor, and said it could cost mega bucks in labour, and was too long a job to make it worth him doing it from home as he would be turning other projects away, and that he'd have to take it to work(kerchinggg), he told me I could throw a grand at it and not even cure what could be wrong, so advised me to remove my pro race wheels, put back the originals, and sell asap citing 'engine noise'.
The car is sound besides this problem, and while it could be terminal, I was wondering what the chances of someone being interested with a view to stripping it of any usable parts, or even having a decent engine to fit into a chassis that may be in better nick than their own...Sure it's an 11 yr old car but looks pretty sound for its age.
I'm reluctant to just have it scrapped as 1 I wouldnt get much back, and 2, i've got the car under my skin and would hate to see it taken off the road for something that someone somewhere might be able to take on as a project.
HELP, anyone have any ideas, or any possible price opinions....it's just done 80k, 6k of those by me. Email abstract.designz@yahoo.co.uk w-s-m.
Sorry I forgot to note, there's about 4months tax and about 4 months mot left on the car, also the service light and airbag light are on, which I've read is easily fixable, but I have little to no mechanical knowledge, which would make buying a Clio suicide, what's worse this was my first ever car, so a real baptism of fire, but so enjoyable to drive.

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182
Just replace the VVT sensor 1st, it's on top of the rocker cover to the rear left. Although i'm not that clued up about these timing systems so not sure if you could get away without putting a new belt on.