ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi All, first time Renault owner

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Happy holidays all!

For as long as I've been driving, Renaultsport have been making drivers' cars and I've always deeply admired them for it. As a Honda man I felt like they had taken over the mantle for making exciting and engaging affordable cars. With the low income of a student I read Evo magazine cover to cover and built up the iconic cars such as the Clio Trophy and then R26.R as real working class heroes; the sort of cars I would aspire to own once working full time.

Jump forward a decade and despite being a massive driving enthusiast and having owned quite a number of different cars, I've never dipped my toe into the Renaultsport pool until now.

A little about my motoring past, I started off with classic Minis as my father spent his working life building engines for them. I had (and rolled) a 998cc as my first car before progressing, having learnt to drive a bit, to a well modified Clubman.
From there I went Japanese with a series of mk2 Honda CRXs, modified to varying degrees, then an S2000 and more recently I got into trackdays and started a love affair with MX5s.

My partner and I are now fortunate enough to have a lovely BMW 435d as our nice car, I have a fairly ridiculous, borderline time attack, Honda-powered MX5 track car and a share in another MX5 as a cheap winter track slag. Our second car, used mainly for running to the train station and about town has been an Audi A2, but I desperately missed having a small, fun, manual road car.

That brings us up to date and we have replaced the Audi with a Clio 200 Cup.
I was looking at R26s (couldn't afford the .R) and other similar hot hatch alternatives, but decided I preferred the more modern feel and mechanical simplicity of the Clio.

Despite the car having utter crap tyres (why do people do this on drivers cars?), I've been thoroughly impressed with the little terrier! It's just so much fun and I can't believe Renault make something so focused as a normal, full production road car! For the first time in a while I keep going out in the evenings and just driving! :smiley:

As you can tell, I can ramble on a bit so I'll leave it there and pop some pictures of the Clio here, I'm chuffed with it!

Last edited:
  200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 96

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
welcome chap, Clio's all good and well but I'm intrigued by the Honda powered mx, think we need details and pics of that ;)

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
welcome chap, Clio's all good and well but I'm intrigued by the Honda powered mx, think we need details and pics of that :wink:

I don't need to be asked twice! It's my pride and joy so I'll shamelessly whore it at any opportunity!... :D

It's an F20 S2000 engine and gearbox mated to the MX5 rear end. Has been going well and seen lots of track use but having fitted a supercharger I've now got a high-rev misfire that's proving a devil to diagnose. Very frustrating but will be worth it in the end.

A few pics and a vid:

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

(Good stuff from about 2:45)