ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High emissions

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I had an MOT today.

The emissions were through the roof.

HC: ~350
Co2: 8.5
Lambda: 0.68

What do I need to be looking at?

I occasionally get intermittent emissions light with a lambda fault - it usually clears its self and I haven't seen it for a very long time.

I've just had the inlet manifold, exhaust manifold etc. Off, so I guess its worth checking pipes etc.

What else? I have the facility to get live data from the ecu, what should I be checking?

I noticed when following my car to a friends (who took it for MOT) that it was chucking out a bit of black smoke - although the car had been sat for ages, the car was cold and it was cold and dark out - I could have been mistaken.

The car also had new plugs recently (NGK platinum jobbies from g172)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks, Dan.

According OBD, lambda 1 jumps between 0.03v to 0.68-0.74v

Lambda 2 sits at a solid 0.74v

Although, graphing it after restarting the car gave me this:
9any3e7u.jpg

Fuel trim:
9azuje9e.jpg

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
It should jump from 0.2v to 0.7 Ish.

Thanks.

I guess the voltage readings on the pre-cat lambda (I assume that'd be number 1?) are pretty conclusive, then.

Can I just swap pre and post lambdas?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Fortunate.

I've just been given an Intermotor Zirconia universal lambda that was originally bought for a 172.

I assume these Lambdas are all the same?

I would stick with a bosch one personally. Got an old but working one in the garage if you want it for cheap. Alternatively I think they are about 60 quid off the bay last time I bought one.

Heres what the pre cat lambda should be reading

Screenshot_2013-06-18-21-36-44_zpsd115fb6e.png

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
That graph is handy, thanks.

I think I'll give this one a crack - but I wouldn't mind a spare in case it goes tits up.

How much would you be asking?

Whenever I hear the word universal in a car product alarm bells ring lol. Like you say if it fixes it tho worth a shot.

15 quid posted if you still want one.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'll take that if only just to keep as a spare. Pm me your details.

As for being universal - there are only really two common types of lambda, with the only difference being how they are wired up and the type of plug fitted. It kind of makes sense to sell universal ones if there are lots of cars with a common boss size.

Yeah I think you're probably right. Ive only used bosch or NGK in this instance. I like to replace like for like :) alright ill send you a PM in a sec.