ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High milage 1*2's

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hiya guys, im thinking of getting a 1*2 to replace the 1.2 but budget wise i can only stretch to 2k, which seems to get you a fairly decent but high milage sport.

Question is, are higher milage sports unreliable/expensive?

Thoughts please. Cheers :D

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ha, yeh I know! Mines up for sale, not told the bf yet! :D

Everytime i see a sport I want one! Theres a monaco just round the corner for £1800, but its dinged to hell.

ph1 track weapon
theres a minter of a ph1 on ebay at £1300........70k miles with the belts done in december

You'll be able to find a good example of a 172 with sub 100k miles for £2,000 or less no problem.

If you invest some hours over a at least a couple or so weeks then you'll strike gold. I got mine 2 weeks ago for £2,000 for a 53 plate 172 Cup with 82.7k, which I only consider "quite high" miles. Just try and get one that seems genuine with some good history / receipts and the belts done and you're sorted.

Roland has linked to a good one! That seems great value!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
cheers guys, If I go for a ph1 It has to be flame red (which I have found on ebay, have pm'd him) or black.

Ph2 silver, flamer or monaco!

Cheers boys :)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ha ha, I did find him. But not found it for sale?

I really love that ph1 on ebay!

WRX
There's quite a few in that bracket with between 60 and 80,000 depends what you class as low mileage. I think FSH and belts change are the things to look for most.

mines on 115k now was only on 75k when i bought it 15months ago.. just usual stuff has gone on mine such as wheel bearings although the drive shaft and box went but thatl be more down to be not giving it an easy life as Fletcher has said look for FSH

Renault Traffic
as said above as long as any car ha god service history and lots of receipts to prove works done i wouldnt hesitate buying a higher mileage one, just take your time and view a few to get a gauge

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
condition is everything. Don't worry about miles as long as the mileage/age related jobs have been done. F4R's love mileage as long as they're serviced

koi

Audi S1
My 182 hasn't given me too much bother and is relatively high milleage. Had to have shocks, bearings and thermostat done but class this as wear and tear.

mondeo titanium tdci
Mines on 94000 miles and never missed a beat been one of the best cars I've owned and it's the one with the highest mileage :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Most my cars have been high milage. Condition/history is what you are looking for.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My Ph1 172 has 122,000 on it now and it still goes like stink. I had the belts and dephaser done a few months ago and fitted K-Tec engine mountings, braided lines and dot 5 fluid. The car has been brilliant over the last three and a half years. I was at the Northwest Stages on Saturday with it and several of the marshals commented how impressed they were with it.( I wasn't competing by the way!) I took one of the marshals out on track in it at Oulton Park recently in the pouring rain and he was amazed how well it was gripping despite standing water everywhere and heavy rain most of the day. I use DS2500 pads all round, Brembo HC front discs and Pagid solid rears. Toyo R1-R tyres all round and a rear strut brace for track days. Induction is standard Clio 172 airbox with a greenstuff cotton filter element.
I'm off to Demon Tweeks in a minute for a stainless steel exhaust system after the centre pipe snapping on saturday coming back from Blackpool. The mild steel one from Renault is over £200 just for the centre section so its a no brainer. £354 fitted for a cat back system.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ours is on nearly 140K and still trackdays fine etc, they dont really seem to suffer wear badly these particular engines.

On balance though, low miles is always going to give you an advantage in terms of it being a decent condition engine.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Also looks to me like the high milers are pulling better RR figures too as of late.

Iceberg 172
Re Sale is the only tough part of a high miler, people often look at mileage first before turning up to view the car!
But hey, if you paid less for it you could take less for it after you have finished!