ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot hatch advice

Street Triple R

Hi Guys

im looking into getting a hot hatch (currently got a VTS and an evo IV), my cousin has a cup and i think they are brilliant cars so that is currently top of my list although i also wanted any opinions on other hatches i know this is a renault site but does anyone have any opinions about other hot hatches such as the 306 gti-6 etc

im not particurarly interested in cars tuning potential as that isnt really my thing but out of the few cars im looking at what would be your opinions, say all the cars are standard

1) Clio Cup

2)MK1 172 (not mk2 sorry)

3)Clio Williams

4)306 GTI-6/rallye

5)Ibiza Cupra turbo

6) any others??

thanks for any advice peeps, im not really looking at what would win in a race...more how much of a drivers car each one is

Jon

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

If youre not interested in tuning, dump the idea of the Ibiza, truely awful when standard!

306 GTI-6/rallye! thats def my choice.............6 gears of pure fun and build quality!.......................check out /

www.306gti6.com

If youre after a proper drivers car, it has to be the Williams every time. Just make sure you buy a good one.

Oh no - this could be a long thread Jon;)

1) Clio Cup - Fastest - dont think its as hardcore as the Rallye/Williams

2)MK1 172 (not mk2 sorry) Rhyss is very fast - would take the Cup instead if I had the money tho

3)Clio Williams Not as fast as the Cup/most 172s;) in a straight line but more hardcore - is what I own and wouldnt swap it for any on the list. The car I have liked more than any other ive driven/owned including my mates Scoob/RX7(although could do with their power)

4)306 GTI-6/rallye - not an expert on these but Rallye is supposed to be similar to the Williams but bigger (I prefer small and chuckable tho)

5)Ibiza Cupra turbo - if your not modding I wouldnt bother - not fast enough and not great handling as standard

Theres a Williams review a the bottom of the page on this link

http://www.warrender.co.uk/test0013.htmhttp://www.warrender.co.uk/test0013.htmhttp://www.warrender.co.uk/test0013.htm

Titanium 182

ibiza and spend 700 at jabba sport (i know you dont want to mod) but when you see the amount of torque and 60bhp they will give you you wont regret the untamed version

I used to have a Cup, but the build quality was awful. I now have a 306 Rallye, and it feels much more solid. Pretty much as quick as the Cup, much rarer and sounds better :D

Depends what youre after, but if you can find a mint 205 1.9 GTI or 306 GTI-6 or Rallye youll have a whale of a time. Are you after a track car, general runabout or cheap alternative to the Evo????

Street Triple R

thanks for all the info so far people, keep it coming :) i love hot hatches, so much fun to drive, often more fun than the evo! but i guess this could be a long thread yeh hopefully lol :) i want as many opinions as possible! just looking for a great drivers car...hmm if only i could test them all, on the same day!..that would be good

Street Triple R

i actually had a 205 gti 1.9 a little while ago but i just didnt get on with it so i sold it...maybe i just had a bad one im not sure (it was very late l-reg with a cat and everything so maybe they were a bit slower) but i have use of a 1.6 gti which i actually really preffered, it was much more revvy and light..as i said maybe i had a bad 1.9

bikeman - no im actually thinking of getting rid of both the vts and the evo for just one great car! i dont really use the evo enough to justify having it and where i live (croydon) its also difficult to use its full potential anyway

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 13 January 2004

If youre after a proper drivers car, it has to be the Williams every time. Just make sure you buy a good one.
Enough said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remapped derv Golf

Arent will talking different leaque (in terms of price?)

A good mk1/Cup will cost you at least 8k - 10k where as a good GTI6, Rallye or Williams is only between 4k- 7k.

I tested loads of cars after selling my 16V - including a Cup, many 106 GTis and so on during the autumn, the result of which was that I found the Williams suited me best. If youre used to an Evo, then the difference between the straight line speed of a Williams, Cup, 306 etc wont mean much - none of them are meaningfully quicker than each other, or a VTS, on the open road.

Find a good Williams and youre onto something very special. Probably not best suited to high mileage commuting and being left in inner-city car parks, but Id imagine with cars like an Evo that youre used to that.

Consider a Clio 16V if you want the thrills of a Williams for 50% less cash. Mint Williams are rare (theyre rare anyway) and youll have to be committed to spending a good few weeks searching.

The Jinx

And for a really unique choice theres the Xsara VTS. Not as light as its sister 306 Rallye and one gear less though.

But because of its laclustre looks (although I dont think the pre 01Y cars are that bad TBH) theyre quite a bit cheaper than the 306 Rallyes. Having owned a non sporty Xsara and driven a few sportier 306s I prefer the Xsara. But then I havent driven the VTS and Rallye.

I wasnt overimpressed with the 172 (PH2) that I drove. It banged a lot under hard acceleration and I didnt find it very involving). It was fast, sure, and went round corners well but it just seemed a bit detached. Im not overly impressed with the build quality of my PH2 Clio dci either. I would like to try the Cup though and think that the pre-facelift Mk2 Clios feel better screwed together (which is why Id like a mk1 172 in the future)

Ibizas are roly poly and underpowered as standard.

Dont know about the original Clios as havent yet driven one, but I am looking to get a 16v soo myself. The 4500rpm hit of Paul1178s got me hooked.

1) Clio Cup. Never driven one, but on my list of next car to own

2)MK1 172 (not mk2 sorry). I would prefer a cup, but then i like that stripped feel. Fantastic car

3)Clio Williams. I bought one, loved it, so i bought another. When ive got the cash ill buy another (i want a 3)

4)306 GTI-6/rallye. Sorry no experience, but if they are rare i like them

5)Ibiza Cupra turbo. Turbos suck pop on a hot hatch

6) any others?? Not as good as the ones above except perhaps the 106 gti

Street Triple R

thanks for all the replies, i think i will have to at least test drive a williams, they certainly seem to get some good reviews, what sort of price would i be looking at for a really well looked after williams? also which variant should i look for 1, 2 or 3, im pretty new to (sporting) clios so its gonna take me a little while to catch up :)

i think i have at got it down to a choice between either the williams, a cup or a 306 gti-6/rallye

i have to discount the 106 gti on the fact that i currently have a VTS, it would just be too similar;) great car though

one other thing that i find is often overlooked a little bit is how good the gearbox is, i have been in lots of good cars which have been let down a bit by the gearbox, my saxo vts being one of them (maybe its just mine im not sure) so how smooth are the changes on any of these cars??

Thanks again for all your replies

Only two I can compare as in have done any real miles in are gti-6 and williams. gti6 is better all round car, nicer driving position nicer gearbox, nicer sound etc. Both similar pace. But on a b road the williams goes that bit harder. If I had 5k Id get a williams, 6k Id get the gti6. As I understood it the rallye has cloth seats no air con and a 15kg weight saving, not really worth it.

Willy2

I dont know what you should get, i think the cup is nice, I drive a williams and love it, I think the williams is the best package, handling ect. Not the fastest but a true drivers car, i just love going out and driving it, driving to work has never been sooo much fun!

If youre after an everyday car, and only one car, then I wouldnt buy a Williams. It would require too much looking after to keep it mint.

Id go for something newer, such as the Cup, 172 or GTI-6. Theyre fairly easy to come buy and should suit you well.

The Rallye is definitely worth it compared to the GTI-6. Theyre much rarer, as there were only 491 imported to the UK. I have one of the 150 or so white ones in the country ;)

How about a Xsara VTS WRC replica? You could build it yourself for not much cash...

Just one other point looking at that pic above. Its a nice car and all, but a bit too much like the standard cars. Seeing a Williams with its gold wheels, bonnet buldge and Williams decals, is something special. I think the williams does look good in a rear view mirror. Its got to be one of the best looking hot hatches, if nothing else.

2.0 ltr normally aspirated. 167bhp as standard, plus you can get all the Peugeot Sport group A and N rally bits for the engine and chassis :D

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 13 January 2004

thanks for all the replies, i think i will have to at least test drive a williams, they certainly seem to get some good reviews, what sort of price would i be looking at for a really well looked after williams? also which variant should i look for 1, 2 or 3, im pretty new to (sporting) clios so its gonna take me a little while to catch up :)
Williams: The original homologation special, 400 RHD cars, numbered individually and made in late 1993. Basically, Renaultsport took advantage of FIA Rallying rules that allowed engine capacity of up to 2.0 litres when the car was homologated (at the time, they were using the 1764cc Clio 16V as the homologation car). In order to do this, they had to make 2500 road-going 2.0 Clio examples. The car was named the Williams to celebrate the Nigel Mansel/Williams/Renault F1 victories, although it was basically untouched by Williams F1 Engineering Ltd. Nevertheless, Frank Williams is among the Clio Williams more famous owners.

The original edition was based on the Phase1 Clio 16V, with the various modifications basically concentrated on making the best hot hatch of the day an even more fitting home for the new Group A/N rallying 2.0 F7R engine. The Willy also wore that unmistakable trademark combination of 449 Sports Blue bodywork and gold/silver rimmed Speeline wheels, with wider tracks filling the 16Vs already pumped-up arches and sporting a larger colour-coded rear lip spoiler. There are lots of little extra bits over the 16V, like a double skinned front & rear subframe, bigger anti-roll bars, beefed up gearbox with a taller 5th ratio, different springs and damper settings, no sunroof to improve rigidity, blue carpets and interior finishing etc etc.

The distinguishing features the original Willy has over the Williams 2 and 3 are the Phase1 exterior/interior trim ("retro" would be kind ;)), lack of sunroof/electric mirrors/ABS/basic sound system. None of the three editions have any mechanical differences worth mentioning.

Williams 2: Such was the amazing public and press reception for the original Williams (see http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asphttp://www.SPAN style=COLOR: windowtext>cliosport/SPAN.net/articles/williams-2.asp), that Renault produced a second batch of Willies in 1994: much to the anger of the original Williams owners. Still, with numbers of RHD cars at less than 400, these are again very rare. These were also Phase2 cars, which in line with the general Clio range are smoother-looking and more soundproofed cars - see elsewhere for details. The Willy 2 gained some of the refinements of the Clio 16V lost on the original Williams, such as electric mirrors. Still no sunroof or ABS and still 449 Sports Blue in colour.

Williams 3: Renault again gave in to the pressure and produced a final edition in 1995. These cars were again limited to under 400 RHD examples and were Phase2 models. They are distinguished by their Monaco Blue pearlescent paintwork (shared with the later Clio 16V), which is a lighter colour than the 449 Sports Blue. These final editions came with an electric sunroof - and ABS as standard (I think, or at least a very popular option).

My opinion is that none of these cars is generally in better condition as a group than the other. I looked at all three when buying mine and thought that they were about the same, with the Willy 3 in fact being the main catergory of high milers. To some extent at least, its the look and your view that decides your favourite: Willy as the rally homologation, Willy 2 the best of both worlds and Willy 3 as the refined final edition.

Ultimately, theyre very similar in looks and are identical under the skin - and as "the Best Hot Hatch Ever", thats just as well!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Out of that lot, ide definatley go for the williams.

Rare, fast, handle on rails with go-cart handling, good low down torque, and stick out like a sore thumb compared to its lesser models.

Go for a willy 2 or 3 or you wont be disappointed.

Lee

BMW M2C

Ill chip in.

I had a GTi-6 for a while, but had to sell to make way for a company car. If they were still available today Id have had one over the 172.

Engine wise it was impressive and the 6 speed box meant the ratios were very close, but it was the chassis that was its strongest point. It was practically impossible to upset its balance. To get yourself in a mess you would really have to be moving. The passive rear wheel steering really did work. The steering was perfectly weighted and gave better feedback than the Clio. Engine note was nice and gruff. The interior was a little dated, but the driving position and seats couldnt be falted.

One thing Im not so sure of with the Clio is it feels a bit too small to me at times. The Pug did have a more substantial feel about it being that bit bigger.

Looks wise most people couldnt see why I liked it. Its under stated, yet stylish, and has aged extremely well. Just what a good hot hatch should be, obvious to spot by those in the know but not over the top.

How good did she look: :D

http://www.leemather.plus.com/images/pug5.jpg

I went from a 306 Rallye to a Cup and have no regrets. I test drove a couple of Cups ( about a year ago now ) before I bought one and whenever I jumped back into the Rallye after a test drive it just felt a bit limp ( and I know my Rallye was a quick ) The Rallye is a great car, great engine, box and handling, but just not quite as sharp as the Cup. The Cup pulls from low revs to the redline whereas the Rallye only seemed to feel quick in the 4 - 5k rev powerband. The 6 - speed box is superb and the brakes on the Rallye are mint. Handling wise the Rallye is very good but you really have to be wary of lift off oversteer. The Cups handling is excellent and very predictable so you can rag it without having to worry about getting that opposite lock on like the 306. The biggest thing against the Rallye ( and GTi-6) is the dated-ness of the whole thing. The interior is straight out of my dads 306 1993 LX Diesel. and the exterior is looking its age ( the big rear window has not aged well ) The Rallye is a great car a worthy Evo 5* car ( when you compare it with whta was available at the time ). All I can say is drive one, then drive a Cup.

Street Triple R

hello peeps :) thanks for all your opinions and advice etc, i have definately discounted a few of the cars i was thinking about, its now down to the final 3 lol, i think i will just have to go and test each of them and just see what i prefer...it seems that all 3 of them are good cars, each with their own good and bad points, same as any car i guess

so its either....

The Clio Cup 172 - Most modern/most expensive

The 306 GTI-6 - good value/6 gears - dated maybe

Clio Williams - Classic Hot hatch - hard to find a good one???

decisions decisions!

thanks again, its really helped me :)

like you say mate, i think its best you go out and drive all three, but give them a good drive. its all down to personal taste at the end of the day. one mans williams is another mans cup etc.

just out of interest whereabouts in croydon are you? dont see too many evos knocking around!

Street Triple R

im just in shirley which is just outside croydon really, nah you dont see many evos around here really, im on my own :(

hhm, ill have to keep an eye out. im a stones throw from shirley. what colour is it.

and just to keep on topic, id take the williams over all the others.

Street Triple R

yeh, ill have a look for a white valver with gold wheels, its blue by the way, i would post a pic but im not sure how! i aint great with computers!

right so its another vote for the williams then :)

Clio 182

dean do you live in addington?? im sure iv seen you before and asked if you was selling the car! lol!

iv never seen an evo in shirley, lots of scoobys, never evos!