ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you take panaramic images?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I dont even know if they are called that :eek:

The type of images that are long and are photos stitched together. Im a bit confused on how you take them?

Im guessing you need a tripod? Take an image at a starting point then keep moving the camera on a fixed point?

Then merge them all in PS? Is that right?

Cupra
Make sure you include a certain amount of overlap in each image.. makes it easier to stitch together. Photoshop has a handy function to do it for you automatically too.

Titanium 182
How do you actually "stitch" the pictures together in PS ?

Anyone have a link to a guide or anything knocking about ? :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Also if there are clouds moving in the sky, or things active in the scene, make sure you're quick between photos. :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Make sure you include a certain amount of overlap in each image.. makes it easier to stitch together. Photoshop has a handy function to do it for you automatically too.

Fancy telling me the name of the function mate so i can do a google on it please :D

Thanks for the replies, im going to give it a quick go in the back garden now :cool:

There's some good FREE software by Microsoft that's excellent at doing panos. Cant remember what it's called, but im sure google will know :)

Love photomerge,

Did this using my s**t point and shoot, just took about 15 overlapping pictures and put them into photomerge in photoshop, No tripod thats why its s**t but still impressed me.

roompano2.jpg

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
OMG! Photoshop is actually awesome! Here is my first attempt - made up of 4 images. Nothing exciting as iv just done it quick on the automatic setting on my d60.

Im going out around Sheffield city centre tonight to practise night photos so will hopefully have some better images!

8daf9acf.gif

182 (Conversion)
Try to set your focal length around 50mm to avoid as much linear distortion as possible. Here are a few I've done (all photomerged in PS):

Hand-held effort:
2668747470_5e1f7afb7d_b.jpg

Tripod effort (done in a grid to stop a stretched out image):

2613330230_40f4794f75_b.jpg

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeh thats the image i was trying to look for to show as an example & the main reason for this thread but i forgot where i found it :eek:

Looks ace Gaz's

182 (Conversion)
Oh and use the camera in manual settings with the same shutter speed and aperture.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i tend to use my 20mm and then cut the top and bottom off to create my own pamoramic with one shot ;)

172 Cup
Stitched together from 22 shots (Not mine) with a really impressive outcome -

2223343665_3e5496aae9_o.jpg

Edit - I'm not sure it was 22 shots after all but I'm sure one of you expects will know how it was done.

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
  top of the pyramid
If you like the 360 tours, have a look here: http://www.theplaceswelive.com/ (need to follow it through to the four countries and then view the family homes). Worth taking the time though, some stunning photos, but then it is Magnum.

Yeah there nice alot of distortion though when moving on the virtual tours

I work for revolution viewing btw, might talk to those guys at magnum though looks like a good project, do you know who the client was?

Im just off to do a virtual tour of the millenium bridge in newcastle now.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah there nice alot of distortion though when moving on the virtual tours

I work for revolution viewing btw, might talk to those guys at magnum though looks like a good project, do you know who the client was?

Im just off to do a virtual tour of the millenium bridge in newcastle now.

Did notice that some of the lines and photos didn't match up, but on the whole it is impressive like you say. The only information I can find is that it is exhibited by the Aperture Foundation (wiki). I think the photographer was Jonas Bendiksen.

Sounds like you have a cool job pal, slightly jealous!

Cupra
There are some really nicely done ones here.

I have only ever done two, both with an old Sony P&S.

3792631633_5c545a7823_o.jpg

3793444064_f5b8765818_o.jpg