ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How is the 172 Cup so much lighter than a 182?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
I am sure this will have been discussed elsewhere but anyone got any ideas?

All I can see is slightly lighter seats no aircon and lighter exhaust right? does that add up to 70kg?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Still seems a lot...would make me think that a 182 with lighter front seats, no rear seats and partially stripped, no engine cover and AC removed should be getting close to 3 figures but that cant be right? Right?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I weighed mine when I had it, back to back with a mate's standard 172 and the figures were pretty much bang-on what the manufacturer claims.

As above, thinner carpet and glass, less sound deadening, crappy seats (especially the rear), no ABS, no AC, lighter wheels, it all adds up.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Still seems a lot...would make me think that a 182 with lighter front seats, no rear seats and partially stripped, no engine cover and AC removed should be getting close to 3 figures but that cant be right? Right?

The standard front seats in most cars are bloody heavy, so plenty of weight to be saved there. The AC compressor, rad, pipes etc add up too. Even sound deadening and the like is surprisingly heavy.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
When you start removing stuff from a non cup you soon start to see where the weight is.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Ok so what do you reckon you could lose without "ruining" the car.

I dont want to RIP out carpet, I dont want to remove ac etc but do want to lose some decent weight, if only to help the brakes last a bit longer

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Totally amazed it’s got thinner glass! I guess it’s been confirmed but reminds me of the subaru “it’s got thinner glass” and it was a myth apparently.

If it was for cup racing, wouldn’t the windows be replaced with plastic anyway?

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Ok so what do you reckon you could lose without "ruining" the car.

I dont want to RIP out carpet, I dont want to remove ac etc but do want to lose some decent weight, if only to help the brakes last a bit longer
About 40kg ish. Which probably isn't really worth it for road use.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
It's a track car but I just don't quite want to gut it yet ...maybe I should just get over it and stripnir properly

Clio 172 Cup
I have owned a full fat 182 and now own a cup and any cup owner will tell you you can actually feel the difference in the characteristics in how the car feels , all has been mentioned above I can’t think of much else has the cup splitter and spoiler and doesn’t have the zenons if these make any difference and no rain sensitive wipers or reflective windscreen

I think he needs to learn how to drive it faster, get better tyres, suspension, brakes and brake fluid, then worry about saving weight.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Do the easy, free stuff like spare wheel, rear seats, carpet etc, and then spend money on the important stuff like pads, brake fluid and some track days.

If you get the bug you will probably want to strip it more, if you don't then you can chuck stuff back in and no harm done.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Second track day is booked for next week

I've done brakes...discs pads new calipers fluid new lines etc

Booking more tuition

Need to do tires and seats and steering wheel etc but the appeal of stripping the car is its Free😁😁😁