ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long to Clay your car?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
How long does it take you guys to fully Clay bar your entire car?

Curiousity is getting the better of me :)

106 GTi
All depends on how contaminated the car is - about an hour normally including the glass and wheels.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
took me about that too, I thought it was jus tme bein slow. Well worth it though :)

Didnt know you could use it on glass.

I hadafull body respray about 1500 miles ago, and im starting to notice black spots in the paint that appear to be under the laquer? Are these contaminants?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
they weren there when i picked it up though i ASSURE you. They have definately bein picked up after? Maybe they arent under the laquer?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
you think it could be tar? if so will claying get this off? I've got a brand new Meguires Clay kit un opened in my garage, I got it free. might use it 2moz, wetehr dependant

ST
Yeah it could be tar and clay will remove SOME tar spots tho not all.

Your paint is still fairly new so keep this in mind mate, if you can put up with it the way it is for another few weeks, it maybe a good idea to leave it for a bit, tho others maybe able to give you more advice on this.

Al.

106 GTi
If it is tar I would remove it with AG Tar and Adhesive remover rather than relying on Clay to shear it off.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Alan said:
Yeah it could be tar and clay will remove SOME tar spots tho not all.

Your paint is still fairly new so keep this in mind mate, if you can put up with it the way it is for another few weeks, it maybe a good idea to leave it for a bit, tho others maybe able to give you more advice on this.

Al.

I think I'll leave it then :) thanks

Golf R/Leon FR
i clayed mine for the first time and it took ages all in all about 2hrs but had never been done before.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Garf172 said:
i clayed mine for the first time and it took ages all in all about 2hrs but had never been done before.

take it u wash your car and wet clay it with cool water?

then polish and wax?

Golf R/Leon FR
wash the car, rinse, leave wet use detailing spray with the clay. then polish and waxed. but doing all that took longer

Clio 182
Rich said:
All depends on how contaminated the car is - about an hour normally including the glass and wheels.

An hour :S took bloody ages on mine, I spent an hour on the wheels alone and the bodywork had been clayed a few weeks before that and that must have been a couple of hours of 2 people working on it (hadnt been done before though)

106 GTi
Your wheels sounded quite bad IIRC, my 182 as been pampered by me so doesnt really count! Cars in the past have taken me 2-3 hours to clay.

Mine takes me forever as well? I'm sure I've easily spent a couple of hours just on the roof... :S

Do I need to press harder? I usually go over it quite lightly quite a few times.

Clio 182
Rich said:
Your wheels sounded quite bad IIRC, my 182 as been pampered by me so doesnt really count! Cars in the past have taken me 2-3 hours to clay.

Yep they were - had been done about 4 times with Autoglym wheel stuff and a brush and then another week I clayed them and gave up after an hour as my arms were aching :dapprove: They are still fairly bad!

Megane Mk4
I clayed mine a couple of weeks back, took me just over an hour to do,

( Took me longer to wax it afterwards though ;) )

106 GTi
Karen said:
Yep they were - had been done about 4 times with Autoglym wheel stuff and a brush and then another week I clayed them and gave up after an hour as my arms were aching :dapprove: They are still fairly bad!

Sounds like work and half, they getting any better?

White16valver said:
Mine takes me forever as well? I'm sure I've easily spent a couple of hours just on the roof... :S

Do I need to press harder? I usually go over it quite lightly quite a few times.

Should'nt need to use lots of pressure, you will ended up scratching it other wise.

Clio 182
Rich said:
Sounds like work and half, they getting any better?

They improved a lot but are still far from ideal - maybe another clay session will shift the rest? my clay was in shreds at the end last time.

Next car will be done regularly from new lol.

106 GTi
I would maybe tempted to use some of the Megs wheel brightner they rave about over on Detailing World?

Makes life alot easier ;)