ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how many washes does your car get in winter?

Fiesta ST3
with all the grit/snow and road grime during winter time cars get filthy right after you wash it!

do you guys leave it over winter or wash regularly?

Inferno Orange 182
When you can really. Any build ups of grime, mud and salt shouldn't sit on the paint or in the arches for an extended period ideally.

This is why it's best to do a protection detail on your car before winter, as then it's protected from the salt, grime and other nasties for the duration. Getting it protected and leaving it a bit dirty is far better than no protection and fairly regular washes.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
^ Lol, tis too cold for me to go outside with a bucket of frozen water and get frost bite.

Jet down and snow (haw haw) foam when the pipes aren't frozen.

Or taken to a local car wash and instructed to power hose down only.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Have you considered taking it off the road for the winter months and buying a cheap run around?

SRS though, it isn't going to hurt the car, they are designed to cope with a bit of road salt, it just depends how anal you are about detailing.

Listerine & Poledo
Have you considered taking it off the road for the winter months and buying a cheap run around?

If I get an old 900 turbo for the winter (handbrake LSD FTW!) then I'd save enough to buy some coilovers on the 172! for the spring!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
When you can really. Any build ups of grime, mud and salt shouldn't sit on the paint or in the arches for an extended period ideally.

This is why it's best to do a protection detail on your car before winter, as then it's protected from the salt, grime and other nasties for the duration. Getting it protected and leaving it a bit dirty is far better than no protection and fairly regular washes.

I assume you are aware than chemical, antifreeze, grit & salt cut through any sealant and natual wax!! lol. In other words rendering them useless...But the thought is there i suppose.

Last edited:
  Inferno Orange 182
I assume you are aware than chemical, antifreeze, grit & salt cut through any sealant and natual wax!! lol. In other works rendering them useless...But the thought is there i suppose.

Only if left on the surface of the paint for a prolonged period as stated and only if the protection isn't properly applied. Products like Collinite 476s on the Wax side and FK1000p on the Sealant side have immense durability and easily provide 2/3 months of protection in harsh conditions - obviously a few coats are needed. In the Summer, just 2 layers of Collinite can last 6 months without noticeable degradation to the protection offered.

When I get mine, its getting detailed and then I probably wont touch it until the freezing conditions jog on, as my drive is slanted. If I wash the car, the drive turns to ice meaning that me or my dad cant get the car off!

Listerine & Poledo
Is that a serious point or are you taking the Michael out of LBrunch?

It's a joke that never gets old.

ok, it does, and has, but hey. (although I wouldn't mind an old 900 turbo at all, SSAB is one of the few manufactureres I exempt

what are we to score points over each other on today sir? :)

Listerine & Poledo
When I get mine, its getting detailed and then I probably wont touch it until the freezing conditions jog on, as my drive is slanted. If I wash the car, the drive turns to ice meaning that me or my dad cant get the car off!

detailing? Isn't that just "cleaning" but taking all day about it?

:)

Inferno Orange 182
Nor would it degrade if left with road salt on it for a few weeks.

Depends how peppered your car is, how salty the roads are, how many gritter trucks you've been following etc. I thought we were talking about "winter" here which in this country is more than 2 weeks. I'd rather protect the clearcoat rather than letting the clearcoat bear the brunt of any potential damage. Not going to force you to do it!

Collinites...lol...Says it all!

?

330i. E30 Touring.
When I have something worth washing, weekly. No matter the weather.

For the last year, i've been rolling in sheds which will never see a wash at my hands.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The occasional blast with pressure washer when its not frozen.

ITB'd MK1
£2 at the jetwash every few weeks to blast out under the arches and and get the salt off. Couldn't care any less about polishing my car if i tried

F56 MINI Cooper S
Mine gets filthy as soon as I wash it, esp the arse end. Try every week if not every other week if the weathers cack

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I haven't washed the 200 since i bought it. (4th october iirc...)

Its filthy.

A red missile
When I first got it - every couple of weeks.

Now - 2 or 3 times a year.

And by a year I mean 12 months not 2 or 3 times over winter.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Got the hose out last weekend - one bowl of shampoo/wax & water later, went to wash it off and - hose frozen... :(

260% JCW
with all the grit/snow and road grime during winter time cars get filthy right after you wash it!

do you guys leave it over winter or wash regularly?

I pay £5 for some immigrants to wash my car whilst i sit inside with the heaters on and watch.

Hot pressure washer FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I pay £5 for some immigrants to wash my car whilst i sit inside with the heaters on and watch.

One of these days they will wheel your car into a container while your windows are covered in white foam ;)

200 with booost
depends how dirty it is but this time of year i'll wash it quite regular to remove that narlly salt that corrodes everything, everything except the plastic bodywork that is.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
My washing starts at 8 degrees and above. So not for a while yet!