ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how much do u pay for wax?

clio 172 cup
just a little post to see what people spend on wax and what they use. i'm currently putting my own range of detailing products together and would be interested to see what people on here use as the clios always look great :)

ben

172 money pit
It depends what it does / what it's for. 15 quid for 845 will be my choice for the winter or the door shuts etc. all year round. For 8 or 9 months of the year 50 to 100 depending on how much cash I've got at the time.

FWIW I think most waxes come in pots that are too big. I want to try this a couple of times, try that etc. without a massive investment. Tester sizes FTW.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
started with £15 for 476, then £25 for AG HD wax, £30 for supernatural hybrid, £20 each for Victoria concours and collectors sample pots., then all blown away by £90 for AF spirit

F56 MINI Cooper S
Bought some collinite 476, wasnt that impressed as it was hard to get it off, so stick with Megs gold class wax at £15 a bottle

172 Cup
Think my Zymol Titanium was around £70, thats my most expensive however our kid has some Glasur :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
100 million dollars ;).

erm probably around £ 70 for a few mix matches. collinite 915 for the lower half of the car where it takes a beat in the most, and on a good day i would use dodo juice waxes.

all comes down to personal preference i.e shine or durability

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Bought some collinite 476, wasnt that impressed as it was hard to get it off, so stick with Megs gold class wax at £15 a bottle

it sounds like you may be putting too much 476 on or leaving it for too long. I had that trouble when I first started using it. stick with it as it's durability is great. I use it on my MTB and snowboard.

BG 182
Had glasur and loved it. Half a pot for £45. But ised along with hd cleanse and field glaze. Now got some swissvax best of show coming. 40% full for £40, although I have a few other swissvax bits coming also to complement it. Also have supernatural hybrid £25 and a few others

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Paid £80 for Saphir. It's ok. I don't see any difference to cheaper wax. But it smells good.

Modern Nano sealants piss all over Wax for durability these days...They do lack a little depth of deep metalics though.

Paid £80 for Saphir. It's ok. I don't see any difference to cheaper wax. But it smells good.

Modern Nano sealants piss all over Wax for durability these days...They do lack a little depth of deep metalics though.

Agreed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
£120 for Celeste, £100 for Glasur

Lots of others i've bought and sold though, Celeste wasn't great a little too hard they are trialing version2 at the moment.

Glasur is immense to use. Swisswax Shield it utterly superb also, not sure it's worth the price rise but i'm rolling with uber C1 so I don't have to worry about waxing for a good while.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But it's a hobby. Surely spending 1k on a camera is into the realms of diminishing returns? Same as wax.

I don't see the problem. I can afford cars that cost twice as much as my car. I didn't want to so I treat my car.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
But Galster, is the £120 wax actually any better than the £3 wax, or are you all buying into the fact that it is better because DW says it is better? I've got some pretty impressive results without anything more than a box of Autoglym stuff ...

Not trolling btw, genuinely interested, i dont mind spending money on stuff when i can actually see the difference in end result :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not really.

1k will is not 'significantly' improve the finish of your car's paint over that of a £40 wax. That's a fact.

1k camera will produce 'significantly' better shots. Plus is lasts a bit longer.

At the end of the day, it's all relative, if you have 1.5k for an NE+Ultra detail you have enough money for a 1k pot of wax or litre of bull semen....blah.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Again diminishing returns. The more you spend the less of a gap in performance there will be of course. A wax can only do so much.

If you have a penchant for detailing use a £15 wax and then use a £100 wax and tell me you don't feel the difference. It's not from a performance pov. Collinites will last longer than probably any other wax on the market but it doesn't look great and it feels crap to use.

When using a "fancy" wax it feels special. After spending 8 hours detailing a car you want to finish it with the best. The £120 wax wasn't amazing because it wasn't as nice to use (too hard) Glasur at £100 was worth 3x as much imo it felt amazing to use and it's performance was fanatstic.

All relative though as Ali points out. I have the money so who's to say I can't spend it on nice waxes even though I know the cheaper ones do 95% of what the expensive ones do.

Pen, watches, clothes they are all in the same boat. Spending more doesn't mean they'll be 100 times better.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
exactly, its your own choice as to what you intend to buy and why, cost doesn't really matter, its all down to personal preference.

i can see some peoples argument on waxes that cost more than the car is worth or looks, but at the end of the day, you cant say you pay for what you get because every wax is different.

to me, its get a wax thats very well rated, if i don't like it then my fault,

each to their own but i can defiantly see gally's point

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Panel pots are great value. Purple haze is great as is dodo beading.

172 cup
Think only a true detailing enthusiasts would be happy to pay more then £15 TBH, well thats my opinion. I personally would never spend more then that, it just wears off at the end of the day

I use 476 because im lazy and i like colli's durability, id rather spend more on polishing and paint preparation products.

i.e. good clay, SRP for when im lazy, dodo lime prime, black hole... the list goes on

BG 182
as a member of DW you do of course listen to the professionals with regards to product choice and i personnaly have really reviewed any product i have bought, like most things i purchase. The costs soon add up when you purchase the wax of one particular brand and then want the matching products. I always buy out of the DW sales section, like 1/3 of a pot of swissvax im getting this week, for less than 1/3 of the rrp (i have about £200 (RRP) of products coming for £80!). This way i can just sell it on if i dont get on with it and probably wont loose any money.
If you are a detailing entusiast it is all about the feel of using a high end wax. You could put some high end waxes (£100+) against a £20 wax and even the pros could probably not tell them apart, but like i say its the feeling of using the products, but its always the prep work which really contributes to the end finish.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When you say "tell them apart" what do you mean? By looks? Surely the performance, ease of use, durability ect.. are just as important.

A lot of waxes do look the same but they don't feel, smell or work the same. People often forget this.

DB.

BMW 440i
One argument is, a random off the street would notice the difference with a photo taken with a £150 digi camera, as opposed to a £450 DSLR.

Your average joe, wouldn't notice the difference from a well cleaned car with a £30 wax on as opposed to a £100.

So to spend 3 times the amount, seems silly in my eyes. I do understand why if it is your hobby, you want the best though. I just like having a very clean car with a nice finish, but im not overly fussed in paying extra for it to be that little bit better.

It's all subjective.

DB.

BMW 440i
When you say "tell them apart" what do you mean? By looks? Surely the performance, ease of use, durability ect.. are just as important.

A lot of waxes do look the same but they don't feel, smell or work the same. People often forget this.

The feel and smell aren't that important.

Durability is more so though, but then again, depends what difference we are talking.

Eg. 6 weeks to 6 months is a noticeable difference, if it's just a couple of extra weeks then not so worthy when justifying the cost

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Durability isn't that important. If it was surely everyone would own a sealant or Hybrid like Collinite?

BOS has crap durability. Still nothing i've seen can touch it on a well prepped Black car. The oils wear off after 2 weeks roughly but as a detailer it's the final product that the customer sees. If the customer wants durability for the winter you choose something else.

I put C1 on my car as it's used in the winter everyday and it's an amzing Cystal Coating. More scratch resitant than anything on the market and repels dirt. Come the summer i'll probably still wax it or wipe it down with Werkstat.