ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often do you blast it

133/225/CLS AMG

Just wondered how often people give it some in their Clios. As in taking their car to 6500rpm+ :devilish:

Also I know some people think that a lot of fast cars get ragged but what do you think classes as ragging a car or just driving it to its full potential??

don't

hardly ever to limiter, once a month at most really

usually change at 5,600-5900 in the rsi if im trying 2 give it some, after that not worth it

Every day.... :)

Drive a 80mile round trip to work each day and frequently hit that dam rev limiter!! need another 1000 revs!! lol

I see it as driving the car to its full potential rather than ragging it. The engine revs so easily due to the big engine\light car combination that i dont feel guilty for doing it. Always let it warm up first though.

Have started to slow down a bit now due to weather conditions etc...

Weeman sucks ****

Nearly everyday in mine, thats what its built for. As long as no gears are graunched and you dont leave the needle hitting the redline itll be fine. Always nice to see the gear change light flicker in 3rd;)

133/225/CLS AMG

Sounds like there are plenty of Clios that get driven with some force. Ive never hit the redline or had the rev limiter kick in but have given it some!

At least I know not to feel guilty when I floor it off the lights! LOL

astra break

I floor it every day (not all the time) Sometimes hit the rev limiter. Its built for give it a go, otherwise I should have bought a 1.2 ...

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by AlexJMills on 02 December 2004
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Sounds like there are plenty of Clios that get driven with some force. Ive never hit the redline or had the rev limiter kick in but have given it some! <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">At least I know not to feel guilty when I floor it off the lights! LOL

Wish I could floor it off the lights, Id just sit there spinning, watching my tyres wear down lol.

133/225/CLS AMG

I definately let the engine warm up!!

I find I keep spinning the wheels up, especially in this colder weather. The 205/40/17 tyres help with traction a lot though. :)

Ziel Nurburgring

Yup, very often. But sensibly though, never on busy roads, housing estates, near schools or shops etc. Always up to just before the change light comes on, and only when warm.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

All the time its what it was built for. Only when warmed up tho and on the right type of road (i.e. not in built up areas)

LY 200

Quite often when cars up to its 2 bar oil heat!!!

When im in town i stick to 30s and 40s, when i hit the duals its a totally different story!!!:devilish:

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 02 December 2004

If i wanst going to rag my car i would have bought a 1.2 clio......

Also, given you recent history, if you wanted to drive it;)

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 02 December 2004
Yup, very often. But sensibly though, never on busy roads, housing estates, near schools or shops etc. Always up to just before the change light comes on, and only when warm.

Wise words mate, very true and same as what I stick to. Just give the M3s a run for their money on the twisty B roads;)

Although I followed a Passat tdi last night, f**k me theyre quick.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

its a regular occurence for me, like many have said before, what is the point in buying the car for performance, when you dont fully use it? VA VA VOOM!!

133/225/CLS AMG

Fair points. My mum came home and goes to me I followed an older bloke in a Clio just like yours and he was driving so slowly!!

What a bloody waste!! :confused:

Weeman sucks ****

Yeah but if your mum spotted it, it was probably a basic model, not a sport. my mum said once that she saw one "just like mine" but with silver bits stuck on the side. LOL, bless her. "Its a vee mum"..."whats that?".

Ziel Nurburgring

The best you can do it embarass the Gareth Cheeseman, travelling salesmen in their company BMWs (Although not always, keep an eye open for audi and VWs trying to muscle in). They sit there thinking they are the dogs, right up until you fill their car full of dust as you disappear into the distance.

cock mobile.

When I get the chance I certianly open her up! ;)

I do a 50 mile round trip to work, and most of it I sit at about 90mph, but I wouldnt say that was thrashing the car, infact thats far off the top speed!! :D

Weeman sucks ****

I do a 40 mile round trip, a bit of dual carrageway and the rest are twisties, hence new tyres needed after 6k:confused:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not very often, used to when I first got it.. but im getting old now (26) so I tend to granny shift now.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

After Ive let it warm up a bit .... I rag is all the time subject to road conditions. Only time it granny shift like KDF is when it wet and slippery ;)

Great thing with the 172 is that even with this driving style (and not many motorway miles) I still average 32mpg+!

At least once a day, as soon as i get out the traffic to and from work i open it up, it likes it

It told me!! ha ha

Although, the cup is very nice for just cruising along too, came from the lakes on sunday to manchester at 60mph most of the way. Its good to see people check the car out as they go past, makes you feel you made the right choice!!!

Jonny

cock mobile.

Quote: Great thing with the 172 is that even with this driving style (and not many motorway miles) I still average 32mpg+!

Mines on about 32mpg atm, but does anyone know if these read outs are that accurate? The petrol seems to drain out a lot faster than this!!

megane coupe F7R

My car hits the limiter loads of times everyday. It was build for thrashin so thats what it gets.Not so much in the wet though, cuz clios jus dont handle in the wet. One of my not so close friends has just bought a 182 and he dont even go anyware! He does about 4k a year and he never gives it a thrashin. What was the point in that i ask my self!!

Ziel Nurburgring

About right, even with a good going at i cant get it below 30mpg. Im sure it will drop below 29mpg on a track, but then you shouldnt be driving like that on a road.

Seems to be the best cat ive owned, returning over 40mpg below 85 on a motorway and 30 with a hammering and returning over 300 miles most tanks. You cant get than that.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 02 December 2004

Not very often, used to when I first got it.. but im getting old now (26) so I tend to granny shift now.
I wouldnt be so bothered mate..........i didnt think you were 26 ;)

133/225/CLS AMG

My MPG on the trip computer mostly shows between 29-32mpg. I reckon the low side of that is mostly due to traffic.

Luckily only do about 150 miles a week so dont use too much fuel.

I think its only right to give it some in the right places. So many cars are wasted their owners who just cant drive them properly!!

I only really give it some when some little mailto:b@stard">b@stard is up my arse, with a battered piece of mailto:cr@p">cr@p for a car! Then i just have to floor it! apart from that i just drive normally:D

It feels good to give it some once in a while, thats for sure.

And id do it more often if it werent for the fact that i can almost see the fuel gauge needle moving whenever i do it on my 182.

Kotafey

R26

Lol @ "between 29-32mpg. I reckon the low side of that is mostly due to traffic"

I have had mine down to 11 mpg - as I said in another thread - lambo territory I have a long trip back from work, one night I screwed the nut for about 20 miles (not over 90) but was accelerating hard (often), then I hit a 10 mile stretch of traffic travelling at 1mph average (start & stop) I could not believe the mpg reading - iI could actually watch the fuel gauge getting lower. However, I havent had it below 18 - 19 mpg since.

I do feel I could of thrashed it harder than that - really didnt feel like I was using all its power. But dont want to kill myself or anyone else. Need a private runway I think and a serious discount ticket for my local garage.

Not a Clio

my astra does 0.5mpg... at idle great when youre sitting in a jam on the M6 due to f**kING rubber neckers AGAIN.

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by jonny on 02 December 2004

Although, the cup is very nice for just cruising along too, came from the lakes on sunday to manchester at 60mph most of the way. Its good to see people check the car out as they go past, makes you feel you made the right choice!!!

Jonny
This is what I do. I always just cruise at 65-70 on the motorway in the valver. Nice feeling. And like you say, the looks you get are nice. :cool:

Im very careful with my 16v, when you put your foot down..... vrrrrooooom! that noise is absolute class.

Tom