ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to disarm the alarm???

silly question maybe but when the alarm goes off how do i disarm it? everyone sais press the key button but that does nothing i just have to drive off with the alarm going and then after period it stops.

Its a 2001 clio sport 172 Y reg.

Any know if i may have a faulty alarm or am i just not knowing how to disarm it?

Thanks in advance

rob

Cheers for the reply have read the thread but not sure whats what.
Is the remote key button how your meant to stop the alarm going off when it does?

cheers

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Cheers for the reply have read the thread but not sure whats what.
Is the remote key button how your meant to stop the alarm going off when it does?

cheers
No Rob,

The problem is the alarm is broken.
The Cobra add on unit is switched on/off by the Clio locking system control module. Other than that, Its got nothing to do with the original remote control.

The only way to deal with it is to remove the Alarm as I described.
Later cars had alarms with some programmable features accessed from the OBC stalk, but you wont be able to do anything with yours, other than disconnect it.

Hi thanks for the replies much appreciated.
Just so i understand fully, basically if my alarm goes off there isnt a way to turn it off i just have to wait until it stops after a period of time. Or i can replace part of the alarm as described in your post? To fix it.

cheers mate

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Rob,
Its really difficult to say by remote diagnosis, what has actually gone wrong, but I have fixed (by removal) 3 of these early alarms since my Sons went wrong and they all showed signs of water ingress and poor fitting.

If you are competent with a screwdriver its quite east to get to the alarm module and remove the fuse.

Where are you?

i am in west sussex, worthing(near brighton) to be precise.
So when the alarm goes off you are meant to just hold down the remote key button and it should stop? Just wanna make sure i am trying the right thing.

cheers again

rob

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
No Rob,

The alarm is faulty. holding down the button will do nothing to change that.

o right they are all faulty? ok. looks like i may have to get that fixed then, quite imbarresing having to drive away with the alarm going. If the alarm wasnt faulty would the method to stop the alarm be pressing the remote key button? like on other cars?

cheers

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If it were working correctly,
Pressing the remote button would unlock the car and unset the alarm at the same time.
Another press would set the alarm and lock the doors.
Its as simple as that.

hi not sure i have got accross what i mean

that all works fine, the issue is if the alarm goes off say i try to open the door and i havent unlocked it and the alarm starts sounding how do i then shut it up? or am i meant to just wait for it to stop?

cheers mate

ex Clio 172 owner :(
In the mean time is it not possible to lock/unlock the car with the key? Dunno if this will stop the alarm activating.

You will probably have to climb across from the passenger side as most 172's don't have a lock on the drivers side.

Hi guys cheers for the replies but sorry i dont think i have explained my problem right.

I have the remote key and that works fine for unlocking and locking the doors there is no issue there. That works great all the time the alarm gets set as it should etc etc....

My problem is that if the alarm starts sounding for any reason how do i shut it up? On other cars you just stop it by pressing the key button but that doesnt do anything for me. So i thought i must have a problem with the remote key?? who knows?

I hope that explains things a bit better

cheers for all the feedback so far

rob

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Rob,
You are right in assuming if the alarm is triggered; operating the remote will both silence it and reset it.

The fact you cant indicates it is faulty.

To explain why this is so, I found the siren units fill up with water and because they have a battery back up system and a tamper detector in them, they "false alarm" thinking the supply has been disconnected.

This rectifies itself after a short while or when the on board battery module goes flat, it then seems to work for a short time then fail again.
Believe me, this is exactly what happened to my Sons 172.
I have the defective parts in front of me, they are really badly corroded.

Clio 172 sport
i had this exact same prob with mine an brian remved it for me an fitted a new cliford unit. not had a problem since