ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to fit HID lights

Clio Extreme
First time poster, long time reader!!

Basically i have brought a HID kit and i am struggling to secure the HID lights in the light fitting. I have a Clio (2001) with the reflector headlights. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Right i have done 5 of these on a MK2 Clio....not the easiest of ones to work in.

Your best of removing the lamps from the car, there is no way you will fit the kit with them on the car!

NOTE: You need to modify the lamps and clips to secure the HID bulbs, even tho they are meant to be a direct replacement, Renaults CRAP design means they dont secure like normal bulbs. This will render the lamps useless afterwards, as in you cant go back to normal bulbs in that lamp unit.

1) After removing from car you need to dremel the top half of the lamp unit so the new bulb fits in place snug.

2) Modify the brakcet (clip) with the dremel to allow it to fit over the rear of the bulb. iirc i had to take off 3-4mm of metal and shave a flat edge to it.

3) Now everything should clip back into place.

** Make sure the HID bulb has the return wire face down!!**

Otherwise you will be blinding everyone infront of you.

Connect everything up, but be carefull nothings broken as there are very high voltages going thru the kit.

That should be it really, make sure you locate everything where water will not get to.

Also remember there is no auto-leveling, so going up and down hills will cause trouble to other car users!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
also note u will probabaly fail an mot as well. also u need headlight washers too.

For after market you dont need Washer & Auto-leveling
Altho this is frowned upon and cops will probably bother you about the leveling.

As far as passing MOT goes, mine passed and so did the others i have installed.

Its all down to the installation, if there is a beam pattern and correct leveling, then no problem.

i have seen many fail due to poor installation! If the bulb does not centre correctly everything will be out of place**

Clio Extreme
Thanks alot for all your help, your a star! Wasn't expecting such a quick response.

The kit i purchased cost £220 from HIDS4u.com, and its a quality piece of kit (should be for the price). They recommended the shorter bulbs for the clio and reflective lenses because they don't give off as much glare.

Thanks again, Rich

Clio Extreme
Has - one more thing, my car does not have clips to hold the light in place. I am guessing the others are the same, but you have to twist it to for it to fit in place. Any ideas?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Yup sorry wasnt quite as clear with that.

The metal bit which you have to put onto the lamp and twist.

Thats the part you need to modify mostly.

Put it on the bulb (carefully) and try twisting it on, u will see where it needs cutting from.

If you get stuck, PM me with pics so i can see what stage you are at. Or if you are local i can give you a hand fitting them (West Mids area)

Clio Extreme
Cheers buddy, your a big help! So i don't actually have to modify the light casket itself (that's a relief). Just simply cut the metal clip, fit that around the base of the bulb and twist it into plae?