ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to improve panning?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Quite happy with some pics I've been through so far from the F1 on the weekend, but want a bit of advice on how to improve my panning.

Is it possible to get all cars in focus in a shot like this?

3654875191_1ef49e2782.jpg

Would I be right in thinking the shot below would be near impossible as the cars are travelling in different directions?

3655671776_2b0bb51119.jpg

Is a faster shutter the only way? Didn't want to use anything faster than 1/250 or 1/320 as the sense of speed was lost, although I suppose the blurred car adds to that?

I think you're asking for the impossible. Unless you use a very fast shutter speed (and therefore lose all sense of movement) you won't get all the cars sharp, especially if they are moving in different directions.

That's not a bad thing though, in my opinion. It's better to have a clear defined subject as with your second shot, than far too many things to look at in the scene.

I always try to blur as much as possible away from the main subject, this was 1/125...

568434565_JwByF-L.jpg

With a faster shutter speed Hamilton would probably have been fairly sharp as well, but imo that wouldn't add anything to the picture.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I see what you mean. I did experiment to as low as 1/50 but haven't had time to see the results; I'm guessing they won't be good though.

So do you think the top pic looks ok with Hamilton in good focus and both Renaults not? I tried faster shutters but those pics bored me as they looked quite lifeless I thought.

That's a cracking photo mate. Have you got them all uploaded? Because your other thread had some superb shots as well. I was using your guide for mine, so thanks a hell of a lot!

I see what you mean. I did experiment to as low as 1/50 but haven't had time to see the results; I'm guessing they won't be good though.

So do you think the top pic looks ok with Hamilton in good focus and both Renaults not? I tried faster shutters but those pics bored me as they looked quite lifeless I thought.

That's a cracking photo mate. Have you got them all uploaded? Because your other thread had some superb shots as well. I was using your guide for mine, so thanks a hell of a lot!

It works in a strange way I guess, in terms of it being Hamilton in focus between two Renaults. However, 'conventionally' it would normally be the front car in focus with the rear two blurred.

1/50 is hard work with F1 cars, I was quite surprised at how much quicker they really are (stupid, I know!), you should have more success with pretty much any other motorsport.

I've not got any more from the Friday, only really grabbed a few shots as I wasn't there to shoot, just wanted to watch.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Oh that's a shame mate. I really like your photos in general.

Hamilton is probably in focus because I was following him all the way up to and through the corner.

And yes the are damn quick! lol That's why I like Luffied as they flow smoothly around it.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Tbh, not having seen any of your work before I'd say these are very good in terms of technique! They look really sharp. However, I don't like the first one because I didn't even notice Hamilton was in focus to begin with, only that the front car is out of focus.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Thanks. My first efforts with an DSLR. I kind of like only having Hamilton in focus but would prefer if they all were. You do have to kind of look for it, but on the larger images its a lot easier and quicker to spot.

Will look out for the panning section, cheers.