ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTTP latecncy/response time testing tool

182FF with cup packs
I'm having an issue tracking down an issue for a client.

They claim that HTTP browsing performace is rubbish through their firewall. Every test I have done seems to show no issues with their firewall, yet I still see anything from a 1sec to a 10 second delay when someone hits enter in their browser.

I can't see any massive gaps in responses from packet captures, so I'm pretty stumped.

So what I need is some sort of app where I can stick in a URL and it will breakdown the amount of time that it takes for each step of the connection process, so it will tell me how long the DNS lookup took, how long the initial 3 way handshake takes, how long for the first HTTP response and then how long it takes for the actual webpage to load.

I'm sure that such a thing exists out there somewhere, but my Google-Fu is failing me :dapprove:.

I would also like it if this took was also proxy capable so I can test through their proxy as well (as I think that the likely cause is here)

Preferably running under windows (as the client is a windows only place, the only *nix device is the firewalls themselves (well, IPSO actually, but close enough) and I don't particularly want to run it on the firewalls.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If you type the ip address of the web server in does it still take ages ? if so then its not the DNS servers.

Try wireshark and filter by HTTP requests for the rest. It probably is your proxy though, try bypassing it and see if its still slow as well.

Fiesta ST
Was gonna say - sounds like a DNS lookup issue. You could wireshark it but if you need performance figures then maybe try nmap and do tcp pings?

185lb/ft dCi
try putting open dns in the settings and see if there are any changes, open dns have always been quicker than isp's provide for me!

i would probably say something to do with the proxy

182FF with cup packs
Problem is that they claim that it is just as slow when they bypass the proxy, so I want a programme that I can give to them so they can actually record some empirical data instead of "feelings" and "perceptions".

i already setup an IPerf server so they can test throughput (and if you ask me, being able to get 9Mbit of throughput on a 10Mbit line across the internet during the middle of the day is pretty good if you ask me, but until I can actually prove that there is no issue then they're going to keep on at me.

182FF with cup packs
I'll give you an example of how bad this client is.

They were first complaining that their SecureClient VPN connections were slow.

They way they tried to prove this to me, was by using speedtest.net. the problem is, not only do they route all http traffic while connected via secureclient over the VPN connection and then out through the firewall, they also force them to use their external proxy (which as I already said, appears to have issues).

So the "evidence" of slow VPN connections they provided was a speedtest.net from the client PC while not connected to VPN (so client pc -> local network -> internet -> speedtest and back again) and then a comparrison when conencted to the VPN (client pc -> encryption -> local network -> internet -> firewall decryption -> -> internet -> proxy server -> speedtest and back again).

I went to site to do some tests, and locally to the outside of the firewall I could get 50Mbit of throughput while connected with SecureClient.

From my office I could get 4Mbit across it, yet they still seem to be under the impression that their VPN connections are "slow".

b*****ds.:dead:

Fiesta ST
Split tunnel them, also with their website's loading issue - Can you repeat the slowness on their pc? maybe it's just a browser issue? try chrome or something for comparison?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye, there could by lots of things causing it.. make a list of possibilites from the client to the disembarcation point of your network. Then go through them..

Start with the easiest first ;)