ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hydraulic Press

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Any recommendations. Not sure weather to go with a worktop press or a full height one. What's everyone using?

Need it to replace a swivel hub on my meg but would like to be able to do wheel bearings in future

Love a few pics of setups if possible

Thanks!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to do Renault wheel bearings, you'll need at least 20T from experience.

They can be stubborn and go with a right bang when they eventually press free.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Yeah bit out of my budget 😂

If you want to do Renault wheel bearings, you'll need at least 20T from experience.

They can be stubborn and go with a right bang when they eventually press free.

Yeah I had heard this. I guess it isn't essential for wheel bearings but would be nice to know I could do it if needed

R5gtt, 182, volvo...

I have this one, and it’ll put Renault Clio 182 cup ones in fine.

Getting them out you’ll need to get creative… I had to run welds on the bearing races before chucking it in the press and the bearings exploded out.

I’ve seen someone use this one before and eventually modded it, welded all the joints up, added some bracing and chucked in a bigger bottle Jack.

I’d go bigger than a 20t if you can, but it’ll do some work, if you have access to a welder and heat to get you past the stubborn ones.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Had a Clark 10ton bench mounted one at my dads for years now and its paid for it's self about a hundred times over. Did Clio wheel bearings no problem at all, they were tight but you get them to about 8tons and give them a little tap round the outside with a hammer and they go with a satisfying bang.

If you have the space I would buy a floor mounted one, otherwise the bench mounted ones are great because you can slide them under a workbench when not in use (most of the time).

Pretty sure this is the one we have just without the death guard

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
To add, its in a tiny shed, so usually it gets dragged out and we sit round it like cavemen. Keep old bearing outers as they make great spacers to press future stuff out with.

The cheap cup sets you can buy are very handy and a support plate like this looks dead useful

I don't have one of those but keep meaning to but one as some hubs are twatish.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I like that support plate. Is there a chinesium version for £50? 😂
Not sure, would be nice if there was!

I have one of these which is ok just a but fiddly

shopping

You wind the rods in and out so they touch on various bits of whatever it is you're trying to f**k up.