ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need a new graphics card..

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Currently rocking a 320mb 8800 GTS in my system that's a few years old now.

Also have a Q6600 @ stock, and 2 gig of Corsair something or other, thinking it's PC6400

Can I just chuck a newer half decent graphics card in to give my system a bit more oomph with newer games?

Not sure on a budget, but less than 200 quid.

Clio Hybrid / S3
At that resolution i'd say your CPU is quite limiting depending on the game and it certainly wont be performing to it's potential.

The ATi 4890 cards seem like a real bargin at the moment to be honest. But it'd be seriously held back with your CPU at stock speed...

Better than yours. C*nt.
At that resolution i'd say your CPU is quite limiting depending on the game and it certainly wont be performing to it's potential.

The ATi 4890 cards seem like a real bargin at the moment to be honest. But it'd be seriously held back with your CPU at stock speed...

Ballocks. A Q6600 is more than adequate for gaming, even at stock speeds. Overclocking makes very little difference in gaming, the most limiting factor in modern games is still the graphics cards - demonstrated in the Crysis benchmark thread where Roy and Adam have the same graphics card but wildly different specs, and they both get near identical benches in Crysis.

Swap it out for a GTX280 if you're playing at that resolution, and you'll be laughing for a good year or so.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Upon further browsing around, I'm gonna get me a 24" monitor as well, to replace my HD TV as I need a decent res :p

So something that'll handle 1900x1080?

Better than yours. C*nt.
GTX295. If you're flush, the Asus one. But even at those resolutions you're going to be out of puff in Crysis when you turn everything up high - and no doubt other games in the not too distant future.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have THAT much money to throw at a card

Don't really like Crysis, so I doubt that will get installed :p

Better than yours. C*nt.
GTX285? Just bear in mind that 1920x1080 requires A LOT of frame buffer, and even more processing power.

DCi
I've got a Q6600 and a nvidia 9600GT 512mb + 2gb ram and i can play most things fine (although I dont turn the latest games up to high because im scared)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
ATI 4970x2 is amazing for £240 if you wanna spend that much, otherwise a GTX275 for a little cheaper.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like from the review the GTX 275 is a better choice.. especially since it's quieter and knocks out less heat

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Doesn't half make me pmsl at the fact that even the most up-to-date graphics cards can't run Crysis on full with a 60+ fps. I am still using my 8800GTX, which I have now watercooled - mostly to bring the temps down & find that most adequate atm. Mind you, I can't afford another atm anyway & seeing as though my monitor is crap and the highest resolution it outputs is 1280 x 1024, I can get away with it.

1.6 Ford Focus
Im running an old single core Pentium 4, 2GB DDR2 PNY RAM and a GeForce 9500GT 512MB and I can run games like Battlefield at full settings.

You can get a 9500GT on Misco for £45, they are pretty good cards. Although to be honest if I had that money I would get the 8800GTX or the 9800GTX.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im running an old single core Pentium 4, 2GB DDR2 PNY RAM and a GeForce 9500GT 512MB and I can run games like Battlefield at full settings.

You can get a 9500GT on Misco for £45, they are pretty good cards. Although to be honest if I had that money I would get the 8800GTX or the 9800GTX.

9800GTX is basicly a 8800GTS (512MB), rebranding ftw.

I still have a 2nd gen 8800GTS (512MB) and it still owns anything at 1280x1024, but it is watercooled and overclocked to f**k, poor thing :)

1.6 Ford Focus
9800GTX is basicly a 8800GTS (512MB), rebranding ftw.

I still have a 2nd gen 8800GTS (512MB) and it still owns anything at 1280x1024, but it is watercooled and overclocked to f**k, poor thing :)

GTX is miles better than GTS models and I have found the 9 serise to be alot better than the 8 serise. Looking at the clock, core etc. speed at the GTS and GTX models, the GTS cards are lower end compared to GTX.

There are GTX cards that have 1GB.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
You thinking of the early GTS series here? They are bad, im talking about the G92's with 512MB ram. Mine for instance benches faster than 8800 Ultras.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My GTS is one of the first batch :p

Decided to replace it with a GTX275, just haven't got round to buying it yet.

Also gonna pick up a Dell S2409W