ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IAM

Titanium 182
Who on here has done this ?

I'm generally interested in learning how to improve my driving plus it will bring my insurance down hopefully ! :)

How much is it in total, and what is involved in it (eg. Is there a test? who will be teaching me? whos car do I drive?)

Thinking of getting it as a xmas present from my parents :)

Thanks
James.

ValverInBits
I think i might do this next year.
Sounds well worth it and only about 120 all in if your under 25

Tav

Clio 197
Go and look on http://www.iam.org for information. Also get in contact with your local group (if you decide to go ahead with the IAM course you'll have lots of contact with them) and ask them to clarify any questions you may have.

Skill for life program is £99 (£79 if you are under 25yo) http://www.iam.org.uk/eshop/membershipshop/sfl.htm

I've been a member since I was 18. I'll try and answer your questions...hope I've remembered the details correctly...

1. There is a test. About 90mins long taking in all types of roads, manoeuvres and your driving needs to be of a very high standard to pass. The examiner will be a serving advanced police driver (i.e traffic dept.) or a retired Class 1 advanced police driver. My examiner was ex-police and owner of a local driving school. You will be asked to provide a running commentary (ala police) for about 15minutes.

2. Who will be teaching you...well not the IAM. You'll need to find a driving instructor who teaches advanced driving or take it upon yourself and go it alone. I was lucky in that my dad was in the traffic police and taught me to dry at an advanced standard from day one.

The IAM will provide you with an 'observer.' You go out with the observer and drive around as if you were on a lesson, the difference being that they are only there to observe...not teach. They provide critism and advice on what needs to be improved. The observers time is free which is fantastic, these volunteers do a great job! Once they are satisfied that you are at the required standard you go on a drive with the head observer who will then refer you to an examiner.

The IAM group will probably run a series of lectures each year for new associates (our local group certainly does). I never went to any but I believe they are very worth while.

3. You do all of the observe drives and your test in your own car. I had a K-reg Toyota Corolla 1.6 GLi at the time. My observer always commented on it being more comfortable that his other associates S-Type Jaguar, haha!

I save a little on insurance, maybe £60-100 depending on the car/quote. I'm 22, 1 years NCB, 5years driving, no accidents or points etc and I pay £860 for a Clio 182 Cup with very low voluntary excesses on Elephant. It's quite a lot but without the IAM it would be EVEN more. The IAM also has it's own insurance scheme for members only called IAM Surety. I haven't phoned them as I don't think they could do much for me given my age and low NCB.

The biggest benefit is the skill increase. Your car control will improve as will your observation and planning. The standard DSA test we all go through doesn't really cover rural road driving at all...I found with the IAM I spent a lot of time driving on B-roads and back roads. These are after all the most dangerous (at least up here). Once you learn to read the road (limit points, understanding road markings and signage better) you can make much safer, smoother and even brisker progress. You don't have to drive by the letter every second of every day but at least you have the ability to 'turn it on.'

Last edited:

Tav

Clio 197
Useful pages on IAM site about the test:

http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/advancedtest/
http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/advancedtest/examinerexpectations.htm

As well as the highway code the IAM use the police drivers handbook, 'Road Craft:'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0117021687/?tag=cliospnet01-21

It's from this that you learn to drive by the system of car control which is the basis of advanced driving. You'll be used to mirror, signal and manoeuvre...this becomes information, postion, speed, gear and acceleration.

So much information to read. Your local group are there to offer support and should be really helpful.

Any more questions just give me a shout if you want.

Titanium 182
oh cheers !

Looks good :), So I have to find an instructor to teach me locally and pay for those lessons as well ?

What happens if I fail the test ? I get the first one free and how much are retests ?

thanks
James.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm thinking of doing IAM, but still undecided. Several people I know (with far more experience than me) have criticised the IAM for being a bit too rigid in it's attitude's. Having said that, it is very cheap for what you get.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm more inclined to get in the HPC, more expensive (by a lot!) but more bonuses.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
High performance club. Lots of effort, but lots of perks. Driving holidays, the chance to drive supercars.

Titanium 182
Just googled it bloody hell the masters package is a grand O_O

Sounds awesome though !
Maybe when I'm a bit older and can actually own a performance car :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You don't need a 'peformance' car. Did some training with one of the 'gatekeepers'. Told me about an older chap with a standard Octavia vRS. On an organised drive, he starts behind the 'supercars'. By the end, he's usually first back.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Plus that grand is for a 2 and a half day course, so it's a bargain for what you'd get out of it

Titanium 182
Gonna stick with IAM I think ;)
I should be so lucky to get a christmas present at £1000 xD

Need to find an instructor to teach meoi : <

Tav

Clio 197
I think the IAM and HPC are totally different. IAM is a large registered charity that aims to improve road safety through increased skill and education of the public. Even looking at the two websites I think it's possible to get a grasp of each organisations ideals and reach.

As for having rigid attitudes...not sure what this means? I always used to think of it being full of beardy old men who were nerdy about safety but they are doing a lot with young drivers at the moment.

The prices involved are worlds apart. Gatekeepers (how elitist)...huge entry costs (nice way of making a living isn't it)...and all for joining a private club? I can see the benefits of their teaching and experience but I can't see much benefit from the HPC as a club...even the higher awards they offer only apply to the club with no real wider recognition.

If you wanted to earn a recgonised higher award than the IAM then your next step would be looking at sitting the RoSPA test...and subsiquently re-sitting it every 3 years (I think)