ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ice Install Done!!!

Finally got round to finishing the install. It's been a work in progress for a couple of weeks and has had me scratching my head for some time. Thank God my son knows what he is doing and found the time to help the old man out.

Was quite happy with the Cabasse system that the car came with but it just seemed to lack a bit of depth. I am a tone deaf middle age old git but enjoy listening to the system my son has in his car and appreciate the fuller sound from a properly set up system. So after some time of researching and looking at what I could afford I bought the system that my son has installed for me. I knew a little bit about what I wanted and also wanted to be able to remove the sub and amp for when I needed boot space.

So I bought a pair of Vibe SA K 50 Co-axial speakers for the rear.

1. Cover removed

006-1.jpg

2. Factory fitted speaker removed.

007-1.jpg

3. Wires and connectors stripped and new ones fitted.

008-1.jpg

4. Yes they were heat shrunk using Mercedes connectors. Sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea.

009.jpg

5. Front grille plate removed ready to remove the factory fit speaker

010.jpg

6. Front speaker removed and wiring ready to be stripped and new connectors put in.

011.jpg

7. New speaker Fli Integrator Comp 5 wired up ready to go in. Only used woofers and left factory teeters in.

012.jpg

8. Another pic of the Components.

013.jpg

9. Original Head unit removed

014.jpg

10. Not much better pic and new extra wires installed

015.jpg

11. Finally broke through to the engine bay and got the amp wire through. Routed in nicely and used a Fusion 8 guage amp wiring kit with a nice big glass fuse.

Clio001.jpg

12. Installed the active sub and amp using a Vibe connector block for easy detachment when taking out the sub.

Clio003.jpg

13. Sub all ready to go. I know it's a Fli Active Trap 12". but it is ideal for the budget and what I want out of a system. Thought that I would keep it contained a bit by holding it down with the boot net until I can come up with a quick release locking system.

Clio004.jpg

14. Another pic of the sub

Clio002.jpg

15. The head Unit to power all of the new speakers. An Alpine CDE - 9871R with i-pod connector.

Family005.jpg

Been out testing it all and setting the sound up and am really pleased with it all. For a budget install it truly sounds amazing. Now where did I put that Pink Floyd CD?

A big thanks to my son Tim for all of his hard work in installing my system and for putting up with an old man trying to be hip hop and not hip op.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Yeh looks good, not my cup of tea as far as fli is concerned but each to their own. watch u dnt play it too loud though cause fli are well known for blowing!

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
did u get those rear speakers off ebay? i bidded on exact same ones and lost! b**ch!!

BMW M135i
Just one thing to note if those fli mids in the front were from a component kit your feeding them full range as theres no crossover in the standard system.

did u get those rear speakers off ebay? i bidded on exact same ones and lost! b**ch!!

Yes, I got them from ARC audio Repair Centre who repair Vibe and Fli speakers, amps and head units.

They have quite a few sets on their site and are really good. Nothing wrong with these speakers and they sound awesome without the sub. With the sub it really sounds good. As I said earlier I allowed myself a pretty low budget and spent about £90.00 on all of the speakers including the Active sub.

The head unit was the biggest bargain as i bought a cheaper Alpine Unit from Halfords Web site. When it arrived it was very second hand so I emailed them the pictures, took the head unit back to my local store and made general noises about poor services. Got a phone call next day full of apologies and asking if I would be happy to accept an upgrade to the next best Alpine Unit they do. The rest is history and now I need to put an i-pod on my birthday pressie list.

Have been driving round all day with the system at different levels and a broad grin on my face at the quality of the sound.

Cheers for all the positive comments.

I'll ask my son how hard it was to remove the grilles but they do just clip in I believe.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
re the grills they just pop off but be careful on the little plastic parts that hold them in place as they are easy to break.

I had that sub in my 182 and for the money you cant go wrong, its a bit heavy and takes up half the boot but other than that its class

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Hip hop not hip op! Lol. Do the grills on the rear pop of like that on mine?
Might consider a set of comps all round in that case. Alpine FTW!

CS Dungeon

Yes, I got them from ARC audio Repair Centre who repair Vibe and Fli speakers, amps and head units.

They have quite a few sets on their site and are really good. Nothing wrong with these speakers and they sound awesome without the sub. With the sub it really sounds good. As I said earlier I allowed myself a pretty low budget and spent about £90.00 on all of the speakers including the Active sub.

The head unit was the biggest bargain as i bought a cheaper Alpine Unit from Halfords Web site. When it arrived it was very second hand so I emailed them the pictures, took the head unit back to my local store and made general noises about poor services. Got a phone call next day full of apologies and asking if I would be happy to accept an upgrade to the next best Alpine Unit they do. The rest is history and now I need to put an i-pod on my birthday pressie list.

Have been driving round all day with the system at different levels and a broad grin on my face at the quality of the sound.

Cheers for all the positive comments.

I'll ask my son how hard it was to remove the grilles but they do just clip in I believe.

Stick 3 or 4 strips of this on the bottom of the sub and you should be secure enough

http://www.fabricuk.com/showspecial.php?id=68

Nice install for a old man, mid life crisis I reckon:rasp:

fiesta 1.25
Nice install.I once used fli and hated them but that was when i just ran them off HU and a crap sub.They wernt components either so thats prob why