ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ideal track day car??

polo
Basically i finsh uni in a few months, looking at getting something to strip out, play about with the engine, and do a few track days. Want something thats cheap, easy to work on and common (for sourcing parts). Any ideas would be helpfull.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd buy a rough williams and spend a few quid on new suspension.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Do some in the 172 before you buy the car. May not enjoy it as much as you want/hope.

Something like a VTS or 106 wouldnt be bad. Loads of bits from further up the Pug range which bolt straight on. Loads about an many w/o to source parts from.

ValverInBits
wrong section

It's always expensive. Especially if you wanna do things like a cage.
Just consumables are going to add up, not to mention cost of track days themselves.
Depending on budget valver/Mx5/205 is a good bet, but I could never drive an MX5 due to my completely unfounded HATRED for the stupid things.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
205's are the cheapest out of that lot, then 106gti's/vts's next. And upwards to 172 ph1's

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
i got a 205 1.6 gti and its ace. Quite old so loads of them have been tracked and raced so lots of info on the internet

polo
thanks chaps, like the idea of ph1 172 and valver (to take up whitley's offer!). not fancying taking mine on track to much, spend too much looking after it, may kill sum1 if they went into the side of me. sorry to the section police out there.

a thirsty one
sounds a bit of a weird choice but i have been looking into another track car so the 182 can go into retirement, have a look at ford puma prices.

1.7 litre 16v engine, great gear change and decent chassis, strip it and uprate brakes. there are quite a few on autotrader below £1k for the money i think thats not bad with loads of engine mods for the lump. no a car i would own for the road but for track days it maybe something diff.