ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

if you drive without tax...

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
can they catch you using cameras like by scanning your plate or something? or is it only a copper who can pull you over, check and then do you for it? i'm having a dispute with my bird and i want it cleared up, thanks lads!

BMW 330D
on dual carriageways they have VOSA vans which iirc check for mot and tax. If you aint got them they issue you with a fine i think.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah they have vans out and about with loads of cameras on them and police traffic cars have the system where they can automatically check tax, insurance and mot so really not worth it!

Black Gold with cup packs
Unless you have declared your car as off the road, If you do not renew your tax, you receive an automatic fine.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
they can and do check for tax using cameras, I passed a load of Police on the M6 last night doing it.

Unless you have declared your car as off the road, If you do not renew your tax, you receive an automatic fine.

My tax ran out on the 31st may, and my insurance also ran out so i'm waiting for my cover note. Should i declare it SORN? How long have i got to tax it before they fine me? I should recieve my cover note on monday or tuesday so can tax it then. Really worried now ffs!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
You don't need to declare SORN if you are simply waiting for a cover note, just don't use the car, or keep it on a public road, till you sort the tax out.

57 Clio Campus Sport
you will probably get a fine anyway, its all put through a supercomputer now and they know who has and hasnt paid the tax so it will just be sent to you

Audi TT 225
I forgot about a moped I don't use anymore and left it in the garage. The tax had run out in January and I got a reminder telling me to renew it. Which I also forgot about as I was intending to declare SORN. It was about 4 months later I got a 40 pound fine which acted as a kick up the arse and I finally declared it SORN. My point is it's not an immediate fine, unless of course ou're driving it on the road before renewing it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You get 14 days after your tax has expired to get a new tax disc IIRC. Most I have been without tax is a week I think.

On the current car it's £80 if you're un taxed, or £35 to tax it for a year:rolleyes:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
You get 14 days after your tax has expired to get a new tax disc IIRC. Most I have been without tax is a week I think.

On the current car it's £80 if you're un taxed, or £35 to tax it for a year:rolleyes:

Wrong !!!!!!

There is no period of grace, sorry.

CJ

Blue ph1 172
There's no period of grace it's just the DVLA are always behind processing things.

ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) vans at the side of the road will scan your no plate and check for tax, insurance etc and if you don't have any a policeman further up the road will pull you over.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
no policeman will pull you over, they will just fine you as the fine comes from the DVLA not the police

Clown Car
ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) vans at the side of the road will scan your no plate and check for tax, insurance etc and if you don't have any a policeman further up the road will pull you over.

Some petrol stations round my way have police message boards as you go onto the forecourt saying "ANPR cameras in operation", i have not seen camera vans there so i wonder whether they are using the petrol stations own cctv(if that is possible), clever way of catching people as everyone who uses a car needs to get fuel.

CS Dungeon
Police wont do anything other then report you to the dvla, its not a criminal matter.

As per the other guys post on this matter.
Even if you have bought your tax online and are just awaiting the disc, you still cannot legally drive your car on the road as the police will do you for 'failing to display' which is a crime in itself.

a burnt one
You can also be caught when a nosey neighbour, cheesed off that you have pinched 'her' space, sees youre tax ran out 2 days ago and decides to do something about it.

I was given a fixed penalty once as the tax disc had fallen out of the holder (one of them nasty magnetic things that dont stick) and although it landed on the dash, clearly visible to all, i was given a fixed penalty for failing to display it correctly.