ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition Timing

Skoda Fabia vRS

is there any way i could adjust my ignition timing so that i can take advantage of higher octane fuel ?

could my Hill Power chip be altered ?

is there anything else i should know about ?

am i talking complete rubbish ?

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 05 November 2002

is there any way i could adjust my ignition timing so that i can take advantage of higher octane fuel ?

Yep, providing you can be sure that knock is not occuring :)

could my Hill Power chip be altered ?

Yep (see above)

is there anything else i should know about ?

Like what m8.. ??.. the mating habits of the lesser bikinid tit warbler ???

(You could actually alter the position of the crank pickup sensor to advance or r****d the OVERALL ignition., but - the same provisio re knock is relavent)

am i talking complete rubbish ?

Probably lol...

FRST and 106 GTi

I went throught some road testing on the crank pickup some time now.

Only tried advancing... to the max would just hear a little of "gigle" when full throttle in 5º gear.

Now I have "half way" advanced... 3º gear just go to 6000rpm with more "all the way" attitude. 4º gear just keeps stoping at 5500rpm... 5º gear can go till 6000rpm.

weird is way 4º gear wont rev more than 5500? 5º gear goes 6000rpm like 3º, only more slowly... hum.

Skoda Fabia vRS

where is this crank pickup sensor, and how do i adjust it

would the better method be altering the chip ?

FRST and 106 GTi

the crank sensor is just on top of the flywheel.

Mine was std, and by so, it was stuck. I used a rubber hammer to brake the two plastic thins that olds the sensor in place over the drilled plate.

ok ok.. now in Portuguese :)

O sensor vem cravado de origem. Tens de dar umas marteladas na chapa q o segura de modo a partir os dois pinos internos de plastico. Assim podes deslocar o sensor pela chapa.

got it? hope so.

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive spoke to Nick Hill and he can sort it on a chip so i think ill take that route

BMW 320d Sport

Higher octane fuel has greater resistance to knock. Knock can be caused by an over-advanced spark. So to make more power from the same engine, you can advance the spark by altering the program (which HP can do), and as long as you use a higher octane fuel therell be no problem. In fact you can probably run normal fuel to be honest, 95 RON will do unless you have advanced the ignition by a huge amount and youll know about it if you need it!

I ignition is advanced about as far as you can sensibly go, across the rev range and it gives no problems at all, even on normal 95 RON petrol. When running nitrous, I have the ignition retarded by half a degree per thousand rpm, not perfect but it does the job, and that works fine under much harsher conditions than normal fast driving. SO in other words Brun, dont worry about it mate. YOu can get the HP program and still use normal petrol, see if Nick can do an even more advanced ignition for use only with high octane fuel? Youd have to talk to him about it.

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea thats what hed be doing for me, he said if i had it done i would have to always use super/optimax........or use an octane booster

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

What benifits did nick say this would bring brun? As I might be poping up there soon and get him to adjust mine. Mine doesnt run to well on 95 anyway.

Nick, you gave teh right answer thent eh wrong answer in teh 1st 2 sentances....

Knock is when 2 flame fronts collide and hit eachother...resulting in the thudding noise. Pinking is caused by too advanced an ignition as the piston rattles over TDC.....but a higher octane will reduce or get rid of it.

You wont gain much in such a simple motor, and since it wasnt a prob originally, it will do very little........by the phycological advantage MIGHT end up being bigger haha.

Nicks post looks just fine to me.

Over advanced ignition is the main factor in knock (End gas autoignition).

A higher octane fuel should allow you to advance the ignition closer to MBT, and hence more torque, so more power.

Gains... well, yeah not much in it on a standardish motor, even less on one with knock control.

Higher tuned cars, throttle bodied and tuned forced induction there is usually a fair bit to gain.

BMW 320d Sport

hehe cheers Chris!

You wont gain a lot by advancing the ignition as much as you can get away with. But the F7P lump is like Tescos - every little helps.

""A higher octane fuel should allow you to advance the ignition closer to MBT, and hence more torque, so more power.""

of course ur right, but remeber - higher octane fuel has less power ...little less calories...