ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illiad blue V6 255 #248

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Interesting.

Also retrim of a steering wheel that is 9 inches too big is madness.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Another update :mad:..

Autoglass came yesterday with the right screen.

The technician found that the last time the screen has been done both scuttle clips had been binned and the screen trims had been re-used and just filled with clear silicone sealant. So some utter cowboy reused the single use trims and destroyed the paint in doing so.

For the record, I bought new genuine Renault seals and asked Autoglass to use those rather than the pattern they supply. It cost me £27 posted.

This has caused the paint in the windscreen aperture to bubble and flake off. It's been treated with a rust preventer and it isn't visible but I still know it's there.

I'm going to get the screen removed and the aperture sorted out/roof painted when I get the front end done.

It seems like some very silly corners were cut on this car at some point in it's life, but this should be the last thing I find now, everything else has either had Scott at SG's hands on or has already been sorted once the paintwork is done so hopefully V6 life will be all good after some hefty bills this coming Spring.

Scuttle clips and a new squib (mine is a bit clicky) should be here from RPD this morning.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
No progress.

It's getting cold outside and still my daily.

IMG_20210124_115708657_HDR.jpg

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Not genuine no they look the part though, just from a seller on eBay at £30 posted. Really nice for long journeys, I could do with them being a bit bigger due to being a fat f*ck with loads of back fat 😂😂

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Dropped the thing off to SG Motorsport yesterday for rustproofing the bay, new clutch, belts and dephasers, engine mounts, TTV flywheel and a quaife plus a few other little service bits like an aerial base and to try some angled lambda spacers to keep the eml light off with the janspeed manifolds. Scott is also looking at the suspension settings because the rear end feels a little soft.

Oh, and rear tyres and an MOT. See below for the current rears, since the weather has turned nice I've been taking my essential journeys quite seriously 🙈

IMG_20210308_120717184.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-160107~2.png

16V F7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16V
It’s certainly going to be a great V6 in your ownership, nice work your having done there. The V’s get the through the inner rear tyres at a heck of a rate. Your a brave man buying it to use as a daily too rarer car and so are the parts. I used mine daily for about a year and then it was summer only after that. Fair play to you though, you only live once. Will you plan to stop using as a daily after most of your work with it is done?

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I've got another project starting up in the next few weeks so I'll probably split my driving between the two for a while.

Depends on work I suppose, once the pandemic is over and I (hopefully) start commuting again there's no way the vee will be a daily.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Well, Scott sent me an e-mail on Friday saying the gearbox oil had come out silver when he drained it which lead to a bit of worrying this weekend.

He's had the box apart with his gearbox chap this morning and it needs two bearings, had just about worn the hardening off and if they'd been left any longer it would have been a refurb box at circa £1500 + VAT.

Did ask if that would be worth it said my box was otherwise mint, bearing ordered at around 10% of that cost and no real labour cost because it's apart for fitting my quaife ATB anyway.

Saved by the diff!

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
There weren't cords at least! I'm just hoping RDR doesn't find this thread :censored:

Scott sent some pictures over of the engine out.

I'm looking at that link pipe and where it sits in relation to the tailpipes and thinking.... Valve time? Would that be too obnoxious?

PHOTO-2021-03-13-08-59-55 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2021-03-13-08-59-56 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2021-03-13-08-59-55.jpg

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Doesn't seem like it when you can only just get the seat far back enough when you're 5'10" :ROFLMAO:

I think the stock manifolds are log manifolds so it's be neater still with those on.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Realised I hadn't put a cold start in here... My neighbours are not my biggest fans. I really.like the pipewerx exhaust, bassy down low and it screams up top.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Scott has cleaned up the suspension and brakes, replaced and painted a rear caliper, new brake pads, all the welding, new engine mouths, clutch, TTV and quaife installed, repaired a crack in the exhaust and given it a general once over.

Has fitted a bulkhead for me to look at, think I'll likely have it to make the vee a bit more practical, it's easily removable anyway.

PHOTO-2021-03-22-21-22-15 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2021-03-26-13-47-41.jpg
PHOTO-2021-03-26-16-56-04 (1).jpg

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Look what I found while mooching around Malmesbury today...

Scott has also put his preferred fast road settings on the suspension and it's epic, really engaging to drive. He's recommended I go to the stock front tyre width of 205 rather than the 225s fitted to stop any scrubbing on full lock and make it less grabby at the front.

The drive home was eye opening, the TTV and Quaife make a night and day difference to the car. The rear traction and acceleration have been totally transformed.

Redtstuffs have been tossed in favour of pagid and the braking is much more progressive and road oriented.

IMG_20210402_111200626_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210402_111151391_HDR.jpg

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Went to Exmoor today for a picnic.

May have grounded the front out a little.

Gorilla tape to the rescue until it's in for paint at the end of the summer. Looks a lot worse than it is, was already scuffed and slightly cracked so I've only added a little more damage. Already spoken to Scott about it, apparently bodyshop will sort it at the same time and it's a common repair on a vee.

IMG_20210413_144340173.jpg
IMG_20210413_164025727_HDR.jpg

Clio Williams 3
Went to Exmoor today for a picnic.

May have grounded the front out a little.

Gorilla tape to the rescue until it's in for paint at the end of the summer. Looks a lot worse than it is, was already scuffed and slightly cracked so I've only added a little more damage. Already spoken to Scott about it, apparently bodyshop will sort it at the same time and it's a common repair on a vee.

View attachment 1532803View attachment 1532804
bad times!

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Update...

Still an utterly reliable car. Went to see the in-laws today, Cheltenham and back and stopped in at Costco on the way home.

Dog needed a new bed and they had decent but massive ones. It was a little warm when I got back but who says a vee isn't practical? It's essentially a (rubbish) van with the bulkhead.

IMG_20210601_181258354.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don’t know how I’ve never stumbled in here... I just thought you were some building surveyor type from the house/DIY thread.

Love the proper use this gets, best colour too.