ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Imported 172’s - Quick Question

Clio 172
Hi

Hopefully a quick one!

The 172’s that were imported: were they right hand drive cars Renault were trying to sell in Europe, or were they left hand drive and converted to right hand drive before selling in the U.K.?

Cheers!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hi

Hopefully a quick one!

The 172’s that were imported: were they right hand drive cars Renault were trying to sell in Europe, or were they left hand drive and converted to right hand drive before selling in the U.K.?

Cheers!

Import car is was exactly the same as UK car if RHD.
The only difference was the imports didn't have alarm fitted but were 4 grand cheaper than a new one was in UK at the time of purchase.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Had mine new in 2002 best new price at reno was 16k
Price i paid (brand new first owner as import purchased in UK) was £11995!
Warranty was 3 years same as UK car even reno UK didn't know it was an import when it went in for work.

Owned it for 12 years!

Last edited:

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
I bought quite a few imported 172’s in 2002 brand new from a friend who had his hands smacked by Renault as they where a dealer group who had the franchise - they cost a touch over 10k - my wife drove one for around 12 months and I sold for £10600 -

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Had mine new in 2002 best new price at reno was 16k
Price i paid (brand new first owner as import purchased in UK) was £11995!
Warranty was 3 years same as UK car even reno UK didn't know it was an import when it went in for work.

Owned it for 12 years!
I bought my first 172 import in 2001 from an Independent Renault garage. I think I paid £13k for it and had it 4 years.
My 182 import that's still my daily drive I bought from Motorpoint 18.5 years ago for £12k.
I had both of them fitted with a Toad alarm.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
no alarm, no window etching and no locking wheel nuts was the giveaway
I find stuff like that quite surprising. Surely from a production plant perspective - it would be cheaper just to include all three items on every car made - regardless of destination?

I do get the JDM stuff though, where the UK spec cars had to retrospectively get undersealed and with a rear fog light fitted etc - as these items weren't required in Japan.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I find stuff like that quite surprising. Surely from a production plant perspective - it would be cheaper just to include all three items on every car made - regardless of destination?

I do get the JDM stuff though, where the UK spec cars had to retrospectively get undersealed and with a rear fog light fitted etc - as these items weren't required in Japan.
I believe all those were done at the UK import centre, I know certainly the alarm was as that's why they are all installed differently depending on who fitted it

RustyMojo

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member

It happens today, it’s quite common for post production additions to be added port side. In the case of Uk specific Renaults. They had their thatcham approved alarms and glass etching done by CAT at the Uk import centre.

European imported vehicles were the same, but didn’t have these as they didn’t enter the UK via the Uk port of entry. Their warranty was different, but in the early days dealers didn’t know quite often until it became widespread at which point they’d start declining claims.

It’s why I laugh at the “official” numbers of how many Clios were sold by colour. I’d probably double some of the numbers officially imported. But no one will ever know.

rumlad

ClioSport Club Member
So I assume the numbers on how many left don’t show imports?
172 non cup shown below, amazing how few are taxed at the moment….
IMG_5239.png

rumlad

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok, so it’s likely that some of them are included if registered correctly, but we’ll never know what proportion

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I think mine must have been an import or bargain bin special as I've no alarm, no auto wipers/lights etc

Tarticmonkey

ClioSport Club Member
  CLIO 197 CUP,
Daft question why did they import these cars? Were they originally destined for Japan / Aus?

RustyMojo

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So at its peak European prices were considerably cheaper than the UK list. European dealers could order vehicles in both left and right hand drive. Uk was obviously part of the EU at the time so vehicles met type approval, but excluded the UK “standards” things like Thatcham insurance approved alarms etc. in essence the difference in price offset the cost of importing the vehicle into the UK. Block exception rules helped with things like servicing and warranty. Basically the cars came from places like Belgium, Ireland etc. and were significantly cheaper. Brokers bought them on fleet deals so benefitted from additional fleet discounts.

The UK new car market works as agents of European car manufacturers (national sales centres or companies) so there are additional costs in selling vehicles into the Uk, including port side, type approval etc.

Net result was a cheaper car. The gap closed massively as OEM’s and NSC’s reduced the new vehicle prices, the fluctuations and strength of the GBP dropped to the point where it wasn’t cost effective to import vehicles. Coupled with Dealers and OEM NSC’s making warranty difficult. It all died a death In about 2005/6

Clio 172
So at its peak European prices were considerably cheaper than the UK list. European dealers could order vehicles in both left and right hand drive. Uk was obviously part of the EU at the time so vehicles met type approval, but excluded the UK “standards” things like Thatcham insurance approved alarms etc. in essence the difference in price offset the cost of importing the vehicle into the UK. Block exception rules helped with things like servicing and warranty. Basically the cars came from places like Belgium, Ireland etc. and were significantly cheaper. Brokers bought them on fleet deals so benefitted from additional fleet discounts.

The UK new car market works as agents of European car manufacturers (national sales centres or companies) so there are additional costs in selling vehicles into the Uk, including port side, type approval etc.

Net result was a cheaper car. The gap closed massively as OEM’s and NSC’s reduced the new vehicle prices, the fluctuations and strength of the GBP dropped to the point where it wasn’t cost effective to import vehicles. Coupled with Dealers and OEM NSC’s making warranty difficult. It all died a death In about 2005/6

So are you saying they would sell RHD cars in Europe??? Seems odd

Tarticmonkey

ClioSport Club Member
  CLIO 197 CUP,

Excellent. Thank you for explaining 😀

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Don’t you have a Cup?
Nope. It’s got air con, I put the cup spoiler on, I’ve a receipt from the previous owner that bought the cup splitter, it had half leather seats and xenon’s when I bought it and it’s got 54mm hubs 🤷

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I first started importing Ford Puma 1.7 ‘s in 1998 when all the Ford dealerships had sold out - they came from Belgium 🇧🇪 too - great little cars in there day
One of the most underrated cars of the modern era. Just a shame anyone taller than @Touring_Rob (which is a high percentage, have you seen him?! c**t still shops in Mothercare) has to have their head rubbing the ceiling.
Amazing chassis though, and proper pin point steering. 👌🏽

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think mine must have been an import or bargain bin special as I've no alarm, no auto wipers/lights etc
You should have auto wipers and lights, regardless whether it's an import or not.
Both of mine did. Maybe you've got a fault with gel pack on the windscreen, or had your windscreen replaced at some time and it wasn't fitted?

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You should have auto wipers and lights, regardless whether it's an import or not.
Both of mine did. Maybe you've got a fault with gel pack on the windscreen, or had your windscreen replaced at some time and it wasn't fitted?
Maybe so, must have been done within the first few years of its life as this photo is from a previous owner around 2008-2009 time

IMG_8674.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
One of the most underrated cars of the modern era. Just a shame anyone taller than @Touring_Rob (which is a high percentage, have you seen him?! c**t still shops in Mothercare) has to have their head rubbing the ceiling.
Amazing chassis though, and proper pin point steering. 👌🏽
Piss poor playback quality - but I remember watching this the first time around on TV.

My wife had a 1.7 Puma and loved the thing. Despite it having the usual rusty arches and an engine that liked to be on form approximately 3.6 times per week (don't ever stall it when it was warm!) - she would have another one today.

Still her most favourite car that she's ever owned. She'd probably murder @Gally for his FRP if he lived closer. :p

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I have one (FRP) in for restoration just now, me and the owner took it a small drive, apart from the suspension alignment needing checked it still drives so well, the combo of the steering and gearbox and high revs is as brilliant as ever!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have one (FRP) in for restoration just now, me and the owner took it a small drive, apart from the suspension alignment needing checked it still drives so well, the combo of the steering and gearbox and high revs is as brilliant as ever!

Love the racing puma's. Get some pics up