ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Improving mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172, Tiguan
I used to get 40+ mpg out of the 172 every week and Dad always used to get 32 - 33 out of his 197 on a weekly basis (even with the shorter ratio box in it). You all need to learn to drive properly I think and stop using the throttle as an on/off switch.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I used to get 40+ mpg out of the 172 every week and Dad always used to get 32 - 33 out of his 197 on a weekly basis (even with the shorter ratio box in it). You all need to learn to drive properly I think and stop using the throttle as an on/off switch.

This is what I was trying to say, then I got an education on clio economy . . .

Clio 1970000000
I agree but what else would you suggest? they guy is asking how to improve MPG.

In this instance 23 mpg suggests something wrong with the car if most other 197 owners return 28-29mpg. I don't have an answer to improving mpg as that is the nature of the car and should be known when you buy it.

My 182 delivers 40mpg on a long run, cruise control on but it is a lot higher geared at 70 than a 197 by the sounds of it - 4500rpm:eek:
Another reason not to swap;)

I believe you, having read so many threads about this, but struggle to understand how. Have I read you correctly in that your 182 is at 4,500 rpm @ 70mph in top gear? How much heavier is the 197 than a 182? 150KG? Doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to account for the better fuel economy.

Barge
Like I've said as well, it depends on your journey time too - shorter journeys will do nothing for your fuel economy either.

My 1.2 dynamique only used to get 36mpg on the daily drive for exactly the same reason the 197 gets low mpg, my journeys are way too short to get any kind of economy - they're literally 10 minutes, if it's any longer it's sitting in traffic, which again does bot all for your mpg.

Maybe that's the case with Marty? Maybe he has a heavy foot? Maybe he's got a fubared 197 (welcome to ze club). Who knows, but we can all comment till we're blue in the face about the 197s economy, TBH.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Like I've said as well, it depends on your journey time too - shorter journeys will do nothing for your fuel economy either.

My 1.2 dynamique only used to get 36mpg on the daily drive for exactly the same reason the 197 gets low mpg, my journeys are way too short to get any kind of economy - they're literally 10 minutes, if it's any longer it's sitting in traffic, which again does bot all for your mpg.

Maybe that's the case with Marty? Maybe he has a heavy foot? Maybe he's got a fubared 197 (welcome to ze club). Who knows, but we can all comment till we're blue in the face about the 197s economy, TBH.

Close thread /

Status
Not open for further replies.