ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In Car PC - Who would be interested?

FF 182 w/cup packs
I'm looking at designing an in car PC setup, having a base unit in the boot or glovebox, running on an in dash screen or visor screens, running windows. From this you could run all you mp3's, run sat nav software, access the internet via a 3g data card and really anything else you wanted. if a unit like this was about the same price as a top end sat nav unit would anyone be interested?

MK1 Clio 16v
I'd be interested in knowing how you did it, i want to build one myself, the only problem is, how would you control the MP3 player? Touchscreens are quite fiddly and difficult to use in a bumpy car especially if it's a small screen..

Would you have some buttons somewhere?

BMW F31
i'd be interested in how you do it, i have looked into this alot in the past but never fully got my head around all the power issues etc. how much you talking for one?

al

ST on the way...
You can get 12v adapters so you can run the motherboard and other 12v devices off the car battery safely.

FF 182 w/cup packs
I'm looking at around the £500 mark plus screen, my ideas for controling the mp3 would be along the lines of a dash mounted media controller like the one dell uses (just a usb device). the power issues are fine, looking at using an inverter to begin with on the prototype model, i have the thing benched at the moment but picking up a screen at the weekend and then i'm going develop a case for it.

MK1 Clio 16v
Got links to the USB controller? That's all i need really to build one. I was gonna make a touchscreen car PC but realised it'd be rubbish to use for playing MP3's.

Need physical buttons as well as controls for the OS.

Also, how do you get the machine to shut down when you turn the ignition off? Also, needs to be quick to start up otherwise you'll be waiting ages for your music when you start the car which would be crap.

R35 GTR
I will be on look out for a laptop with broken screen for my install, and putting the touchpad on the arm rest in the door.

Only problem with laptop is how long it takes to boot, where as pc systems can be setup to boot very quick.

i am running
VIA EPIA M10000 Mini ITX
With a ATX Power supply. linked to my screen by Svideo witch comes standard on the back of the M10000 ITC mother board. the board its self is in the glove box with 3 fans :) and so far its all worked perfect :)

with 2.5" hard drive

Fiat Panda 100hp
I read about this, some guy has created his own os to go in his car, looks prtty cool, and u control all the mp3s etc using the touchscreen.

Cost me about £120 to set up this

one picture is me installing windows with a STANDARD sized cd rom ;) look how small the computer is its smaller then the cd rom

Attachments

• DSCI0011.JPG
    DSCI0011.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCI0015.JPG
    DSCI0015.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCI0014.JPG
    DSCI0014.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 35