ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In The Middle of Dogbone Powerflex Mounts - Need Help Please

Clio 172
Hi all. Had my Clio 172 for about 5 months now and ive never posted, but have always been looking through the forum for help etc. I can't find the answer to this question (apologies if the answer is there but i cant find it)

Anyways ive got a phase 2 172, ive taken off the dogbone mount with no problems, and removed the bigger of the two rubber mounts but still in place is a raised kind of metal lip which runs around the inside of the hole. I need to know if this metal lip comes off? it does not look like the powerflex busing i have bought will fit if this lip stays in place?

This is not my photo but should explain what i mean

Any help is really appreciated, not mechanic by any means but very keen to learn.
mount.jpg

Clio 172
Hit it with a hammer. Its comes out mate :smile:

If it doesn't....hit it harder :smile:
Perfect cheers mate - its seems pretty well stuck in there (possibly even welded) but so long as i know it definately comes out i'm sure ill give it some beans & get it in the vice.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Perfect cheers mate - its seems pretty well stuck in there (possibly even welded) but so long as i know it definately comes out i'm sure ill give it some beans & get it in the vice.
It defo comes out mate. Just open up the vice wide enough so that the outside of the mount rests against the jaws, and bash the inner lip out

Agreed. Took me ages to work that out and even took it to a garage to try and squeeze the new bush inside and they couldn't work it out. I think that same photo above is what made me realise. I bushed bashed it to bits until it came out!

dan's cast offs.
knock it inwards at one of the dents and it will come out easy enough or cut through it until you hit the dogbone itself and then bend it in and remove.

Clio 172
Right, got the bushings & metal ring out no problem now.

New problem, and i dunno if its me being thick or what, but when putting the exisiting bolt through the hole on the larger bushing, it will go in one end, but the other end is smaller, and will not even screw through. Anybody else get this? Here is a couple of pics

db2.jpg

db1.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Are you using the correct spacer? On the above pic in the original post there are two, wondering if you're using the wrong sized one (not sure if you do have two at your disposal though)

Clio 172
Are you using the correct spacer? On the above pic in the original post there are two, wondering if you're using the wrong sized one (not sure if you do have two at your disposal though)
Hi mate, yes definately using the correct spacer, it has to bee the smaller spacer for this bolt, because the bolt for the other bushing is thicker and therefore uses the wider spacer. Cheers for your input though, ive spoken to the supplier who do not think this is normal and have passed it onto powerflex directly.

Bugger wanted to get this fitted today.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh I'm with you yeah, probably was a stupid point but it's been a while since I changed mine haha!

Couldn't you quite easily just drill the hole slightly larger so that the bolt fits in nicely? I'm now starting to wonder if I too came across this problem when fitting mine.

I had this issue with mine, I think they may have been using worn drill bits as its fractions out. I redrilled mine to the correct size (10mm I think?) and it fitted perfectly

Clio 172
Yeah, good point lads wouldnt take much to drill a little off with the spacer in the vice. Ill crack on with that now.

Clio 172
OK cheers for your help everybody. Im now sorted. I drilled through and now the bolt goes right through, my supplier spoke to powerflex who immediately sent out another sleeve, so it will be with me tomorrow (not that i need it) but it this ever happens to anybody else and are not confident drilling, then i have a spare one for you.

Freshly fitted to my 172 and now i absolutely no popping or banging noises under hard acceleration. Hoping it stays that way.

Thanks again.