ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Increase CR by skimming head

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hello,

When I rebuild my engine I was forced to remove 0.15mm from the head and 0.05mm from the engine block for having a good surface.
Does this skimming of 0.2mm increase the CR so much that I need to remap the car?

Thanks,
Radu

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
The meg gasket is 1.3mm and the clio is half.
That one could lower too much, i think.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
You can buy Athena head gaskets in varying thicknesses, although I doubt you’ll see much difference in the behaviour of the engine with that amount of skimming anyway but if you want to be sure go up to a 0.75 or 1mm.
If you have the engine apart it’s relatively simple to calculate the CR by taking a few measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Th
You can buy Athena head gaskets in varying thicknesses, although I doubt you’ll see much difference in the behaviour of the engine with that amount of skimming anyway but if you want to be sure go up to a 0.75 or 1mm.
If you have the engine apart it’s relatively simple to calculate the CR by taking a few measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Athena is a little too expensive for this project, but I find that Elring one is 0.7mm thick, so the overall skimming will be less than 0.15mm.

Thanks for your reply!

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
You need to be careful how much you skim off the head as it can, and will have detrimental effects on the cam timing. Skimming a head to raise compression is not the done thing.
Hi Mark,
I did not want to raise the compression, I took the head from machine shop and the less material was 0.12mm or 0.15mm (need to look again). I also have some small grooves on the block am skim by 0.05mm for a good surface.
I know it does affect the timing, the tensioner cannot tension a longer belt.
I only want to know if someone skim to around 0.2mm, the final CR will be around 11.27 if I am right. Or 11.2 with Elring head gasket.
The Athena 0.85mm gasket will bring to original CR but is too much for my project, or maybe not?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi Mark,
I did not want to raise the compression, I took the head from machine shop and the less material was 0.12mm or 0.15mm (need to look again). I also have some small grooves on the block am skim by 0.05mm for a good surface.
I know it does affect the timing, the tensioner cannot tension a longer belt.
I only want to know if someone skim to around 0.2mm, the final CR will be around 11.27 if I am right. Or 11.2 with Elring head gasket.
The Athena 0.85mm gasket will bring to original CR but is too much for my project, or maybe not?
11.2:1 CR will be fine, but you’ll need to run on decent Ron fuel, or have it mapped conservatively for whatever fuel is readily available over there mate. You’ll need a different set of plugs to the standard 172 items as well ideally.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
11.2:1 CR will be fine, but you’ll need to run on decent Ron fuel, or have it mapped conservatively for whatever fuel is readily available over there mate. You’ll need a different set of plugs to the standard 172 items as well ideally.
I always use 100RON fuel in my Clio, so I will stick with it.
You mean spark plugs? Aren't the PFR6E-10 not good enough?

Radu