ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info needed

Hi All,

As some of u may already know - my car was stolen and written off - I'm contesting the valuation from my car with the insurance company.

I had a black MK2 PH1 172 clio.

They are comparing my car with silver ones. I need some kind of website stating the production numbers of the silver clios and the black ones. Or that the black is more valuable due to less cars made in this colour. We all know my car was quite rare in black. As the car was pretty much in mint condition - i'm not letting it go without a fight.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Clioless Loopy x

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
get as much as you can... of course!! good luck sadly i dont know about the production numbers.

Clio
You probably already have if you are going into colours but make sure you tell them about everything that was an optional extra. You'll be amazed at some of the stuff that is an option. Include it even if it was free!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
my advice is go to a renault dealer and get something in writing from them stating that due to the colour it would be of a higher resale value

i deal with this sort of stuff every day and to be fair if they are using glass's guide it doesnt take into account anything like rare colours as you'd expect

good luck getting it sorted :)

306 GTI-6
I would say the fact that only 117 of them were registered means it is worth a bit more. Think how many of those have been written off already in one way or another, and the fact that the rest probably aren't availble to buy. Its going to be difficult to get one in black to replace yours.

my advice is go to a renault dealer and get something in writing from them stating that due to the colour it would be of a higher resale value

i deal with this sort of stuff every day and to be fair if they are using glass's guide it doesnt take into account anything like rare colours as you'd expect

good luck getting it sorted :)

the dealer wont help her, thats renault enfield.

lou, I would have said check fubar/dan's website.
http://www.fubarnet.com/sales_data.html
but its the same as revels post
j

Not wishing to have a go here, but I doubt they will give you anymore than a silver one tbh. I realise that black is rarer, but there are still quite a few out there.

Bumder With A Buffer
Not wishing to have a go here, but I doubt they will give you anymore than a silver one tbh. I realise that black is rarer, but there are still quite a few out there.

Agree not meaning to sound de-moralising or anthing!

"Or that the black is more valuable due to less cars made in this colour"

I dont think they will look at it as in just because there were fewer made it should be worth more, personally i wouldnt pay more for a car over its colour (even if it was supposedly ltd run etc) I own a my monaco blue one (which incidently should be worth more than the black one on that mentality!) So is mine worth more???????

Last edited:
  306 GTI-6
Its not as clear cut as it being worth more because it's black. Its the fact that to get one in the same condition and the same car - ie black, its gonna cost more because there are a lot less available and they attract a higher price because of this?

Bumder With A Buffer
Its not as clear cut as it being worth more because it's black. Its the fact that to get one in the same condition and the same car - ie black, its gonna cost more because there are a lot less available and they attract a higher price because of this?

I wouldnt agree with that myself... im sure others would agree tho!

306 GTI-6
I don't think colour should make a difference either. But am pretty sure it does when it comes to cars. Take two cars exactly the same, only difference being the colour to a garage to trade in, and the one that is the most desirable colour will be worth more because it will be easier to sell.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ok bit of logic goes a long way.

Say lou wanted to replace her (mint) 172 with an identical version.
Insurance is built on the premise to put you back in the position you were in before the claim.

Like it or not black ones are more valuble, all you need to do is look and thats clear to see, so lets try and help the poor girl out and find her some examples of mint PH1 black 172's

Cheers.

Vaux Astra VXR Arden Blue
i handle insurance claims
Im sorry but they will tell you to go poke it
Its based on market value of the car before the incident, not how much it will cost you to replace it

read your policy it will say " in the event of your car being written off we will only pay the makret vlaue of your car "

They will have used glasses guide and they wont be comparing it to a different car they just enter the data get a figuire then consider the condition of the car. Also they can approach ur dealer with the chassis number which will tell them what you want to know

but you wont get anymore for that reason

Bumder With A Buffer

Insurance is built on the premise to put you back in the position you were in before the claim.

Like it or not black ones are more valuble, all you need to do is look and thats clear to see, so lets try and help the poor girl out and find her some examples of mint PH1 black 172's

Cheers.

Oh yeah couldnt agree more tbh... i was purely trying to put it into perspective thats all. I know i would expect say xx amount for my car but at the end of the day insurance companies arent there to make a loss. They will try and knock the price down wont they?

Cheers.

Oh yeah couldnt agree more tbh... i was purely trying to put it into perspective thats all. I know i would expect say xx amount for my car but at the end of the day insurance companies arent there to make a loss. They will try and knock the price down wont they?

they will pay what they say they will pay in the policy which is the market value

not how muchit will cost to replace

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends on the policy, the company and the claim system.

My family business for years was insurance, sorry love but thats not globally the case.

Depends on the policy, the company and the claim system.

My family business for years was insurance, sorry love but thats not globally the case.

Maybe not globally, but for most of the biggest insurance companies and groups this is most definitly the case.

I'm sure all would agree - its worth a try.

They asked for information like this - they asked for pictures (of which I have many) they asked for info on clubs i'm involved in, even pictures of meets and car shows, receipts for work done on it - and now they ask for evidence to show black is rarer. Surely thats enough to end the debate of what the insurance company will end up offering. All i have to say is I'm gonna try my best.

Thanks for the links - v helpful - as for debate - not so helpful.

Just like to say a big HA to those who thought it wasn't possible. Got a letter today from insurance saying they will give me full value of what i had my car insured for £5k. Hope that shows thats it always worth trying.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
gees o only £200 depreciation in 4 years, and 5k for mk1 is really top money regardless of colour.

you have well and truely done them lol. i'm suprized they didnt ask for the reciept for the car to see how much you bought it for, RAC (NU) did when i was ina crash. i'm sure if i wrote off my car they would not give me whats its worth because i paid alot less than the "market" value, a year later its still worth more than i paid lol. but ive still got its value at 5k