ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installation of crankshaft oil seal?

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
Im going to take gearbox out due repair of leaking selector shaft and while will out, I want also change crankshaft oil seal on flywheel end, is leaking too. How do you guys install this crankshaft oil seal? I know that seal is installed not flushed with cylinder block flange. In service manual there is used special installation tool which I think make a corect offset of seal towards flange... What is proven method of this without special tool, or what is corect measurement of sticking out...? I cant masure this directly on engine because seal was change at engine rebuild by previous owner and is leaking since then, so I think is installed incorectly. Thank you all for advice.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to take gearbox out due repair of leaking selector shaft and while will out, I want also change crankshaft oil seal on flywheel end, is leaking too. How do you guys install this crankshaft oil seal? I know that seal is installed not flushed with cylinder block flange. In service manual there is used special installation tool which I think make a corect offset of seal towards flange... What is proven method of this without special tool, or what is corect measurement of sticking out...? I cant masure this directly on engine because seal was change at engine rebuild by previous owner and is leaking since then, so I think is installed incorectly. Thank you all for advice.
This is the tool. I got mine from my local Renault dealer, so you might get lucky. It cost me £80 and has proven to be worth the money so far.

815AECF1-5080-4770-A3C7-B586C7BDBCB5.jpeg

I‘d read a few posts of people struggling to get the seal in without it leaking, so I didn’t think it was worth the risk. Not sure how far the seal goes in, as this tool is designed to push it in correctly. From what I’ve read you can push them in too far.

29194B67-D80D-487C-B263-3B93163A972A.jpeg

If you manage to find one, make sure the engine has no movement and is sitting level on solid ground. I managed to mess up my first attempt because the engine was hanging from a crane and it wasn’t stable. At £50 a seal, it’s an expensive job if you screw it up.

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
@Mr Underhill Thank you, very informative answer :). When I look at tool, it looks like at installation process you first slide seal on smaller outer diameter of tool, than whole assembly (tool+seal) is centered on the crankshaft by smallest inner hole of tool and than you push it all the way. From that it looks like inner cylinder of tool is on spring or can move toward outer cylinder, right? Can you please measure by caliper distance from the face of the outer cylinder to the face of the inner cylinder when you push it all the way like in process of installation? With this value I can make simplyer version of tool and save few bucks ;). Thank you!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
@Mr Underhill Thank you, very informative answer :). When I look at tool, it looks like at installation process you first slide seal on smaller outer diameter of tool, than whole assembly (tool+seal) is centered on the crankshaft by smallest inner hole of tool and than you push it all the way. From that it looks like inner cylinder of tool is on spring or can move toward outer cylinder, right? Can you please measure by caliper distance from the face of the outer cylinder to the face of the inner cylinder when you push it all the way like in process of installation? With this value I can make simplyer version of tool and save few bucks ;). Thank you!
When comes back to me I will, but not sure when that will be as my mate is building his new engine and has borrowed it from me.