ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing amp cables, where to feed them :S

Punto Evo Abarth
hello, i am considering putting my old sub + amp in my car, i have a03 clio, i was wondering where i feed the power cable and where i can connect the earth cable to? Where have you all done yours? thanks alot for your help.

earth cable on the rear seatbelt bolt... an power cable fed through the bonnet release grommet behind the glovebox

1.6 focus zetec....
As above....Feed the wires down the trim at the side of the car....is a b**ch but works!!

Kiza

Clio 182
Thought I would bring an old feed back to life.lol. I tried feeding the power cable through the grommet and had no luck at all. There is like a sealent in the engine bay where the bonnet release comes through. I tried taping the power cable to a metal rod to try and feed the cable through but no luck. What you guys think about drilling a hole? Could seal it after to keep it air/water tight?

depends on the size of cable 4awg and above drill a hole

file it down to make it nice and smooth both sides,
clean the hole, then paint it let it dry, put you grommet in and then route cable through the grommet. use some sealant either side....

be carefull as there is a lot of stuff you could damage in the engine bay make sure where ever you drill the hole the is nothing on the other side ie brake servo, or pipes......

do this at you own will i will not take any responsabilty to the work carried out on you car ie rusting etc this is just a quick guide.. im sure if you ask a ice installer they would agree to this method

Clio 182
Yeh i might try that. I was thinking about forcing a screwdriver through which is about the same thickness as the cable but I dont want to damage the wires and cable which is already going through the grommet.

check some of the other posts of installing amp cable the is loads of them, if you was going to drill a hole use a step drill that way you wont go flying through with the drill bit...

FOR SALE!!!
i just fitted my amp to day and put the wire thought the bonnet place best way i did was get a small thing tunner screw driver tape the amp wire to it then force the drive thought the went under bonnet cut the tape off and pulled wire thought then once amp wire was secure just pushed screwdriver back thought the hole worked great for me :D

BMW M135i
I've squeezed 4awg through the bonnet release grommet just fine, took a lot of brute force and ignorance but I got there. A tip would be to lube the cable up a bit with some silicon grease or a bit of washing up liquid to help things along.

I had to drill a hole for my alarm and a good spot is below the coolant reservior as if you unbolt it and swing it out the way theres plenty of room to get a drill in from the engine side so you know where your drilling.

Clio 182
Hi,
I finally had success with leighk18's idea. Only thing I struggled with was cutting the tape off when I didnt have a knife, but when i pulled the screwdriver back out the wire stayed in place :cool: . Gotta sort my earth out though. At the mo it is attached to the rear break light screw.

Thanks for all the input guys

FOR SALE!!!
Hi,
I finally had success with leighk18's idea. Only thing I struggled with was cutting the tape off when I didnt have a knife, but when i pulled the screwdriver back out the wire stayed in place :cool: . Gotta sort my earth out though. At the mo it is attached to the rear break light screw.

Thanks for all the input guys

haha cool first time one of my ideas has worked :)