ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing Windows

Inferno 182 CUP
Can I install windows on an external HD using a Mac?

And then use the external HD to run windows?

I may well be be wrong but I'm fairly sure you can't boot from external USB discs. You could probably install a virtual machine on an external drive and run it that way.

More importantly, why?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
This.

If your Mac has a DVD drive, junk it for an additional HDD.

Or, partition your current and bootcamp it.

Yeah, buy one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Macbook-Pro-Optibay-2nd-Hard-Drive-Caddy-SATA-/280707023971

Ditch the internal superdrive and you'll then have 2 HD's in the machine, One for windows and one for OSX....If you buy a big enough drive you could partition it and use the other half as a time machine backup or drive for you media.etc .etc

FF Clio 182
If power is not an issue just run a virtual machine. I have a 2012 pro but lots of old Windows software and games so i just do it that way and works fine. Don't like the whole idea of Bootcamp. Thats just my opinion anyways

Agree with the above. Bootcamp is a pain. People who actually need to switch between operating systems with any degree of regularity, will soon find it annoying and cumbersome having to reboot. Those that just need Windows would be better off with a normal laptop. Arguably, I suppose.

Having Windows and Mac separated only by a four finger swipe is the way of Kings. Copy & paste between operating systems is magic.

Although yes, plenty of power is a necessity. 16GB is fully for the win.

FF Clio 182
Agree with the above. Bootcamp is a pain. People who actually need to switch between operating systems with any degree of regularity, will soon find it annoying and cumbersome having to reboot. Those that just need Windows would be better off with a normal laptop. Arguably, I suppose.

Having Windows and Mac separated only by a four finger swipe is the way of Kings. Copy & paste between operating systems is magic.

Although yes, plenty of power is a necessity. 16GB is fully for the win.

My point exactly. If I need windows just click the fusion icon and can be in windows 7 in about 10 seconds, set up a shared folder and jobs a gooden :)