ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

instrument cluster rattle?

Clio 172 Ph2
clio sport 172 cup

problem is recent my instrument cluster rattles touch it and rattle goes anyone had this issue and/or got a fix?

Will

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Dash top off and make sure it's correctly secured. Sounds like it isn't

Clio
We have a dashboard rattle, well it's more of a "clonk" when going over bumps.

Sounded like it was coming from inside the dashboard over the passenger side. Turns out it's the wiper motor bushes getting tired allowing it to bang on the bulkhead!

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172
Common problem as I understand, I spent this whole weekend fixing ALL rattles from dashboard, I got time to strip the center console as the "gummy" finish that is over this section started to "melt"... also the door handles suffer this when gets moist and warm -awful material- selected by Renault, it was nice from new, not anymore.

Take the dashboard top off, takes less than 10 minutes it is only 9 torx bolts and some prying, pretty straight forward. When turning over the dashboard top, you will notice that all the main joints are made by melting clips of two different parts. This joints are either not perfect or have start to get broken making MANY noises as the body twists.
Also, the cluster has small gap that at certain rpms causes rattling (I suffered same rattle as you) and just joined the little flaps on the sides, and checked all the torx bolts, it felt much more solid after that, also add some lithium greas or silicon grease in between the plastics just a little, that will help to avoid that squeaky noises...
I stripped also, the radio, the climate controls, the hazards trim, the clock (that needed a bulb changed) and the cupholder which also had the bulb gone and was sticky.
All the parts got stripped from that gunk like finish and painted with Plastidip to give them a similar texture.

The important part here.. the rattles, I spent one - two hours reinforcing every joint in there, just took an old soldering pencil and starting melting one by one, you can twist the dash and press over the joints to see if they squeak or crack, keep melting carefully until you hear no clicks or noises, at the end the dash will be way more solid and all the squeaks will be gone.
The most problematic zones and more prone to make noises are both ends, there are two plate like joints that have a little channel where the A-pillar trims join the dash top, that two places are very very squeaky, make sure to melt all the joint there AND add three more melting spots these will finally stop the noises, and two extra on the side vents.
At the end... the result was awesome, really quiet interior no rattles (at least from the dashboard). You can also -if have time- clean everything up, and get a like-new dust free interior and I disassembled all the modules trims to be painted, so, you can clean all the buttons and put some silicone lub or lithium grease to bring the original feel to them.. Really really happy with the job, I will post some pictures later. If your are stripping the awful sticky finish, that will take hours :banghead: You might get ones on better condition on ebay too

For disassembling order, just search in youtube for clio dashtop removal, JUST CAREFUL on the center vents, you will need the pry the dashboard by pulling towards to YOU, not up. because there are two clips that break easily there... then for the center console... first pry out the hazard button trim, then the radio, then you get access to two bolts that hold the climate control module, unscrew them, pry the top part off, then just gently push to the right side first, it will come off. Re-assemble everything, and when installing the dashboard top, just make sure it gets into the four clips located near the windshield AND the three clip-like hooks for the passenger airbag cover (you'll notice them). Just locate the dashboard over, then gently push and slide it to the windshield.

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172
hope this link works....
http://imgur.com/a/MxVhv

Read the descriptions on the pictures for more detail...

MxVhv

MxVhv

MxVhv

MxVhv

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172
The melted joints on yellow were reinforced, the ones on red circles are NEW and help a lot to avoid the noises and make more solid the dash. In the cluster, the side flaps circled on red were joined with epoxy, just a little and I taped around the trip reset bit... It rattles a lot (see arrows) Oh... the ones on the tweeters are new... they also tend to rattle...