ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insulating garage door

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Looking to insulate my doors as there is a radiator in the garage and want to keep as much heat in as possible.

Was thinking polystyrene between the braces to bring up the thickness then a layer of silver insulation stuff?

Thoughts? Pics?
20190407_190959.jpg

Cheers

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
We’ve got a pair of original Cardale up & over doors that I’m really keen to replace with rollers.

However, that’s on hold at the moment as we’ve just welcomed our first born into our lives. But as a fairly temporary measure (because they let so much heat out and cold in) I covered the inside with the silver insulation you mentioned.

It has improved things a little bit but not as much as I thought it would. Although it does look better than wood that’s starting to rot!

510C3C73-F485-473F-A950-DE7BBB863710.jpeg

9569F11B-F2CC-44B4-9F9E-45418153D7A9.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
We’ve got a pair of original Cardale up & over doors that I’m really keen to replace with rollers.

However, that’s on hold at the moment as we’ve just welcomed our first born into our lives. But as a fairly temporary measure (because they let so much heat out and cold in) I covered the inside with the silver insulation you mentioned.

It has improved things a little bit but not as much as I thought it would. Although it does look better than wood that’s starting to rot!

View attachment 1413332

View attachment 1413331
Looks good. Mines the same with a big gap at the bottom.

Clio 182 Trophy
A floor to ceiling curtain made from something thick could work. Plus adding a layer of something like rubber tiles on the floor.

Failing that a large draught excluder at the bottom of the door.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I presume they have a gap for a reason. The roof of the garage isn't massively insulated anyway so fighting a losing battle there

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Mine used to have a big gap even with a draft excluder fitted. I’ve since rubber tiled the floor and inadvertently filled the gap. It’s made a massive difference especially not letting in the cold and dead leaves blowing under.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine used to have a big gap even with a draft excluder fitted. I’ve since rubber tiled the floor and inadvertently filled the gap. It’s made a massive difference especially not letting in the cold and dead leaves blowing under.
Pics? Looking to put something down on the floor eventually but unsure whether to go lino or get some of those rubber tiles. They're just so expensive!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Well aware of the gaps thanks gents!

But until I get some proper doors, there’s only so much you can do. It’s amazing how s**t the fitment of the original doors are.

I know the gap exists at the bottom to allow the door to come up but there’s no excuse for the gaps that exist down each side of the door.

Plans are also to get garage floor tiles instead of painting with epoxy. Warmer and last longer than paint lol

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I've got the same ones. They do the job but not very hard wearing. Still a lot nicer to kneel/lie on than ice cold concrete though

For the price it doesn’t really matter if you damage a tile or 2. I’ve over bought and have about 10 tiles spare so I can change them when they get too scruffy.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
For the price it doesn’t really matter if you damage a tile or 2. I’ve over bought and have about 10 tiles spare so I can change them when they get too scruffy.
Did you paint/seal the concrete prior to laying it?

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Garage Style Ltd seem to have the quality and style... although it’s pricey!

29F112A2-A96A-443F-8179-BD9EC9C9F009.png

You can spec custom designs on the mats as well, so would be nice to have an ‘RS’ logo!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Did you paint/seal the concrete prior to laying it?
Nope. Just swept it out then mopped it, let it dry and lay them straight down. Been down since October 2018. The garage is still cold but not as cold as it used to be. Bottled water use to freeze in the winter. Now it’s nicely chilled.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Jealous of your garage sizes! Mine is only 2.3M X 5.5M! Do like the look of those rolson mats, how thick are they?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I got a draught excluder on the bottom of my door. I went down the route of getting insulation and taped it to the door but it didn't really do anything so binned it off.

Got some expanding foam on the gaps of the garage door frame which helped a bit.

But honestly I get too warm working in there even in winter, find myself moving around and taking the jumper off that I put on as I'm a bit nippy at first.

I’ve got an unisulated electric roller on my detached brick garage and it stays pretty warm. There’s no insulation in there and plenty of gaps but I do have some carpet on the floor which seems to help when you’re working. Would go for tiles but it’s too expensive to probably ruin them with a jack/parts.

Only photo I have on my phone. Excuse the blue floor, my old fella got it from work just to seal the floor as it was fucked when I moved in ? will be going grey.

3E276260-E9D0-4E3D-8EE8-D2136C13E87C.jpeg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
at my previous house my workshop was an old garage.

cold concrete floor and 1mm thick plastic roof, it was freezing. in the depths of the winter there would be ice on the inside of the roof.
I got a cheap wood burner from clarkes, I couldn't cut wood fast enough to feed it to keep the place warm.

if not done properly it will never really be warm (keep the heat in), you need to go hard or go home when it comes to insulation sadly.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got those tiles and yeah axle stands leave marks but I just couldn't care less. They also burn with sparks from welding or grinding but it's a garage, not my living room!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I recently went from a broken 40 year old up and over door to a roller. Wasn't much more than another up and over. Didn't bother with insulation as the heat will just piss out elsewhere. It's basically like being outside but dry and not windy and that's good enough for me

A9B8B536-3D00-48DA-B16A-3A57DC1AB2B0.jpeg
A05D007E-706A-4F66-B046-00E6696B0CC2.jpeg

B31308A9-AE0A-4D93-95B0-BEE0F9300A0C.jpeg

4864286D-ECA8-4BBF-A914-851C3D51A134.jpeg

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth

View attachment 1413332

View attachment 1413331

I did this, then put the polystyrene type insulation in between the bracing, so the opposite of what you're suggesting (I think I wanted the more white than silver on view...). Got a couple of draught excluders on the top too (inside on the door/outside on the wooden frame), never got round to doing the bottom properly as there was one of those brush type ones on the there when i moved in.

Will get a pic if I remember.

Keeps it nice and cool in there in the summer, definitely warmer in the winter, still a bit nippy if sat still doing something but maybe i just need another heater.

Last edited:

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Im a garage door fitter by trade and as others have said its pointles trying to insulate up and overs.

A decent roller door like aluguard and priory are worth a look. If you have the funds maybe even a sectional door but you would need to make sure you have the head space in the garage for it to retract into.

If anyone needs any more info or even a quote please dont hesitate to get in touch

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Not really. Those old doors are really designed to keep the heat unfortunatly. As said your best bet is fill the gaps the best you can and draught excluders but unfortunately your fighting a losing battle.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Saturday was brand new home for my mine...only an old council garage but at least she’s dry now.

0B9639E6-9444-4A7D-B498-540B24E98043.jpeg

I’d have to have half the car outside the garage to work on it...But I’d dry thou. Not to many gaps but just wanted to post to get ideas.