ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance claim advice

Clio 182
So, on Saturday someone drove into the back of me while I was stopped behind a car that was waiting to turn right. Both ends of my car are damaged, and because the boot floor's now a bit bent I reckon it'll be a write off.

I've no doubt that the girl who drove into the back of me will eventually be found liable (at the scene they said "I'm not admitting anything till I speak to my dad") but I'm just wondering what's the best way of dealing with this. There are three options as far as I can see:

1) Claim off my insurance and get them to claim the costs back from the insurance of the driver who caused the accident. If they recover all costs it won't affect my no claims but I've been down this route before and it took a loooong time before everything was sorted out.

2) Claim straight from her insurance. Only problem with this is that she didn't know who her insurers were (named driver on her dads insurance), I've got her number and have tried contacting her a couple of times but haven't had any luck yet. Hopefully she'll respond soon otherwise that's a bit dodgy on her part.

3) Brentacre have suggested I phone Winn Assist (accident management company) and get them to deal with it. What they offer sounds brilliant but what happens if they never manage to claim their costs back from the other party's insurance? Do I then become liable for the bill? Those companies always seem like they're out to absolutely screw the other party as well, which seems kinda wrong to me.

This is doing my head in, my car's too buggered to drive and it's because of nothing I've done.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's an open and shut case, she went into the back of you so she's at fault. It really is that simple.

Ring your insurance company and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them for.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As Dan says - her dad could be Captain f**king America - but she's still a cow and still at fault.

I'd have been clutching my neck and put on a stretcher and straight into a helicopter from the scene TBQFH.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Call your insurance, let them deal with it. You aren't at fault and its there job, they'll probably refer it to a claims management company anyway.

Did you damage your front end on the rear end of the car in front of you? (You said in your post the car is damaged at both ends....)

If so you will be liable for their repairs surely? As you shouldn't have been parked so close....

Anyway it sounds like her dad has told her to avoid contact and deny it.... You got her number plate? And pics of the damage on all cars involved?

Clio 182
Did you damage your front end on the rear end of the car in front of you? (You said in your post the car is damaged at both ends....)

If so you will be liable for their repairs surely? As you shouldn't have been parked so close....

Yea, damaged on the car in front.

I definitely wasn't stopped too close too the car in front, the force of her hitting me pushed me (and the car in front as well) forward a fair bit. I can't see how I'm liable for it in any way at all. Anyone with any experience of this type of situation care to comment on that?

And yes, I got her number plate and her name, phone number etc. I've also got insurance details for the car off askMID but that doesn't tell me if she's actually insured, just if the car's insured. Anyway, I'm going to take the advice given on here and ring my insurance company tomorrow and tell them to sort it all out.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I was in the middle of a three car shunt not so long back, The car in front will claim off your insurance, but they will then pass the blame to the woman who hit you from behind. Just pass all the details onto your car insurance company and they will take care of every thing.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
It's an open and shut case, she went into the back of you so she's at fault. It really is that simple.

Ring your insurance company and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them for.

This, and don't forget to remind them you put your handbrake on so the shunt forward into whatever damaged the front of your car was her fault too!!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Only if he didn't h

Anyway it sounds like her dad has told her to avoid contact and deny it.... You got her number plate? And pics of the damage on all cars involved?

Only if he didn't have his handbrake on! If he did he'd stopped and his car was in a safe state (i.e. not likely to roll forward to impact the car in front, unless influenced by the impact of another vehicle hitting him, at which point it is their fault.) Always mention the hand brake!!

Last edited:
  PB 182 (1 of 29)
Yea, damaged on the car in front.

I definitely wasn't stopped too close too the car in front, the force of her hitting me pushed me (and the car in front as well) forward a fair bit. I can't see how I'm liable for it in any way at all. Anyone with any experience of this type of situation care to comment on that?

And yes, I got her number plate and her name, phone number etc. I've also got insurance details for the car off askMID but that doesn't tell me if she's actually insured, just if the car's insured. Anyway, I'm going to take the advice given on here and ring my insurance company tomorrow and tell them to sort it all out.

My sister was hit on A1 some years ago at 50+ mph which led to a 9 car shunt. The driver that hit her was changing a CD approaching a roundabout. When asked, she said her foot slipped off the brake at impact and she did not have the back up of the handbrake. Every driver in front said they did have the handbrake on. The chap that hit her got stung for his and her car, she got stung for the other 7 - Here endeth the lesson!!!

Last edited:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
In my non-fault earlier this year I let my insurance company admiral chase them for liability. Once that was obtained I got the reference number, stopped admiral from dealing with the case and went straight to their insurer requesting where I want my car to be fixed etc.

They then sent out an assessor to value the car and do repairs.

Only if he didn't h

Only if he didn't have his handbrake on! If he did he'd stopped and his car was in a safe state (i.e. not likely to roll forward to impact the car in front, unless influenced by the impact of another vehicle hitting him, at which point it is their fault.) Always mention the hand brake!!

Shirley even if he did have handbrake on he was still too close....

I was taught while being taught to drive that you had to leave distance to anticipate these things?

Also if he did have the handbrake applied properly how fast did the car hit him to move his car forward over the 'safe' distance he left to do any sizeable damage to his car and the car in front? When slowing down to turn at that junction surely she can't have hit him had enough to lift his wheels off the floor... So if it was applied properly then the car would have jerked a bit but not enough to clear the distance that should be left ... (Not that 99% of drivers actually leave that gap)

I may be wrong but only voicing what I was taught and have always abided by because honestly how many drivers actually honestly apply the handbrake fully at the type of junction the op details?

So, on Saturday someone drove into the back of me while I was stopped behind a car that was waiting to turn right. Both ends of my car are damaged, and because the boot floor's now a bit bent I reckon it'll be a write off.

I've no doubt that the girl who drove into the back of me will eventually be found liable (at the scene they said "I'm not admitting anything till I speak to my dad") but I'm just wondering what's the best way of dealing with this. There are three options as far as I can see:

1) Claim off my insurance and get them to claim the costs back from the insurance of the driver who caused the accident. If they recover all costs it won't affect my no claims but I've been down this route before and it took a loooong time before everything was sorted out.

2) Claim straight from her insurance. Only problem with this is that she didn't know who her insurers were (named driver on her dads insurance), I've got her number and have tried contacting her a couple of times but haven't had any luck yet. Hopefully she'll respond soon otherwise that's a bit dodgy on her part.

3) Brentacre have suggested I phone Winn Assist (accident management company) and get them to deal with it. What they offer sounds brilliant but what happens if they never manage to claim their costs back from the other party's insurance? Do I then become liable for the bill? Those companies always seem like they're out to absolutely screw the other party as well, which seems kinda wrong to me.

This is doing my head in, my car's too buggered to drive and it's because of nothing I've done.

What brentacre have told you to do is the correct action .... its not entirely simple but in the end it will be . You are currently liable for the car you hit ... use the accident management team

Clio 182
Shirley even if he did have handbrake on he was still too close....

I was taught while being taught to drive that you had to leave distance to anticipate these things?

Also if he did have the handbrake applied properly how fast did the car hit him to move his car forward over the 'safe' distance he left to do any sizeable damage to his car and the car in front? When slowing down to turn at that junction surely she can't have hit him had enough to lift his wheels off the floor... So if it was applied properly then the car would have jerked a bit but not enough to clear the distance that should be left ... (Not that 99% of drivers actually leave that gap)

I may be wrong but only voicing what I was taught and have always abided by because honestly how many drivers actually honestly apply the handbrake fully at the type of junction the op details?

It wasn't a junction btw, the guy infront was stopped on a main road waiting to turn right into a side entrance.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I imagine that you'll still get punted a fair distance even with the handbrake on. They're not that strong.

I imagine that you'll still get punted a fair distance even with the handbrake on. They're not that strong.

I may be wrong mate, don't take it as I'm preaching gospel lol but I was taught to leave a big enough distance that even if you do get shunted it shouldn't hit the guy in front (I'd say about a third of a car length minimum distance tbh

And will obvs depend on brakes (how old, how tight the cable is, how good the brakes are, how tightly applied etc...)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
A third of a car length is heehaw. For me that's only 1.4ish meters. Anyway, the point is that even with the handbrake on, you're still going to get punted a fair distance at say, 30mph.

A third of a car length is heehaw. For me that's only 1.4ish meters. Anyway, the point is that even with the handbrake on, you're still going to get punted a fair distance at say, 30mph.

Sorry lol

Worked out the length of the Clio to be a third when it is probably closer to a half

But fair enough I get the point mate

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I may be wrong mate, don't take it as I'm preaching gospel lol but I was taught to leave a big enough distance that even if you do get shunted it shouldn't hit the guy in front

All I got told when I was learning was if I couldn't see the rear tyres of the car infront I was too close.

you'll still hit them if someone is going fast enough !

But IMO from the op the person that hit him wasn't doing anything other than a normal/appropriate speed... (Ignoring the fact she wasn't paying attention)....

The quote is the most important bit IMO if she wasn't going fast enough to move the car a decent distance then the op was too close... Simple

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
What brentacre have told you to do is the correct action .... its not entirely simple but in the end it will be . You are currently liable for the car you hit ... use the accident management team

NEVER use a f**king accident management company, jesus

All they do is slap a load of hire charges and get paid by kick backs.

Just tell your insurers, as Brentacre are your brokers, to deal with it and sit back. If you need a hire car, yours or her insurers will provide an adequate car within their fleet, not an overly expensive third party hire car

PB 182 (1 of 29)

Just tell your insurers, as Brentacre are your brokers, to deal with it and sit back. If you need a hire car, yours or her insurers will provide an adequate car within their fleet, not an overly expensive third party hire car

Do this!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
But IMO from the op the person that hit him wasn't doing anything other than a normal/appropriate speed... (Ignoring the fact she wasn't paying attention)....

The quote is the most important bit IMO if she wasn't going fast enough to move the car a decent distance then the op was too close... Simple

I nearly hit a car from the rear once, put my handbrake on to see why the car in front had done an emergency stop but before I got the belt off I'd been shunted at about 30 from behind, my car hit the car in front (from about 2 metres away) with enough force to push my front cross member and radiator back 10 cms. You only have to look at the front of a modern car in a funny way these days and the crumple zone breaks!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Spinksy, IMO, does not constitute insurance fact.

Can you please stop confusing this thread with your opinions stating them as fact.

It's not only f**king annoying, but it's of detrement to the OP.

There is no minimal distance to be from someone, in the same way that if someone rolls back and hits you, it's their fault regardless as they should not roll back.

The handbrake is something new to me, I personally released mine when I saw the guy coming at me to minimise the impact.

I nearly hit a car from the rear once, put my handbrake on to see why the car in front had done an emergency stop but before I got the belt off I'd been shunted at about 30 from behind, my car hit the car in front (from about 2 metres away) with enough force to push my front cross member and radiator back 10 cms. You only have to look at the front of a modern car in a funny way these days and the crumple zone breaks!

Lol I know how easy they crumple mate, it's what they are meant to do, I was just questioning the distance :)

Your answer seems to have answered my question anyway mate

Cheers

And...

Sorry Rob

Clio 182

I knew something wasn't right, they were offering to sort everything out without really asking any questions or anything. That's where I told them to stop and that I didn't want to enter into anything with them. I don't agree with this like for like hire car stuff, I might get a nice car for a little while but it doesn't do anyone any favours in the long run. I'd much rather drive something silly like VW Up for a week or two tbh.

Pump her and her maw.
​....and this!

Also sound advice :evil:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As have I. Accident management company sorted my claim out with style.

New Audi A3 at £189 a day? Oh go on then.

Spinksy, it wasn't a dig, well it was, but it wasn't meant as abusive and may have come across as so, but it's really a pet hate of mine when people are stating things as if they're fact, when in reality they don't know.

If you want to put an opinion forward, make it sure it's put as just that, an opinion.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I knew something wasn't right, they were offering to sort everything out without really asking any questions or anything. That's where I told them to stop and that I didn't want to enter into anything with them. I don't agree with this like for like hire car stuff, I might get a nice car for a little while but it doesn't do anyone any favours in the long run. I'd much rather drive something silly like VW Up for a week or two tbh.

Good lad. Keeps insurance costs down in the long run.

Glad youre ok, and hope you get the motor/payout sorted painlessly

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The reason they can deal with it all no issue, is because she hit the back of you.

These firms make their money by taking on 0% loss cases, and processing them quick and painlessly. Mine was a parked car, the kid decided to do a runner and I found him, he deserves the 8k insurance bill.

As have I. Accident management company sorted my claim out with style.

New Audi A3 at £189 a day? Oh go on then.

Spinksy, it wasn't a dig, well it was, but it wasn't meant as abusive and may have come across as so, but it's really a pet hate of mine when people are stating things as if they're fact, when in reality they don't know.

If you want to put an opinion forward, make it sure it's put as just that, an opinion.

No offence was taken mate, I probably worded it all really badly tbf

Black 172
Woah on the speculation here.

As long as the person you went into the back of confirms they only felt 1 impact, the rear driver will be liable for all damage. You may have been too close but if it wasnt for the rear drivers actions you would not have hit the front driver and therefore they are liable. Simple. I would recommend calling the rear drivers insurance yourself - if they are accepting fault they will deal much quicker than your own insurer and provide you with a replacement vehicle. If you want to drop me a PM with the reg of the other driver I can get you the details on Monday.

Brad