ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance - Do you lose NCB?

H

HickiN

Morning all...

Quick question... do you lose NCB if you get banned from driving for say, a month?

HickiN

Well you haven't crashed or caused the insurance company to pay out. That's all they care about.

But when you tell them you've now been banned your insurance is going to rise massively anyway. Depending on what you did.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It's insurer dependent, but generally you lose them after not having a policy of your own for two years. I've heard of some being one year, though, so go careful and check with your insurance company.

PNCB has nothing to do with whether you take a 'break' with insuring a car or not, it only really helps during the event of a claim.

MR2 Mk1.5
But when you tell them you've now been banned your insurance is going to rise massively anyway. Depending on what you did.

Not necessarily. Convictions and bans are more common than ever, obviously yes it will depend on the circumstances but the usual speeding bans aren't as bad as you would imagine as far as insurance loading goes.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Your price will increase dependant on the code for what you were banned for. But your ncb will still be the same. That is almost like saying if your insurance runs out on 31st Aug and you don't renew until 1st Oct in the same year...would you lose them?

MR2 Mk1.5
I bet death by dangerous driving would add a few quid

Yes. Racing on the public highway is also one to avoid..

Worth mentioning that the CU80 (using handheld device whilst driving) is attracting heavy loads, almost as much as drink/drug driving.

While you're here Ollie..

Lets say I got a CU80/ban today. When do I have to tell you about it? When it's confirmed? Or upon renewal?

Listerine & Poledo
So what are the BIG ones Sky? You know, the ones where you pretty much laugh yourself to tears as the premium is calculated?

172 Cup is one, I'd imagine
Racing on highway
DBDD

Listerine & Poledo
Renault Clio 2.0 172 Cup
Bootle / Skelmersdale / Leeds / North
Leg tracking device
no NCB
2 fault incidents
9 points (phone, speeding, driving without insurance)

MR2 Mk1.5
While you're here Ollie..

Lets say I got a CU80/ban today. When do I have to tell you about it? When it's confirmed? Or upon renewal?

I'd always advise to let the insurer know as soon as possible, it shouldn't effect the price until renewal.

MR2 Mk1.5
So what are the BIG ones Sky? You know, the ones where you pretty much laugh yourself to tears as the premium is calculated?

172 Cup is one, I'd imagine
Racing on highway
DBDD

DD and DR offences
TT - Totting up
UT - Stealing a car

Listerine & Poledo
:)

Even when some 18 yr old actually forks over the 3k to drive their 2k french hatch? I'd have to probably put the phone on mute for a second while I composed myself.

"oi, steve... STEVE! He's only gone and done it! I KNOW! WTF yeah"

MR2 Mk1.5
The 17 year old in Manchester who insured his NA starlet with us for a screen rate of £4500 caused a slight snigger I must admit, believe it or not, that was by far the best price he'd been offered.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
For what it is worth, nothing in the insurance industry makes me laugh my self to tears.

Oh c'mon Ollie. We once had a claim where someone had managed to set fire to a Smart Car in a petrol station by putting fuel in the heater vents. Make of that what you will.

But yeah, when I was in sales nothing ever made me 'laugh myself to tears' when taking details/giving quotes. Other than some of the clients ideas' of the phonetic alphabet. Q for Cucumber, anyone?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
:)

Even when some 18 yr old actually forks over the 3k to drive their 2k french hatch? I'd have to probably put the phone on mute for a second while I composed myself.

"oi, steve... STEVE! He's only gone and done it! I KNOW! WTF yeah"

Genuine lollers!

H

HickiN

I am just asking the question - got caught the other day and the maximum penalty is 28day ban....

as per previous post...

98mph in a 70mph limit (conditions were near perfect, not wreckless/dangerous/careless - police words not mine)
Caught previously doing 65mph in a 50mph limit (£60 + 3pts)

Fully prepared to accept what punishment i get...

I just dont want to lose my 6 years NCB i have built up...

24 male
197 Cup
AB postcode
Driving for 7 years...

insurance is currently circa £550pa (with 3 pts)

Quoted £1300ish pa with 9pts...

I struggle to find insurance if i got banned for any length of time :(

Ah well.... my own fault i guess!!

H