ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring Cars in Parents Name

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Paying £2350 for my insurance, 22 in Liverpool, wish I hadnt been a named driver for the first year after I passed my test now :( (could have done without crashing that year too) One thing that does piss me off with insurance is that you cant protect NCD until you have 4 years :mad: Regardless of cost Id take out protection if I could.

Quote: Originally posted by ant_oneill on 21 January 2005

i had a ford ka as my first car... insurance group 2 i think

they wanted £4,000 to insure me on my own

no one in the right mind would pay that much for a car like that
someone is sailing you down the river at that price!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

I’m glad I went on my own insurance, it is very beneficial in the long run.

Paid £1300 F/C to insure my Fiesta, which I wrote off, stayed the same to insure my Clio the next year, and now with 1 years NCB, 5 points and a claim, I pay £700.

My mate, who drives exactly the same car as me (same colour as well, and lives in the same area), who was on his Mum’s insurance and crashed (so has to declare a claim and has 0 NCB) is up sh*t creak. He is finding it a pain to get realistic insurance quotes, and he is 21.

I am now getting quotes of £1500 F/C on a group 15/16 car, which is v.expensive, but my mate is looking around the same / more than that to insure a 1.2.

It costs a lot in the short term, but in the long run saves you a fortune. If you can’t afford to insure a car in your own name (through loans or whatever – My dad lent me the money, or paying monthly), then you can’t afford the car.

i havent missed the point at all.

i would LOVE to be able to go on my own insurance - insurers make it too difficult!

i phoned elephant yesterday and they quoted me £9,000. should i sell my 172 now to buy an A reg metro 1.0 or the like? just so i can get insured in my own name?
Mate without meaning any offence, its not anyones right to drive; legally you can drive at 17, but doesnt mean it has to be in any car, depending on your preference!

No wonder they were quoting 9k on a 172, I wouldnt insure you (or anyone else with no driving experience) if I was the insurance company!

You have to bite the bullet and pay it. if you cant afford it, then just carry on life as you were before you passed your test until you can!

Insurance in your own name.................its the only way and you know it makes sense :cool:

I did thats why I could insure a Pulsar GTi-R at 18/19 and have the Vee at 20 eh :D

Cya Stu

Quote: Originally posted by cliodriver on 21 January 2005

I am currently 18 and have been insured under my mums insurance for over a year and a half. Although it sounded good at the time, I simply could not get insurance in my own name. My car is a 03 Clio 1.6 Dynamique. The cheapest quote that I could get at the time was £3047. When it came to renewal, the cheapest I could get was £2870. There was no way that I would pay that much for yearly insurance. I am now a student at university in central london so could not take the car. So at the moment, my mum is driving the car more than I am! But I see the point. I will be trying to get insurance in my own name in my last year at university or as soon as I graduate.

Insurance at 17/18 is extremely difficult to find for a decent or reasonable price. Sure, my age group is classified as the most risky, but do they have to be extortionate? I will however be definatly insuring my car in my own name when I reach 21.

Ever thought about getting a smaller engined car? Least then you can insure it yourself. I know we all want fast cars as soon as we pass our tests, but we just cant afford to and they make it that way or we would all be killing ourselves in cossies and stuff.

Black Clio 182

i am insured in my own name and am on my second year now. this is a very good post.

wen i was looking for insurance at 17 for my 1.2 clio i was getting quotes at about £4000 but u just ignore these and have to shop around, i found direct line to be the cheapest at £1500. it was alot but i had to pay it. i have one yrs no claims and is £900 with admiral.

to be realistic u have gotta get a car that is around 1.0 to 1.4 for ur first car if u want cheapish insurance. people who are getting 172s and cars like that are just taking the piss. insurance companies prices are so high as they dont really want to insure u, if the price is unrealistic maybe its because the car u want is.

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 24 January 2005

I am currently 18 and have been insured under my mums insurance for over a year and a half. Although it sounded good at the time, I simply could not get insurance in my own name. My car is a 03 Clio 1.6 Dynamique. The cheapest quote that I could get at the time was £3047. When it came to renewal, the cheapest I could get was £2870. There was no way that I would pay that much for yearly insurance. I am now a student at university in central london so could not take the car. So at the moment, my mum is driving the car more than I am! But I see the point. I will be trying to get insurance in my own name in my last year at university or as soon as I graduate.

Insurance at 17/18 is extremely difficult to find for a decent or reasonable price. Sure, my age group is classified as the most risky, but do they have to be extortionate? I will however be definatly insuring my car in my own name when I reach 21.

Ever thought about getting a smaller engined car? Least then you can insure it yourself. I know we all want fast cars as soon as we pass our tests, but we just cant afford to and they make it that way or we would all be killing ourselves in cossies and stuff.
exactly! iwould love to own a aston martin db9 i could probably afford the insurance premium but not the car aint life a b**ch!

im not going to go and do something illegal and stupid just to have one which is what this thread shows you are doing if you insure a car in your parents name

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 25 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 24 January 2005

exactly! iwould love to own a aston martin db9 i could probably afford the insurance premium but not the car aint life a b**ch!

im not going to go and do something illegal and stupid just to have one which is what this thread shows you are doing if you insure a car in your parents name

To be honest, I dont consider the 1.6 clio a big engine. It does what I want to do nicely. It is hardly a DB9 is it?

As I mentioned before, its not your right to drive a powerful car (and a 1.6 IS a powerful car, at least in the eyes of insurers), you have to drive a low-powered car first, its all about practice!

This is why insurance companies reward you for driving a low-powered car and not crashing it - with lower premiums!

I did also look at insurance premiums for both 1.2 16V and 1.4 clios before I bought mine. All prices were very similar, and the biggest range was £150. So I thought that I might as well get the 1.6.

Not a Clio

i was lucky when i first started driving.

The insurance was in my name but my dad paid for it so I had the benefit of it costing me nothing and i was earning a NCB. That was a 1.2 Clio. I think the premium was about £1500 and I was 20.

Currently got 3 years NCB (lost a year) it will be 4 years in march this year I believe and im paying £115 a month on my modified Gsi fully comp.

Valver

I cant say I really agree with young people being allowed to drive powerful cars but I guess its down to the driver in the end, however do some of you really believe the reason we pay higher premiums is because of fraudalent claims etc? Its because the insurance companies have a monopoly between themselves (if that makes sense) they are all tied in with the same database and they all work together to charge us more, they do it because they know we cant live without our cars so we have to pay.

Look at it this way, you pay 1500, 1200, 900, 600 over a few years, thats 4200 over 4 years, you then crash your car worth 10k, whos at a loss, o the insurance company.

Yeah but then you get people like my dad whos been driving for 37/38 years and never had to claim. That (at a way-below-average guess) works out at 37 x £200 p/a premium = £7,400. This is ignoring inflation/interest etc etc.

How many people in the UK are like this? Quite a lot I would say, get to a good age without having so much as a bump.

Oh cliodriver - your post is b****cks and you know it - An insurance companys quote for a 1.2 would not be similar to a 1.6 for a new driver, no chance!

308, Fusion

im insured under my dads name, im 19 now, ive just got a job, i only go my work in day, and he goes to work at night, coz hes on nights.

but if this guy who started the post is correct, i think il be takin my own insurance out,

guess itl hav be 3rd fnt.. but whats this accelerated bonus thing? who does it?

rsturbo and a xr3i

the way i look at it... insurers have bumped up the insurance prices way too much over the past few years. its never been harder to insure a car than it is now. some people have money and should therefore be able to afford a nice car and to run it.

5 years ago it was easy to insure a car equivalent to todays clio 172 at 18/19 years of age and build up your NCB, thats why some of you people who are 24+ can sit back and say its wrong to insure cars the way we have to do it.
i can see where your coming from but when you say 5 years ago it was easy i think your wrong my husband has been driving 14 years and his first car was a 998 metro rite heap of sh*t but that was all he could afford to insure at the time granted insurance has gone up alot since then but back then what he was paying was alot

Quote: Originally posted by Sami on 03 February 2005

Obviously us or they wouldnt be in business...
Not in individual cases, the insurance companies lose out. There may come a time when a pay out is greater than what youve put in.

Also why has insurance gone up over the years? Because of us the driver, personal injury claims and uninsured contributing to rising costs.

Quote: Originally posted by BluePete on 04 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Sami on 03 February 2005

Obviously us or they wouldnt be in business...
Not in individual cases, the insurance companies lose out. There may come a time when a pay out is greater than what youve put in.

Also why has insurance gone up over the years? Because of us the driver, personal injury claims and uninsured contributing to rising costs.
...... and kids driving cars that are too powerful for their capabilities and skills!

Quote: Originally posted by FN04 XZE on 03 February 2005
Yeah but then you get people like my dad whos been driving for 37/38 years and never had to claim. That (at a way-below-average guess) works out at 37 x £200 p/a premium = £7,400. This is ignoring inflation/interest etc etc.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">How many people in the UK are like this? Quite a lot I would say, get to a good age without having so much as a bump.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Oh cliodriver - your post is b****cks and you know it - An insurance companys quote for a 1.2 would not be similar to a 1.6 for a new driver, no chance!

Actually this is true, the quotes that I got were very similar for the 1.2 16v, 1.4 and 1.6. I dont know why this was the case.

Not a Clio

i havent missed the point at all.

i would LOVE to be able to go on my own insurance - insurers make it too difficult!

i phoned elephant yesterday and they quoted me £9,000. should i sell my 172 now to buy an A reg metro 1.0 or the like? just so i can get insured in my own name?

elephant are never cheap, if you spent a day on the phone youd find cheaper.

I got my first car at 20 and it cost about £1500 tpft on a 1.2.

Anyone who buys a car without looking into insurance first is either loaded or very stupid.

It wont be long (i imagine) before youll be leaving home and then you will have to have your own insurance so it will be a case of finding the money to afford it or selling up! It could be a good few years before youve built up enough no claims to make a difference in the premium.

currently im 17- 18 in march, drive a 1.8 rsi on parrents insurance... on Tesco. car is in my name i think, and im the main driver..

was thinking bout geting a 306 1.9tdi grp 5 or so..
Then i figured i was probly best just keeeping the clio..

Dont Have a Clue what to do now!! probly going to uni....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

My bro was insured under ma dads name...Wrote off the 172 and the insurance company paided out. Why not make use of ur parents for cheaper insurance...

Sure the points made are valid, but go against everything i belive in.

I pay 300 a yr fully comp, inc mods...under garage policy, sure aint got any NCB, but do i care, £2000 or £300!!! U choose!

Point made?

Youd be royally screwed if your dad decided he didnt want you on his insurance any more!!

And if you crash and claim on your parents policy, it means that every age brackets insurance average premium will go up to compensate.

And when you move into your own house, are you really going to still have your dad as the main driver? pretty difficult for him to be a main driver I would say, if the car was parked at yours!!

i dont see why people have such a problem with paying for their own insurance maybe if you all bought cheaper cars then you wouldnt pay as much just thought ;)

i paid 600 third party for my first car a mk2 xr2

then i paid 900 for my primera si

that came down to just under 400 in the 3 years i had it

then the clio just shy of 1k that came down to 600 with 3 points in the 1 and a bit years i had it then the fabia 378 with 6 points

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

yup i agree there ^^^

Just pay it and it will becoem cheaper/

My first year had to be on me folks insurance as i was 17 and no one wud insure me.

so 1.0 Micra - £1700 with provissional licence

2nd year - £1400 my name FC

3rd Year - £1100 changed to Clio 1.2 2001 3 months into it

4th year - £850 FC with all mods declared

comign up to 5th year renewal and im glad i started in my own insurance.

As i can now get quotes like £850 FC on a brand new 182....

l

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I absolutely, decidely, 110% loathe and dispise car insurance - BUT - its a necessary evil that we all have to pay for.

The original post was very informative and a worthy read - the best bit imo, was the fact that many of the telesales people are nothing more than input clerks. They generally know little from one car model to the next and its either easily to exploit the system or hit a brick wall (anyone see Little Britain...... "The computer says nooooooo....")

The best ever insurance quote (in terms of information required of me) was with Adrian Flux. The first question they asked was "how long had I had the vehicle". Brilliant. I had my Punto GTt for 6 years and the fact that I never claimed, got any points on my licence or other convictions must prove something. You cant own a turbo-powered car for over 2,000 days and not get stopped, have it knicked etc, if you arent careful in the first place.

They also wanted me to provide any lists of mods, pictures (if needed) and other details about the car. This helped to actually reduce my premium at the time. It was a great touch and one that I didnt mind spending time on at all.

Btw stusV6 - where on Earth do you live to get a decent premium for a V6 at the age of 20? Are you on the Shetland Islands or something??! ;)

D.