ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring Cat write off cars

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok so my clio got written off and the garaqge has repaired it. its ready for collection when im ready etc...

just trying to get insurance and prices are sky high, my previous insurer is quoting me just over £1k saying its so high due to being a cat c write off.

how the fook does that work? surely a cat c car would be cheaper as its not worth much?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
That's a b****cks excuse tell em you go elsewhere. I've had cat c cars before and insurance is just the same!

PB Clio 172
not sure mine is a cat c but mines been in a crash as it says on my v5

yeah thats bullshit mine is hardly a lot to insure!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
they might want more money as its never gonna be as strong second time if it was crashed again, so maybe they are covering them selves as another repair would cost them more, i may be speaking absolute sh*te but just an opinion

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
sounds like bullshit, they'd never pay out as much on it the second time anyway, the car is worth less as a cat c, and they know it well.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
sounds like bullshit, they'd never pay out as much on it the second time anyway, the car is worth less as a cat c, and they know it well.

Wrong. Common misconception mate.

They will pay out the market value unless they go to the hassle of proving the repair is of seriously poor quality.

Why did you get it repaired? I have to ask.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's kinda hard to explain.

If policyholders knew what they were legally entitled to we wouldn't have any insurance companies left.

I know the industry inside out and there probably isn't a question I haven't asked.

The problem begins because people don't know what they're entitled to. They don't know "the rules".

They simply accept that if there are cars on ph/at for similar price to their settlement figure it's all is good. There are lots of ins and outs.

I'll get the exact wording for the total lossed cars being settled twice.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yes purchased off the insurance company and had it repaired at cl panelcraft braintree.

and as i say original insurance company are quoting over £1k

just gone onto gocompare and am getting quotes of £620.

car insurance is one massive con, ive done f**k all wrong and am not suffering

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
no they dont

anyone else recommend some insurance companies to try that arent on compare web sites. i know direct line arent on there

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It's kinda hard to explain.

If policyholders knew what they were legally entitled to we wouldn't have any insurance companies left.

I know the industry inside out and there probably isn't a question I haven't asked.

The problem begins because people don't know what they're entitled to. They don't know "the rules".

They simply accept that if there are cars on ph/at for similar price to their settlement figure it's all is good. There are lots of ins and outs.

I'll get the exact wording for the total lossed cars being settled twice.

I understand it pretty well, though not worked in it directly. My stepdad was a broker for about 9 years, so he's always had me wise to the knowing what you're entitled to thing too. I know where you're coming from, what I meant was, any first offer will be justified by "it's already a cat C". Whether this is honourable or not......well I think we know insurance companies dont do honourable

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I understand it pretty well, though not worked in it directly. My stepdad was a broker for about 9 years, so he's always had me wise to the knowing what you're entitled to thing too. I know where you're coming from, what I meant was, any first offer will be justified by "it's already a cat C". Whether this is honourable or not......well I think we know insurance companies dont do honourable

They are not at all dishonourable. If you do something wrong, give false information, modifications ect... you're more than entitled to a shafting.

The financial ombudsman controls insurance companies. They aren't a law unto themselves that some people seem to think they are.

I can honestly say i've only seen 1 claim ever thrown out and it was for modifications on the car. I really think it was deserved in that case.

If the insurance companies/engineer wanted to they could throw out loads of claims per year. They don't.

gally - how do you mean what people are entitled to ?

I'm an Assessor.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

To pick up on the cat C part. It doesn't quite work like that if they follow the rules or if the policyholder knows the rules. 90% of engineers I know stick to the rules.

Rbs insurance companies are the best on the market. Direct Line, Privilege ect..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I know that, but thats my point. Most dont know the rules, and insurance do take advantage of that. Assessors may be generally ok, but loss adjusters tend to be pretty militant

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The engineers deal with the valuation and settlement mate.

I've yet to see an engineer "rob" a policyholder. Even though they know the car could be bought from auction for £400 they still pay out maybe £800+.