ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring Your Car in Your Parents/Missus' Name.

Black Clio Mk3
I just bought a new Clio, costing £10k and i bought insurance for £2338 with me as name driver, Sounds rather stupid paying that much. However my mum can drive and i have 3 sisters that are over 21 and they all either have Speeding points or Accidents claims. Hehe..

Clio 172 Cup
insurance is soo high because of all the chavs my age with dodgy insurance, just pay the extra to be all above board, aint gotta worry when the police drive behind me, none of this "im driving it umm, to my dads work for a mate, uh..mate!". im 19, payed £1850 for my first year, third party on a 1.2 clio, i got 1 years NCD and pay £850 now, and thats fully comp. was well worth the initial payment.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Interesting read.

But I am 17 right now, insured in my mothers name as a named driver.

The reason I did this was because I will lose all my no claims when I go to uni (as I will be there for 4 years with no car).

Is this not the case? Have I been misinformed?

Sam

Interesting read.

But I am 17 right now, insured in my mothers name as a named driver.

The reason I did this was because I will lose all my no claims when I go to uni (as I will be there for 4 years with no car).

Is this not the case? Have I been misinformed?

Sam

Yep 2 years of not being used and you loose them.

Static Low
This kinda worries me slightly i suppose.
My dad bouht a renault clio dynamique for me and he is insured as the main driver.. where as i am the additional driver..
but i suppose the truth is he drives it just as much as me cause he feels "coool" haha

No wheels :(
Im in the same boat, except im the only one who drives my car, as he has a company car, which pays for fuel insurance tax the lot.

I pay for the insurance and its in my dads name.

Quote of £886 per year, the car is also in his name.

Is this illegal??

Cheers, Sam

Clio 1.2 Versailles
I live in central Manchester, 19yr old male, etc etc.

My average quote on a 1.2 clio, on my own policy, is between 4 and 5k. Simply can't afford it.. But I *need* to drive. The public transport round here is a shambles, and without a car I'd be on the dole, unable to work.

Just hope I don't have a crash until I can move out of this shithole and get my own policy.

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
Im in the same boat, except im the only one who drives my car, as he has a company car, which pays for fuel insurance tax the lot.

I pay for the insurance and its in my dads name.

Quote of £886 per year, the car is also in his name.

Is this illegal??

Cheers, Sam

no thats fine, as long as you're down as the main user

If your not down as the main user - you could just lie surely? They don't know if you are or not. Dont admit it and you cant get done for it. They can interview your neighbours or something but thats very unlikely - and if they do deny it as it isnt hard evidence

If your not down as the main user - you could just lie surely? They don't know if you are or not. Dont admit it and you cant get done for it. They can interview your neighbours or something but thats very unlikely - and if they do deny it as it isnt hard evidence

Insurance is a tight margin business these days they will check up they need to try cut down the claims.

If they do a bit of digging find out your are the main driver then they'll cancel insurance and you'll have to take them to court. Do you fancy your chances there?

Insurance is a tight margin business these days they will check up they need to try cut down the claims.

If they do a bit of digging find out your are the main driver then they'll cancel insurance and you'll have to take them to court. Do you fancy your chances there?

They wouldnt have any hard evidence to suggest that I would be driving it more then my parent though? So they wouldnt be able to win the case

Clio DCi 65
Ok,

Ive got Clio Dci 65 atm,

Its currently £545 per year for me when i was 17, brother 20 (0Ncb) and my mum on her policy,

Was looking at gettin a Hyundai Coupe 1.6 SE and got quoted about £650, about the same as a VTR!

But i dont get NCB's!

Hopefully starting my own policy soon!!!

Less
A very interesting read.
The insurance on the R27 is £335 with me as main driver or £188 if my GF is main driver. Difference being she has 4 yrs NCB and I have 2.

Now its the only car in the house hold, we work at the same place, now I assume will drive it the most, but look at the price diff.

Is this the same situation as the dad and 17yr old son?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
yes interesting, im on my mums policy she lives at a different address with a different surname to me, the car is registered to my dad who lives with me, i am down as the main driver of the car. this is all legit.

now i did an online quote for 3 cars for fully comp and £150 excess
mk1 ph2 1.9D clio - £549
mk1 ph1 1.4 auto clio - £502
R5 GT Turbo - £498

at the time i was 19 with 0 years ncb
work it out! the normally asperated diesel was the most expensive!
but as it is i dnt pay my inurance mum does which is now about £400 odd.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
this is a very interesting thread, and hearing real peoples storys is rather refreshing.
i can see both side of the argument because i have been there, ive only been driving 18 months an on my third car, not by crahsing but because of the insurance.
when i passed in jan 06 i was soo eager to get driving, in till you have a lisence insurance is the furthest thing frm your mind all you want is a nice car. i done some research and i found that for a 1.1 saxo the cheapest i could get insurance for was £1700, i got quoted silly stuff like 6 grand, but they are not allowed to insure you for more than the value of the car, the put that down as a knock back and that show up on your history, if you try to buy it. strangly fully comp £1700, third party F&P £1900. however i looked at insuring under my dad and i came back for £400 fully comp with legal cover and all that jazz. bargin so i got that and my dad bought a 1.1 saxo, 2 months later i found he had bough a lemon and needed rid, so i looked about ad found we could insure a renault laguna for only £90 more, i thought bargin, we got a laguna amended the policy with a £30 admin fee, and i had 6 months of lovely motoring, until september the 29th when a taxi driver drove into the side of me as i was coming off a big round about. ARGGHHHH!!!. what a polava, she was going mental at me because her excess was £600, i was going mental at her because i only found out the week before i had a £300 compulsarry excess ontop of the £250 voluntary excess because of my age. so the claim went in, the asked are you a names driver?, yes, how old are you ? 19, ok you will be paying a total £550 excess (oh jobbies). every thing was going fine untioll she starteplaying dirty , got her husband, who wasnt there, and 3 other taxi drivers who werent there, to falsify statements that they saw the accident etc.any way the inssurrers wanted copies of the receips of the car the mot and the v5, it was at hat point i had a brown trouser moment when we say policy read owner, william, v5 read owner ross. (ohh jobbies) w never checked the v5, we assumed that it was regiistered to my dad as the saxo has been and my dad bought it, however, i picked it up and handed in the paper work when we exchanged the cars and the garage put my name on the v5. but because it was a no fault claim inthe eyes of the insurers they i guess let it slip when we explained what happened. its been 10 months now and its still unsettled the legal cover looks like it was waste of time as i could write more convincing letters stating its your fault pay up b!tch. (oh did i mention that she had insured her taxi under her husbands name, well i thnk so, the owner/policy holder changed every lett i get) and is counting as a black mark against me.
Now i have gotten insurance on my own cost me £1400 for my 1.2 clio, which tesco insist is a billabong, but it definetly an ordiary one, best not to argue as i wont get a rebate on the insurance because a b-bong is £60 more expensive to insure. but next year when i'm 21 the insurance will be less than a grand.Now i'm legal and i would never go named driver and would not encourage any one to do it, i know its cheaper but the stress of thinking my insurance is void, and potentially could stop me or my dad getting insurance or putting the premiums sky high, was soooo no worth it. my bro has just passed his test and the has enough lesson in the block he booked left to do a pass plus course, so he'll end up with cheaper insurance than i have with a years ncb, but we are making sure he goes the leagal route, besides going the bad route any car would never technically be yours not officially, you would pay for it but the paper trail woudl lead back to your parent, as for most places the policy holder must be the legal owner and registered keeper.

clio mk1 1.8rsi+saxo vtr
i pay £1600 tpft for my 1.8 8v mk1 but i have 1 claim 3 convictions and 12 points /previous ban so i think i got pretty lucky i am 21 on my own policy

but they are not allowed to insure you for more than the value of the car,

i was going mental at her because i only found out the week before i had a £300 compulsarry excess ontop of the £250 voluntary excess because of my age. so the claim went in.

Insurers can ask what they want there no limit.

If your not to blame for the crash then you don't even need to be insured to be covered as your cliamaing on there policy you don't pay any excess etc its all at the other companys risk.

Clio 1.2 16v
Some you guys may hate me for this...

just managed to get my insurance fully comped for 300 with the post office.... i couldn't believe it so i rung them up to confirm what i had read off the internet, sure as hell was right so not bad for 17 year to have that hey! The only thing is i don't get no claims discount but for that price not overally fussed right now, the excess is abit steep £600. But at the end of the day i just can't believe i managed to get a years cover that cheap when some my mates cars worth 300 are paying nearly 2000 its emmence!

I know you may say they have got it wrong wouldn't be suprised, as recently hastings direct had to cancel some of their policys with people as their system got it wrong just hope that that isn't the case with this!

chris

Clio Mk 4
I have always had my own insurance, had one minor bump which was my fault, sent my insurance sky high but got rid of the car. haven't driven for 18 months and bought a new clio insurnace £380 for 10 months and my NCB at the end of the 10 months. Good going. I also added the rents on which halved my premium and they do occasionally need to drive my car, convenience etc.
As for the people who drive around under the parents insurance, really annoys me dont have the car if you cant afford to run it properly. My dad has had to deal with so many cases of 'kids' having accidents with them being a named driver rather than main and the consequences are way too high (assets frozen) so paying that insurance premium aint so bad.

MkV Golf R32
Hi, my mum has just bought a clio 197 but am I allowed to be named as a named driver if I only use it occasionally? I have my own policy on a different car aswell. Is ok to be on two policies at the same time?

Cheers, hope some1 can help me out.

Mk4 .:R32
insurance is a joke. I don't agree with people driving with no insurance but I understand what they mean when they say it works out cheaper for them to get caught with no insurance than paying a ridiculous premium paying for other peoples mistakes.

I went on my dads insurance for my first year of driving. We both used the car so it was fair enough. But the main reason was cos my initial quote for a 1.2 clio RN in my own name was 1800 quid. It's ridiculous.

Mondeo ST220
insurance is a joke. I don't agree with people driving with no insurance but I understand what they mean when they say it works out cheaper for them to get caught with no insurance than paying a ridiculous premium paying for other peoples mistakes.

I went on my dads insurance for my first year of driving. We both used the car so it was fair enough. But the main reason was cos my initial quote for a 1.2 clio RN in my own name was 1800 quid. It's ridiculous.

but those people using the excuse of not paying a ridiculous premium for other peoples mistakes are the mistakes! people having accidents with no insurance are pushing up the bill. the money has to come from somewhere.

Mk4 .:R32

but those people using the excuse of not paying a ridiculous premium for other peoples mistakes are the mistakes! people having accidents with no insurance are pushing up the bill. the money has to come from somewhere.

Yeah I know that, but for the individual not paying for insurance it works out better. If it was up to me I wouldn't pay insurance, and if anything happened to my car and I was at fault, then I would pay the damages. I've gone 2 years without having to claim, but still managed to spend 2300 quid on insurance due to ridiculous premiums. I could have saved that cash up and if anything goes wrong I've got the money to cover it.

Yeah I know that, but for the individual not paying for insurance it works out better. If it was up to me I wouldn't pay insurance, and if anything happened to my car and I was at fault, then I would pay the damages. I've gone 2 years without having to claim, but still managed to spend 2300 quid on insurance due to ridiculous premiums. I could have saved that cash up and if anything goes wrong I've got the money to cover it.

Shame it doesn't work that way tho, a majority of claim costs are third party costs. Ie the brand new £50k merc that they crash into, not to mention the injury claims and lawyers fees..

ATR
I work for an insurance company, and i would recommend strongly that you do not Front your policy.

If your found guilty of this, and your policy wording (the small print) dictates that this is improper use of the policy, then the underwriters have the authority to hold any payments.

I have witnessed on so many occaisons people that have obviously insured their own car in daddy's name and its so easy to spot, we can check everything, any quotes on the car you had in your own name, how many cars in your household, any company cars, its even more obvious when your dad has two cars insured with the same company.

If you have a crash the chances are that they will not pay out, and have every right too, especially if you have a new policy, one which would have been worded differently to avoid fronters.

We can do research, we can go to your house, watch you, ask your neighbours who drives the vehicle on a regular basis, (we are big brother....lol only joking)

Putting yourself as the main driver, policy holder, and adding your parents on to drive the vehicle is perfectly legal, providing that you (if given the option) inform the insurance company they drive another vehicle reguarly.

You are basically driving without insurance if you are caught, and in extreme cases, its now punishable by law, with the possibility of 6 points on your licence for driving without insurance. (if your company refused to pay for you and the third party)

By far the WORST part of this, if you are caught, you get 'decline markers' added to your name by your existing company. This means they will refuse any future business with you. While you may think this doesnt matter, What you probably dont know is this is forwarded onto a central database, shared with every insurer.

You try getting insurance elsewhere with that on your file, you'll take out a policy and you can almost guarentee they'll get back to you within a week and say your premium is higher, or they wont insure you.

So think again :)

I am guilty as charged for doing this, i did it for a year, and for the life of me wish i hadnt, as i would be in the position now to have been driving 2 years with 2 years ncd, and could afford and insure a fast car. Instead im driving a 1.6 waiting for my first years ncd :(

ATR
Oh and for the people that think uninsured drivers are the biggest risk, think again, the number of foreigners that come over here, on their countrys driving licence you will not believe, they are entitled for a year to drive on their licence, and then apply for a provisional, which they do, but they continue driving on it without a supervisor. I have experienced so many of these cases and am proud to say ive got a number of the f***ers of the road :)

106 gti at the mo
i added my mum as a named driver on my policy and saved allmost 500 smackers
cheers mum!!!!!

E87 118d M Sport
im 21 and did a quote for a 172 03 plate the other day, came to £520.
am curerntly with directline and as my dad (who drives for a living) has a policy with them, they do 10% discount for 2 people living in the same house (or 'linked policy').
Maybe if someone at the age of 17/18 is looking to get cheaper insurance, see if they would benefit getting their parents to get a policy with them, then link your policy in your own name to theirs.

This was you arent acting 'fraudulantly' and obtain your own ncb.

My 2nd insuance policy (when i was 18) was 1600 quid. glad i payed it now tho!!! in 8 months will have 4 yrs ncb and protect it (touch wood)

'97 mk1 ph2
Im 17, ive been insuring my 1.2 mk1 clio since november under my own name, tfp+t (£1500) and i crashed the other day! The bloke is claiming whiplash off my insurance so my premium is going to skyrocket when i renew! One of my mates has a 1.6 16v Vauxhall Astra under his parents names and only pays £650 a year! mines going to be nearer £2000 now and being 17 in college I can't afford £160 odd a month :(! I need to go under a parents name but am afraid of all the legal issues surrounding it! :(

i have a big problem, i brought my car when i was 16 and with the job i had i was buying mods ect for when i passed my test so it would look good etc. about to take my test, i have 17inch wheels body kit, exhaust sound system tinted windows, tinted lights lowered suspension, bucket seats. 1.2 2006 mk3... insurance in my dads name him the main driver me a casual driver 1400.. me on my own policy cheapest i found was just over 3.8k! :( this cant be right?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i have a big problem, i brought my car when i was 16 and with the job i had i was buying mods ect for when i passed my test so it would look good etc. about to take my test, i have 17inch wheels body kit, exhaust sound system tinted windows, tinted lights lowered suspension, bucket seats. 1.2 2006 mk3... insurance in my dads name him the main driver me a casual driver 1400.. me on my own policy cheapest i found was just over 3.8k! :( this cant be right?

There's your answer.

You're young, inexperienced, and you're modifying.

Three things insurers despise with a passion.

FF RB 182
Wen i was 17 passed my test, got my little 1.2 and got my insurance on my own fully comp, it cost me 1000quid but im glad I did, plus my parents made it more! Now im 18 (nearly 19) and stil got me 1.2 and now i pay 750ish (i thnk). <- that myt have something to do with my 3points on my license! oppsy!

My boyfriend is 19 and got a 1.8 MG ZR, he paying around a grand but the only way churchill would let him be insured was to get a tracker. and iv got no chance of been insured on his car.

would a tracker not help you people with faster cars than mine, who are men and are young?

Clio MkII
Good read all-in-all, but leaves me feeling like i really need some tips on insurance.

On a '98 1.2 Clio, they want just over £3,000 for me on my own, and just under £1400 in my dads name, keep in mind this is all 3rd party, no comprehensive here! This seems a longshot to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, and just shows why young drivers dont want to insure their own car.

Key

Sidenote:

That sounds a lot like my quotes, only mine is a completely unmodified car, 18, tho only driving for about half a year. If i could get what some of the people saying "im glad i got it myself" here got, then i happilly would, but 3grand on an unmodified car, ridiculous.

Clio 197, Civic Type R
My first insurance policy was on a citroen C2 1.1 sx. It was £2300 and cost me £190 per month for 10 months and a £400 odd deposit. I was 18 years old and could barely afford it to begin with. Insurers expect you to do things properly but they absolutely skin you. Ive now got a clio 197 and i aint even insured it its just sat theyr doing nothing im still looking for quotes now and its been almost 3 months. The cheapest i got was £2600 as a named driver on my moms policy which is still crackerz, but i was just about to pay the deposit for that policy this week then i just read that essay and now i aint gonna!!! then i got £4300 fully comped and £3400 third party fire and theft on my own policy. Its nuts man! Thats another car! Since all these insure quotes are so daft, whats the deal with traders insurance? alot of people i know just get their dad to open a traders policy as the policy holder as u have to be 21, and have themself as a named driver. When ive checked that i havent seen no check boxes to show who the main driver is, but now ive read this im wondering if thats fake aswell. And why the HELL do girls get way cheaper policies on cars when i know hundreds of gurls that have writ off first year.

Another idea someone came up with was this.

Buying a SHAT car for a couple hundred quid. Fully comping it and making sure that your policy allows you to drive any car, getting ur big car and insuring it in your mom and dads name. Technically, its kind of right. If your covered to drive any car and your cars insured, then thats actually correct isnt it? especially if your driving the little car aswell. but i spose if ur not driving that car at all u can get done for it. but im not sure let me know! because if thats the case and that insurance method is cool then im doing it!

Last edited:
  1.4 Rt 199tees
Oh and for the people that think uninsured drivers are the biggest risk, think again, the number of foreigners that come over here, on their countrys driving licence you will not believe, they are entitled for a year to drive on their licence, and then apply for a provisional, which they do, but they continue driving on it without a supervisor. I have experienced so many of these cases and am proud to say ive got a number of the f***ers of the road :)

I have experienced so many of these cases and am proud to say ive got a number of the f***ers of the road :)[/quote]

Ha, ye ime the main driver on my 1.4 Rt and its 900 something.. on my own policy as i live in surrey, (full of really expensive cars) its would have been 2300 ! which i cannot simply afford! EMA pays my car insurance! !