ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intel stock HSF's = crap?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just checking if this is the norm, guys. Having been firmly in the AMD camp for nearly a decade and a half, are the retail boxed Intel heat-sink and fans usually poor in terms of performance?

I've been tinkering with the i7 which has a stock clock of 2.8Ghz. I only just got it to 3.2Ghz when I was getting CPU temp alerts from BIOS aplenty. Checked them myself and they were between 79C and 83C while doing pretty much nothing.

I've dropped it back to the 2.8Ghz default and all is well again. Are the HSFs just crap? :S

Cheers,
D.

Yep mine was poor.

Finally pulled my finger out and ordered an Arctic Cooling one for my Core2Quad (pretty sure they do similar for an i7). Got all the best reviews and best buys for ages. Made a big, big difference especially with noise. Don't forget the Thermal paste though! :)

Iceberg Ph1
I always used to use Zalman fans in any custom build (depending on space), if your looking to OC the Intel, the standard fans are absolute rubbish!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Another vote for Zalman, I had artic cooling prior and whilst it was much better than the standard HSF the Zalman is in a different league.

NewPCBuild001.gif

NewPCBuild008.gif

Intel stock are pretty bad but that seems a little bit off. Have you tried re-seating it?

Dont bother with zalman these days, they are overpriced for what you get. The Thermalriight ultra 120 is dam good, or the prolimatech Megahalem, which is probably the best. Both cost a bit but are very good.

It's not that they are bad, they are just designed to be ran at stock.

I got an ACF 7 on my E6300 @ 3.2Ghz, seems ok.

172 Cup
You want to be looking to the higher end coolers like the Noctua UP12, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, Titan Fenrir Evo or Tuniq Tower 120.

No point going for your average mediocre HSF when you've spent a sizeable amount on decent components.

I have a titan fenrir v2 and it does the job well, the paste that comes with it was a bit shat though. Not too badly priced either.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Be interested to hear your temps Darren, my i7 is running stock with a Noctua and runs around 39-41 deg across all the cores when idle.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wrong one.. This is the one you wanted - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Noct...ooler-Intel-755i7i5-and-AMD-AM2-3-Compatiable

The one you've bought is smaller and designed for HTPC's or MATX cases.

Stick "Noctua U12P SE2" into Google and look at all the rave reviews.

Ah well, it's close enough I guess! ;)

I have to say that the build quality of the Noctua product, together with the accessories provided and the fitting instructions are nothing short of exceptional. So long as it keeps it cool during OC'ing - I think these guys will be my standard HSF of choice.

Be interested to hear your temps Darren, my i7 is running stock with a Noctua and runs around 39-41 deg across all the cores when idle.

It's been on for over an hour now, Moz. Installed a few things, moved some RAID items over etc - nothing too CPU demanding at all really. But it seems cool enough for now...

Temps.jpg

D.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Let me know what coretemp gives you across all 4 cores. It might be worth reseating my heatsink looking at your initial temps. Do you use the 'pea sized' blob in the middle of the cpu method with your paste?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Let me know what coretemp gives you across all 4 cores. It might be worth reseating my heatsink looking at your initial temps. Do you use the 'pea sized' blob in the middle of the cpu method with your paste?

Will do. I've just come off an hour of L4D2 and going straight to the Asus Probe again, it's showing 32C and it's pretty warm in this room now - lol. I've made the first step in OC'ing it - up to 3.2Ghz and its been fine. The stock HSF was absolutely shite - either that or the miserly blob of TIM they put on the copper plate was waaaay too little.

I've never been a fan of the 'blob' method since way back in the day to my 2nd AMD CPU that simply overheated within about 30secs of firing up. I put more thermal paste on there and everything was fine. Even the Noctua instructions said to put a very small blob on the centre of the CPU. I tend to put more on, but spread it out with a non-conductive implement - a small plastic knife is perfect imo. I put a thin spread on and leave about a quarter-inch gap all round from the edges to allow for the 'squish' when the HSF clamps down on it. I must have swapped the CPU in about 20 machines over the years and its always worked for me. :)

D.