ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent heater fan.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bit of a strange one this.
Yesterday i went into town and the fan was working perfectly well.
When I got back In the car the fan was as dead as a dodo.
The climate control panel was showing the fan speed and heat setting as it should and could be changed to different heat and speed. But no matter what I pressed on the panel nothing would kick the fan back into life.
I checked the fuse and it was ok.
I have a spare fan and resistor pack ready to change today. Not a job I wanted to do as its still white over and cold as hell outside.
So this morning I jump in the car and the heater fan starts as normal 🤔 the speed control works, temp goes up and down as it should. The only thing i did notice is the AC wasn't engaging or disengaging. There was no click when I turned it on or off.
I turned the car off. Restarted it and the fan is still working and now the AC is working and I can hear it click. It's been working perfectly since it had a new condenser and regass at Birchdown a couple of months ago.

My question is? What else other than the fan itself or the resistor pack could it be that caused the fault in the first place? Something I can maybe look at should the problem arise again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Clio MK3 1.5 dci GT
Bit of a strange one this.
Yesterday i went into town and the fan was working perfectly well.
When I got back In the car the fan was as dead as a dodo.
The climate control panel was showing the fan speed and heat setting as it should and could be changed to different heat and speed. But no matter what I pressed on the panel nothing would kick the fan back into life.
I checked the fuse and it was ok.
I have a spare fan and resistor pack ready to change today. Not a job I wanted to do as its still white over and cold as hell outside.
So this morning I jump in the car and the heater fan starts as normal 🤔 the speed control works, temp goes up and down as it should. The only thing i did notice is the AC wasn't engaging or disengaging. There was no click when I turned it on or off.
I turned the car off. Restarted it and the fan is still working and now the AC is working and I can hear it click. It's been working perfectly since it had a new condenser and regass at Birchdown a couple of months ago.

My question is? What else other than the fan itself or the resistor pack could it be that caused the fault in the first place? Something I can maybe look at should the problem arise again.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I've had to change the fan today. I was a bit worried it wasn't going to work but it did . So I'm happy. Had to remove the clutch pedal and the steering column to get it out. A pain but worth it . To answer your question. t could be the freezing temperatures ..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've had to change the fan today. I was a bit worried it wasn't going to work but it did . So I'm happy. Had to remove the clutch pedal and the steering column to get it out. A pain but worth it . To answer your question. t could be the freezing temperatures ..
I just checked and you have a mk3 Clio?
That sounds like a right pain in the arse to change.
I've got a 182. I changed my fan for a 2nd hand unit back in August 2021. Still a bit of faff but probably not as bad as yours.
I've done a bit of reading and it sounds like, fingers crossed 🤞, it might be the thermistor in the internal temp sensor. I've ordered some off Amazon. They're only pence.
Yesterday the fan worked perfectly fine the first time I used the car, then later that day, again, nothing 😡.
Late last night I fired the car up and it was working again 🤔.
I wish it would pack up completely, at least that way if I did change the fan or resistor and it worked I'd know for sure which part had failed.
It's a proper head scratcher for sure.