ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Speedo

Hi, I have a 53 plate 172 Cup.

Recently my speedo has started to become a bit intermittent. I took it to a mechanic who said it is one of two things, either the instrument panel or a sensor located in the engine bay (he showed me but I know nothing about cars).

Has anyone else had this problem and is it more commonly one or the other?

Thanks

02 Iceberg 172
Dodgy speedo sensor - located on the rear of the gearbox, down the back of the engine. Not very expensive and easy to change yourself - just yank out the old one and push in the new one :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As above, do it when its cold though, or do what I did and take a layer of skin off the back of your hand lol.

They're around £19 from Renault AFAIK.

02 Iceberg 172
As above, do it when its cold though, or do what I did and take a layer of skin off the back of your hand lol.

Ha! Yes this - the sensor is right near the exhaust manifold so as said best to do it when the engine is cold.

The sensor also has a small silver heatshield clipped around it so make sure you put that back on the new one...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Another thing, its a lot easier to pull it out with a pair of grips (once you unplug it) saves you actually pulling like a man with no arms to get It out!

Thank you all! Speedo sensor it is then. Am I right in thinking that it is located behind the engine and down in the middle, almost under the bottom middle of the windscreen?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Heres two, looking down the side of the coolant bottle;

image_zpsd75238b1.jpg

I'm pointing at the sensor with a screw driver;

image_zps9718db9a.jpg

Hope this helps fella!