ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IOS 8

What the f**k has happened to AirPlay? I can only play the odd video, and when it does - it just gives up half way.

It was going so well.

This is DRIVING ME INSANE!

Pre iOS8, I went to play a video (in YouPlayer) from YouTube - as soon as I selected it, I made sure AirPlay was turned on and my Apple TV was selected - and as if by magic the video appeared on my TV.

Now, I have to select video, press play, watch the spinny loady thing appear on TV, then it'll disappear - some reason I then have to press play again on the video. Sometimes it'll play. Sometimes I get nothing.

aaaargh

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just a heads up incase people didn't know. By far the best and most useful update in ios8 is the fact you can see by % what app uses the most battery In the last 24 hours. Might help a lot out on saving the rubbish battery life.

setting - general - usage - battery usage

finally something usefull!!!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
That battery thing is amazing.

One thing with IOS8 that has pissed me off massively is the camera roll thing. Why did they need to mess with that?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Photo stream,

So effectively photo stream is the same as before apart from this time they've just grouped them up into days, months and years. You still have all photos in 1 folder which you can just swipe between just like before.

Whats even better is when you click on a specific photo not only does it tell you at the top where the picture was taken but its date and time stamped. Brilliant.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I like my iPhone as much as the next guy and also really like using iOS, but blimey you guys are getting excited over features android introduced years ago.

SQ5
I seem to be having some weird audio problems with YouTube videos. When I flick it to unmute it will mute and then the switch is inactive and won't unmute

dk

911 GTS Cab
That battery thing is amazing.

One thing with IOS8 that has pissed me off massively is the camera roll thing. Why did they need to mess with that?

Photo stream,

So effectively photo stream is the same as before apart from this time they've just grouped them up into days, months and years. You still have all photos in 1 folder which you can just swipe between just like before.

Whats even better is when you click on a specific photo not only does it tell you at the top where the picture was taken but its date and time stamped. Brilliant.
i dont understand how you ca slate camera roll and then cum over photo stream, when they are one and the same thing now and photo stream doesn't exist anymore.

you have no photostream, it won't keep the last 1000 photos anymore, it keeps every photo and merges them into one folder on all devices, and then if you want them saved in the cloud, you have to save them to your iCloud backup, meaning you'll easily go over the 5gb free limit and mean everyone will be paying apple for monthly iCloud space, genius, i suppose at least they've massively lowered the price, so its only about £3 a month for 20gb now. i had 20gb of photos and videos on my iPhone 5, so you'll need to chose a time to delete them, as you need to be able to store them on the device as well as in the cloud.

i personally prefer it how it was before, I'm not sure you quite understand the new system?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
i dont understand how you ca slate camera roll and then cum over photo stream, when they are one and the same thing now and photo stream doesn't exist anymore.

you have no photostream, it won't keep the last 1000 photos anymore, it keeps every photo and merges them into one folder on all devices, and then if you want them saved in the cloud, you have to save them to your iCloud backup, meaning you'll easily go over the 5gb free limit and mean everyone will be paying apple for monthly iCloud space, genius, i suppose at least they've massively lowered the price, so its only about £3 a month for 20gb now. i had 20gb of photos and videos on my iPhone 5, so you'll need to chose a time to delete them, as you need to be able to store them on the device as well as in the cloud.

i personally prefer it how it was before, I'm not sure you quite understand the new system?

You lost me at iCloud.

I don't use it

I understand the new system no problem. Its different, you'll get over it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Found a bug already :( if you are typing a text in landscape mode, then double click out to another app, then back to the message... even though you're still holding it in landscape mode it goes to portrait mode, and won't return until you've turned the phone into portrait and back to landscape again! This was always fine in iOS 7.

Peddled device
I'll type this as I want to shout it.....

"WT ACTUAL F HAS HAPPENED TO MY 4S AFTER I INSTALLED iOS 8???????"

My battery is fcuking goosed! Try this.....with no apps running I lost 5% of battery life in 6 minutes!!! WTAF????

No apps are open, and all location service sh1t and other such updates are off, so WTAF is eating the power??

320d M Sport
Hmm. Experts in here...!!

My missis is trying to delete some old pics / vids from her phone. The delete option has gone...!! I've accessed the same photo in Years, Collections, Moments and Albums and there's hundreds with no option to delete, the buttons gone?! Only option is to hide or copy.

I'm pretty good with iOS but stumped, is this a bug..?!

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Can anyone help with this, I needed to post a photo on FB that was taken last year but when I open the photos it only shows the last 30 days.

Its ts doing my nut in.

Also so my 5s is soooo slow now it's unreal.

Peddled device
Check what's using the power in settings- usage- battery:)

I did. 30% Safari, 26% WeChat, 14% Argus (I shut it down completely as it was running all the time), 12% lock and home screen, the rest is just bits and pieces.

I've not changed my habits in the last 24 hrs.

The battery went dead, and i've never done that before! So, i've just recharged it to 78%, with no apps open (17:52 here), just the home screen lit. Lets see what happens this time..... I'll report back......

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Hmm. Experts in here...!!

My missis is trying to delete some old pics / vids from her phone. The delete option has gone...!! I've accessed the same photo in Years, Collections, Moments and Albums and there's hundreds with no option to delete, the buttons gone?! Only option is to hide or copy.

I'm pretty good with iOS but stumped, is this a bug..?!

Are they photos downloaded from a comp ie not taken on the iPhone ? If so you cannot delete them they have to be deleted through iTunes.

320d M Sport
Are they photos downloaded from a comp ie not taken on the iPhone ? If so you cannot delete them they have to be deleted through iTunes.

They are! Really? I did not know that. Why the hell would they do that. It makes no sense...?!?

Peddled device
I did. 30% Safari, 26% WeChat, 14% Argus (I shut it down completely as it was running all the time), 12% lock and home screen, the rest is just bits and pieces.

I've not changed my habits in the last 24 hrs.

The battery went dead, and i've never done that before! So, i've just recharged it to 78%, with no apps open (17:52 here), just the home screen lit. Lets see what happens this time..... I'll report back......

Ok, very strange! Its now 18:06 here and the phone is still showing 78% ! Earlier it would have lost over 5% of power in that time.

Now I will open Safari and WeChat apps and see what happens. I've opened 3 pages on Safari, and the WeChat app, with the home screen showing.

18:08 at 78%.......

Peddled device
Ok, very strange! Its now 18:06 here and the phone is still showing 78% ! Earlier it would have lost over 5% of power in that time.

Now I will open Safari and WeChat apps and see what happens. I've opened 3 pages on Safari, and the WeChat app, with the home screen showing.

18:08 at 78%.......

I'm stumped ! Its 18:28 and only down to 76% now. It doesn't make sense. If it's somehow cured itself, what was up with it before?!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OK so rather than a single issue moan, or a single positive.. here's my findings so far:

Positives:

So far, I've genuinely only seen one, and that's not being a facetious.

Battery usage on apps, that's a great feature.

So, the negatives:

1) As a very frequent landscape typer (especially for longer emails/forum posts), I'm disappointed that even with a larger screen, the new keyboard is the same size as it was on the five. I don't know what's happened to the five, has they keyboard got even smaller to accommodate for the side buttons that have been put into place?

2) Photos, the loss of camera roll is (IMO) unacceptable, browsing back through photos is now at utter ball ache. This is something I really hope they bring back. Also, having the delete photo's twice? Just why?

3) Safari, since getting the 6, it seems poor as f**k. It freezes a lot, i.e make a landscape post to cs, and it freezes until I turn it back to portrait. Then I can begin using it again. I've also noticed that the "back" button now sneakily involves reloading the page. Which it never did before. To notice this, on iOS7 if you read a thread, then went back, it was still unread until you refreshed the page. Now, you read something, go back, it jumps back, then a second later it quickly refreshes and the thread shows as read. Just slowing things down really.

4) Light double tape whilst in safari, whilst browsing safari if you double tap the home button (not pressing the button, just tapping) the screen splits, leaving a weird blank at the top. I've no idea as to the purpose as it's totally blank.

I'll add others as I go. But overall, it's not a great update. Feels rushed.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
1) You do realise you can add alternative keyboards now right? You might find this article interesting: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6...ards-you-can-get-right-now-and-6-to-get-later

2) I've not taken any photos yet lol, but this sounds like it could be annoying...

3) I gave up with Safari in iOS 7 as it often crashed on me, I went to Chrome. I'm going to give it another go but can't say I'm impressed with the speed of it so far

4) This was made so you can reach the top of the screen without having to use two hands...

dk

911 GTS Cab
Can anyone help with this, I needed to post a photo on FB that was taken last year but when I open the photos it only shows the last 30 days.

Its ts doing my nut in.

Also so my 5s is soooo slow now it's unreal.
Facebook uses your camera roll to post pics, as camera roll no longer exists and it's not recently added, this only includes the last 30 days, so you only post pics taken in the last 30 days currently, people are hoping that facebook wil change the app soon to allow you to post using the collections selection, that way they will be available.

Just one one of the nuances of getting rid of camera roll,mwh should at least have a choice on this to keep it if we wish.....

dk

911 GTS Cab
1) You do realise you can add alternative keyboards now right? You might find this article interesting: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6...ards-you-can-get-right-now-and-6-to-get-later

2) I've not taken any photos yet lol, but this sounds like it could be annoying...

3) I gave up with Safari in iOS 7 as it often crashed on me, I went to Chrome. I'm going to give it another go but can't say I'm impressed with the speed of it so far

4) This was made so you can reach the top of the screen without having to use two hands...
I've always just safari and I'm fairly sure it's reloaded the page when going back for a long time now, certainly did on my iPad on Cliosport. Safari seems to constantly change when it reloads pages though, also seems to depend how long it's. Been open and how many tabs, gues it depends how much ram it's using and whether it needs to refresh as its run out of ram, hopefully it won't close like it seemed to do quite a lot on my iPad Air with ios7.

As as for the double tap, it works anywhere, and I think was mainly designed to reach the apps at the top of the screen, guess it's more useful on the plus,, but it's nice they've added it.

Photoostream am and camera roll is a car crash imo. Maybe we'll just get used to it and wonder why we did it the old way in a few months.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the clarification on the weird double tap thing, it looks very awkward IMO but at least it's has a purpose.

Keyboard, didn't know that. Cheers.

Glad you agree regarding camera roll DK.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'm finding the update to safari on the iPad to be more like the iPhone frustrating too, I don't always have the back button as its hidden when the top navigation bar disappears, so to get it back I need to scroll up and down the page, I preferred the old fixed navigation bar tbh. I didn't mind so much on the iPhone as I don't use safari too much on that, but with my iPad im using safari for many hours each night.

oh and the adding extra words in is starting to get worse i think, seems to be happening all the time for me since upgrading.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm finding the update to safari on the iPad to be more like the iPhone frustrating too, I don't always have the back button as its hidden when the top navigation bar disappears, so to get it back I need to scroll up and down the page, I preferred the old fixed navigation bar tbh. I didn't mind so much on the iPhone as I don't use safari too much on that, but with my iPad im using safari for many hours each night.

oh and the adding extra words in is starting to get worse i think, seems to be happening all the time for me since upgrading.

Can you not just swipe back? Rather than use the back button

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yes, but a swipe back requires quite a long swipe, and the way I hold the iPad in landscape with a hand either side means I need to use my thumb to do most things and to swipe and I can't get a long enough swipe most of the time, but I was easily able to press the back arrow and it was much quicker, now it's not there half of the time. Would be just nice to have the option to not auto hide it rather than being forced to.

same thing to reload the page too, that's hidden most of the time now.

Ive found that you can press on where the bar should be and it reappears, but that's epan extra touch each time etc.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

I'm finding this the same to be honest, very frustrating on the refresh button and the back button not being there

dk

911 GTS Cab
The swipe back can be a sharp quick swipe in landscape with your thumb.
I've tried it multiple times and my thumbs just aren't long enough to swipe far enough and half the time it just doesn't work so I get frustrated.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yes but I'd say it only works a quarter of the time, seen many reports of the same... :S

Edit: It might not be enabled on the iPhone 5S as you can use it perfectly with one hand anyway!

with out reading this entire thread;

When using spotify through the head phone jack, when I remove the headphones music continues to play? Anyone else noticed this? Slightly annoying.