ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is 100,000 miles+ too many?

Ive been looking at a ph1 172 in red and would like to by it, but it has 109,000 miles on the clock which kinda puts me off!
car on a W plate with belts done at 63,000 odd (march '03) and dealer history up2 90,000.
once the 172's hit 100,000 do they become much more high maintainence or am i just worrying?:dapprove:

Shed.
yeah motorway should be fine. but tbh i still wouldnt. id never get anything more than 60k unless it was somehitng like a gt turbo. then id get it if it had 200k on it lol.

so no. personally id go for somehting with a little less on it. however it is a braganing point for the car.

wel they claim its a motorway miles job, had 3 previous owners also so not sure whether tht is a put off job?!?
but does the general maintainence go up after 100,000 miles?
not a bad price really, is up at 2800 quid!:)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I would walk away, it's not cheap enoungh.

Plus it will need a new belt very soon - £500.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mileage on moern cars isn't that important tbh, it's how various other parts have been maintained and replaced over the time.

If it has a full service history at correct intervals then I wouldn't discount it. If the belts have done 60k, then I'd get them to change them first, or kock the price down to nearer £2.2k.

53 Clio's & counting
yup,i paid 2k for mine on a 2001 'Y' with 98k and fsh,now about to turn on 110k and running lovely

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
it wouldn't bother me at all. get the price down a bit, and its a steal. if its a garage, get em to do the belts as well!

6/468 17poo
wow if this is a red phase 1 in maldon i was just gonna ask the same question!

seems in good condition but mileage is a worry!

Have you seen it?its 10miles down the road may have a lookie!

Ryan

BMW E46 330i Touring
Well my mileage is now 75k and is honestly running sweeter than at any point in the last 25k...

wow if this is a red phase 1 in maldon i was just gonna ask the same question!

seems in good condition but mileage is a worry!

Have you seen it?its 10miles down the road may have a lookie!

Ryan

wel ive seen it on autotrader ryan (maybe there, i think the guy sed it was in essex so maybe its the same one!)but its like 150 miles away from me so its a bit far for me to go just for a look!:eek:
link: http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...CARS&make=&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 2002 1.2 16v was on 140k miles and running better than ever, one of the quickest 1.2s ive ever driven (not that you get any quick ones lol!!)

as said on modern engines 100k+ is nothing, even for a renault! as long as its not been abused it'll be perfect

BMW E46 330i Touring
It actualy looks like quite a good'un: FRSH, tidy engine bay, interior looks fairly well maintained from the pics, nothing to speak of exterior-wise.

Might be worth a call to see if they'll sort the belts change, or take 600 off the price. £2k is cheap for a decent nick one, even in the ever-spiralling-downwards price structure of 1*2's!

I wouldn't expect to have it for much more than a couple years though, but £2k now for 100,000miles or £1.5k in 2 years time for 124,000miles, you're not going to lose a lot of money on it.

6/468 17poo
i might go have a look at this at the wkend if i get the chance, need to drive a few different 172s to get a comparison going!

What would the gear box and clutch be like?funked?