ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is a 172 supposed to sound like this?

Clio 172 Ph1
So following on from my other thread I now have a video - just want to make sure this isn't what a 172 normally runs like is it? It sounds rough as hell to me with the spluttering.

It goes away mostly when I turn the AC on which is really odd.

I've replaced HT leads and plugs so far, and I tested the injectors and they all seemed fine at about 13.9 ohms.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the revs raising when the AC is on stops it missing as much, hard to tell from the exhaust end, but doesn't sound too bad. Ph1's have an idle control valve don't they? Could be worth taking that off and giving it a good clean.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
A little bit more missy than normal but not horrific.

It will smooth out with raised idle of a/c.

Same issue with the megane 225 when injectors need changing, id stick a new set of injectors in if not already changed.

Clio 172 Ph1
Doesn't the Ph.1 also have a proper fuel filter?

Be worth changing that as well.
Good point, I'll head to euros tomorrow and grab a fuel filter. I'm sure the one that's in there has probably seen the entire 88k miles the car has on it

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If that's the case maybe do the filter first and see what happens? Could be it's filter element is breaking down.

Clio 172 Ph1
If that's the case maybe do the filter first and see what happens? Could be it's filter element is breaking down.
Injectors are already on the way now, I'll do the filter first and see what happens anyway, but seeing as I'll have the injectors too, I might as well fit them. The car is going to be driven hard on track as well as b roads. It's my only vehicle and I work remote.

I know it's just a Clio but I'm gonna be keeping this for 10+ years unless I move country. I'm actually looking for a body shop to take some dents out, freshen the paint, clean and wax the underside and do the windscreen (big crack in it). Also looks like I'm gonna need a gearbox, mine is squealing in 1st, 2nd and going into 5th.

I'll update in a couple days on the effect of the injectors/fuel filter.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds exactly as mine have always done when standard, with an RSTuner map with the slightly raised idle it disappears (the same as turning the AC on is doing for you). Also the best mod you can do to them imo, not only for that reason!

HOWEVER, I CANNOT believe that has a factory exhaust still on it, and working AC!!!!!

Clio 172 Ph1
That sounds exactly as mine have always done when standard, with an RSTuner map with the slightly raised idle it disappears (the same as turning the AC on is doing for you). Also the best mod you can do to them imo, not only for that reason!

HOWEVER, I CANNOT believe that has a factory exhaust still on it, and working AC!!!!!
I'll be getting the car mapped on the rollers once cams, exhaust, intake and porting are done. Engine mods are coming last though, I'm doing suspension, brakes and roll cage first!

Hahaha the back box on the exhaust fell off on the motorway last week driving up to scotland. It sounded like a group b rally car, the sheer volume of it was awful.
Got it welded up for £30 by a random Scottish mechanic.

Guy who bought this car new part exchanged it for a Renault 5 turbo, bet he regrets that now.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be getting the car mapped on the rollers once cams, exhaust, intake and porting are done. Engine mods are coming last though, I'm doing suspension, brakes and roll cage first!

Hahaha the back box on the exhaust fell off on the motorway last week driving up to scotland. It sounded like a group b rally car, the sheer volume of it was awful.
Got it welded up for £30 by a random Scottish mechanic.

Guy who bought this car new part exchanged it for a Renault 5 turbo, bet he regrets that now.
i take it that its a fairly tidy example given the standard exhaust and AC working lol, seems a shame to modify it just as they are starting to pick up value for good standard ones?!

Clio 172 Ph1
i take it that its a fairly tidy example given the standard exhaust and AC working lol, seems a shame to modify it just as they are starting to pick up value for good standard ones?!
It was tidy until 2 owners before me from what I gather. It was a 1 owner example up until 2020 and then 3 people owned it between 2020 and 2022 and it got a bit tatty. It sold for almost £6k in 2021. I bought it for £3600.

I'm cleaning up the body to make it look new under my ownership, and I will keep all the OEM parts I take off in storage to sell with it if I ever do sell it. But the reason I got a 172 was because I wanted an analog feeling car for fun, and to modify with high quality parts for the track and nurburgring seasons.

Have said elsewhere but I had a Boxster S before this, and that was a concours car, almost every option ticked from factory and completely mint. It always pissed me off I couldn't track it or thrash it too much because it was low mileage and too nice. That said I'm not going to ruin this Clio, I've already spent a quarter of what I paid for it in parts, Im just desperate to get it into a body shop to see if there is any hidden rust (none in the usual places so far being a London car) and get it fixed up and undersealed/waxed.

Clio 172 Ph1
4 brand new injectors, and she's exactly the same. Feels like a waste of £130 lol.

Should I return the injectors?

Any ideas on what it could be if not injectors or plugs/leads? I'd change the coil pack but it looks new.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Any codes at all if you scan it? I still think cleaning the ICV is a good idea, basically free too.
These engines seem to eat injectors so I'd probably keep the old set as a spare.

Clio 172 Ph1
Any codes at all if you scan it? I still think cleaning the ICV is a good idea, basically free too.
These engines seem to eat injectors so I'd probably keep the old set as a spare.
Check engine light comes on occasionally with P0420, cleared it after cleaning the old injectors last week before I actually replaced them today and it hasn't come back yet.

And then I have 2 persistent codes P0711 and B0500.

Only had a look at the car again tonight as work has been busy. I'll clean the ICV, and replace the fuel filter either tomorrow or on the weekend. Maybe I'll shove a new lambda on there after those 2 things but I don't know how hard it is to get to and I don't have my jack and stands currently as I'm between houses before I move into a new place.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Check engine light comes on occasionally with P0420, cleared it after cleaning the old injectors last week before I actually replaced them today and it hasn't come back yet.

And then I have 2 persistent codes P0711 and B0500.

Only had a look at the car again tonight as work has been busy. I'll clean the ICV, and replace the fuel filter either tomorrow or on the weekend. Maybe I'll shove a new lambda on there after those 2 things but I don't know how hard it is to get to and I don't have my jack and stands currently as I'm between houses before I move into a new place.
Those 2 codes always show up on a generic reader, nothing to worry about I don't think.
Are the videos of the car fully warm or straight after a start up? Anything change when it's cold/hot?

Clio 172 Ph1
Those 2 codes always show up on a generic reader, nothing to worry about I don't think.
Are the videos of the car fully warm or straight after a start up? Anything change when it's cold/hot?
It does it whether it's hot or cold, however sometimes when it's hot I think it does it a little bit more. It also sounds a bit dieselly in general, but I've heard that's normal for these engines. Dephaser was done with all other belts and water pump less than 3k.

I drove it this evening and it pulls harder, and doesn't feel like it's going to stall anymore when moving away and reversing, in fact I can just do it on the clutch with no throttle, which is great. So I'll keep the injectors whatever I do.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How does it pull, does it seem powerful enough?

You might find this mis goes away when it's mapped, as it's common for a higher idle rpm to be part of the map.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
These engines always seem to be a bit lumpy to a varying degree, I'd leave it as is as, like you say, it's driving better now; otherwise you're just firing the parts cannon at it blindly. If it gets worse re-visit, if it stays the same I wouldn't worry.

Clio 172 Ph1
How does it pull, does it seem powerful enough?

You might find this mis goes away when it's mapped, as it's common for a higher idle rpm to be part of the map.
Honestly pulls very hard right the way through the rev range. Decent amount of torque down low too.

I'll throw on the fuel filter and be done with it for now. It's going into diamond motors anyway in a couple of weeks for a general check up of the bits I don't have the time for currently.

Clio 172 Ph1
Ok so this developed for the worse. It is now running on 3 cylinders (cylinder 1 isn't firing). I lifted the cyl 1 HT lead off the coil pack and no change in running, same when I unplug cyl 1 injector. Code P0314.

Injectors are new
Plugs are new
HT leads are new
Coil pack doesn't look too old, and sparks just fine
No oil in coolant
No residue on oil cap
No vapour from exhaust

At some point in the next 24 hours I'll lift the intake manifold and see if the cyl 1 lead is working alright.

In the meantime any suggestions? Could the leads I bought be s**t?

Clio 172 Ph1
Ok yeah that was stupid of me but I'll probably throw the old HT lead back on cyl 1 and see what happens will also check plugs

Clio 172 Ph1
I drove it pretty hard on some nice roads yesterday, and I started it and drove halfway to the shops today and it started running on 3 all of a sudden just as it was warming up.